Happy 9th Birthday, All That You Can't Leave Behind!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first U2 album as well! Each song reminds me of a different place/time at that point in my life, with different emotions and memories.

Not their greatest work, but definitely the one I feel connected with the most!
QUOTE]

I completely agree with this. It takes me back to that fall of 2000. My awkward year off between HS and college. I was 18 and worked night shift in a factory, meanwhile all my friends were off to college/military. I had no girlfriend, and I lived in a very small town with literally nothing to do. The only people I encountered were disgruntled factory workers. Basically, that was the loneliest, most miserable time of my life.

Then ATYCLB came out. I was a fan of U2, had been for a few years, but I never really "got it" until I heard BD, Stuck in a moment, Walk On, Kite, WILATW, etc for the first time. The entire album really helped me through each day in that dark time of my life. Seeing U2 climb back on top was inspirational to me, and I followed suit. I began to listen to their previous albums in a new way. I quit that factory job when they wouldn't let me take a day off to see U2 in Columbus in 2001 (plus I really hated the job and didn't want to be a miserable factory guy my whole life). Then I went to college, made friends, got a career, met a girl, got married, etc.

I love ATYCLB. It may not be groundbreaking. It may not be their best album by miles and miles. It may be U2 desperately pandering to the masses for their own self preservation. But it's also an album full of songs that have meant a lot to my life, that I have deep attachments to. It is MY ALBUM.

I like ATYCLB. It isn't even close to being my favorite U2 album, and would never want to see them repeat it. It feels somewhat dumbed-down compared to the beautifully complex monster-albums on the 90s, but taking it for what it is, it is a great album. Beautiful Day is epic, Walk On is beautiful, and Kite, IALW, TGBHF, and WILATW are some really great gems. I've even started to like Stuck more lately, even if the lyrics aren't very good. I still loathe Elevation, but it's cool that they at least found a good place for it on the 360 setlist (thematically).

So happy birthday indeed.

Sitting here listening to Walk On (Julian's Hallelujah Mix) as I didn't get around to listen to the album yesterday. Once again, it resonates to the core of this very soul. It's such a beautiful, powerful song that has lifted me up out of the blues, carried me on it's shoulders when I needed support and made me believe in myself so many times I have lost count. It's also the first U2 song that made me weep in public, and I am not ashamed of admitting it either: edge89s blog – U2360° TOUR Gothenburg – Last.fm (During night 2, go down quite a bit on that page to read the brief details.) It's amazing how much of an impact one single song can have on somebody - that's just one of the ways I can tell that U2 is the best rockband of all time.
:love:

I went on a first date with a woman from my college English class the night before ATYCLB was released. I told her not to expect me in class the next morning. The new U2 album is out and I'm getting it first thing in the morning. She couldn't understand this obsession with having the album right away and she didn't believe I would actually ditch class for a rock n' roll band. In fact, she came over to my apartment the next morning hoping we could walk to class together and I told her it was a great idea, but I'm not going to class. I'm going to get the new U2 album.

She was with me last weekend in the inner circle in Pasadena. "Oh, can't you see what love has done." :heart:

Awww. That's adorable.

Happy bday ATYCLB! I great back-to-basics album, that was a few outtakes short of being in their top echelon, 'Kite' is still my favorite U2 song from this decade, and 'Walk On' was the song that solidified them to me, being like 13 when this album came out I obviously knew U2 and their hits but I had never been a part of the release cycle while paying attention (I started watching music videos and such around 98, just after Pop faded away), so it's a time I'll always look back on, and look at what it's fostered in me. :heart::heart::heart::heart:

I can not believe it's now been almost a decade since this release, my how time flies.

Yeah, for shits and giggles, I just couldn't resist the urge to post my favorite tracks from greatest to least:

1- Walk On
2- Kite
3- In a Little While
4- New York
5- Beautiful Day
6- When I Look at the World
7- Elevation
8- Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out of
9- Wild Honey
10- Peace on Earth
11- Grace

Whoa. It's been nine years? Wow, time flies.
I've always loved ATYCLB. Not a perfect album by any means, but Stuck, Walk On, Kite, In A Little While, New York, When I Look At The World, and, of course, Beautiful Day, are just magic. And you know what? The rest of 'em aren't half-bad either. Happy birthday, ATYCLB, and here's to many more. :wave:

EDIT: Definitely seconding the requests to see a full version of WILATW live. :drool:

Edge says they wrote/recorded WILATW so quickly they couldn't remember just what they did when they tried to pull it off live.

Yeah, for shits and giggles, I just couldn't resist the urge to post my favorite tracks from greatest to least:

1- Walk On
2- Kite
3- In a Little While
4- New York
5- Beautiful Day
6- When I Look at the World
7- Elevation
8- Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out of
9- Wild Honey
10- Peace on Earth
11- Grace

i'll bite.

Kite - best song of the decade in my opinion, and best since probably Gone
When I Look at the World
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Walk On
Beautiful Day
In a Little While
Stuck in a Moment
New York
Wild Honey
Peace on Earth
Grace
Elevation - the only song I don't really like

Loved the album then, love it now. It was so popular to bash ATYCLB here 5 years ago, so I'm glad to see some love in this thread.

