Local Time: 10:29 PM
ATYCLB

Not TJT or AB kinda but still

RE: ATYCLB's b/day No one tell's Ian & no one gets hurt

SethVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:59 PM
It's a great album, it has a nice airy, fresh feel to it even to this day. Even though some tracks may not exactly set my world on fire (In a Little While, Grace, Wild Honey). Peace on Earth and New York are two overlooked tracks that I enjoy quite a bit, the latter more so than the former