The album has a certain feel that I love-a freshness that I can really appreciate. The only thing that would have made the album better was to have the original tracklisting before Edge switched it at the last minute.

I'm a believer that the album is a masterpiece. The only song that's a bit of a clunker IMO is Peace on Earth...but I think every U2 album has it's clunker, except Achtung Baby.

Yes, happy birthday ATYCLB!

I was 13 at the time and certainly not following releases nor did I know much about U2 beyond the super hits. I do have some fond memories of hearing it in my aunt's car in 2000-01 and of stories she told about going to all of the Elevation Boston shows!

Looking back, no one can deny that it was the album that made U2 not only relevant, but absolutely huge again. This gave them a whole new generation of fans to experiment on with NLOTH and hopefully SOA. I am also of the mind that HTDAAB and Vertigo Tour inspired alot of new fans(myself included) to explore all the way back to Boy and then go forward in the catalog! None of this would have happened, IMHO, without the return to relevance and success that came with ATYCLB!

So Happy Birthday to an overall great album(though certainly far from my favorite) with many inspired songs and melodies! Brightest candles on this cake are Kite, Walk On, WILATW, BD and In A Little While. I love Tomb Raider mix and most live versions of Elevation, but God does the album mix suck! My only real complaint. Dont love or hate Grace and Wild Honey, just ok. I go back and forth on Stuck, but its objectively a great song!

I hope it was a great birthday, but please, please no more taking up 5 songs in the 360 set list! War, UF, JT, AB and Pop would never get the same priviledge!

Yes, happy birthday ATYCLB!

I was 13 at the time and certainly not following releases nor did I know much about U2 beyond the super hits. I do have some fond memories of hearing it in my aunt's car in 2000-01 and of stories she told about going to all of the Elevation Boston shows!

Looking back, no one can deny that it was the album that made U2 not only relevant, but absolutely huge again. This gave them a whole new generation of fans to experiment on with NLOTH and hopefully SOA. I am also of the mind that HTDAAB and Vertigo Tour inspired alot of new fans(myself included) to explore all the way back to Boy and then go forward in the catalog! None of this would have happened, IMHO, without the return to relevance and success that came with ATYCLB!

So Happy Birthday to an overall great album(though certainly far from my favorite) with many inspired songs and melodies! Brightest candles on this cake are Kite, Walk On, WILATW, BD and In A Little While. I love Tomb Raider mix and most live versions of Elevation, but God does the album mix suck! My only real complaint. Dont love or hate Grace and Wild Honey, just ok. I go back and forth on Stuck, but its objectively a great song!

I hope it was a great birthday, but please, please no more taking up 5 songs in the 360 set list! War, UF, JT, AB and Pop would never get the same priviledge!

Happy birthday. Now FUCK OFF.

:wink:

I know this album gets a lot of bashing on this board, but I :heart: it a lot. It still means a lot to me, in fact, more now than it originally did. And I don't mind U2 playing some stuff from the album live. I love In a little while and I totally adore the Vertigo tour live version of Kite. Beautiful Day live still gives me shivers, even though I heard it so many times, it's simply a U2 signature tune that stands for so many things that make U2 special. I also love the accoustic versions of Stuck, unlike many others. I heard the album version on the radio yesterday and was so confused because I'm not used to hearing this version any more.

It's an uplifting beautiful album, one of U2's best.

Here's the thing with ATYCLB: the songs that are great are REALLY great, and the songs that suck REALLY suck.

Which also applies to...wait... :lol:

:wink:

In honor of the b-day, one of the best songs imo:

YouTube - U2 - when you look at the world

I'm in the waiting room
Can't see for the smoke
I think of you and your holy book
When the rest of us choke

Tell me, tell me...what do you see?
Tell me, tell me...what's wrong with me.

eta: someone mentioned that ATYCLB reminded them of 9/11. Someone else remarked that it brought them back to U2. Still another said that with it they finally 'got U2'. ATYCLB sortof did bring me back to U2, at a time when I thought that we were finished (in a current sense...there would always be a U2 history in my life but..). And it couldn't have come at a better time as I was really flattened by the WTC tragedy and everything that happened around it. It helped me get through some really dark times in my marriage and thru the tour I met a person who is really special to me and likely will be for life. Even if it isn't my favorite U2 album, it's got a hugely important place in my 'relationship' with the band. If that makes any sense..

WILAW is pretty cool musically, but sucks balls lyrically.

Kite is the second best song from this decade, after Moment of Surrender. In a LIttle While is fantastic. Wild Honey is cute. New York is interesting musically but lyrics blow for most part. BD is pretty cool. The rest sort of suck.

I liked the album when it came out, then grew to despise it. Now my feelings have softened a tad. Overall, it may be slightly more listenable than Atomic Bomb. Both albums are at the bottom of the U2 pile for me though.

Thanks for crapping on an appreciation thread, there's plenty of threads in the 360 forums to hate on ATYCLB.

Back
Top Bottom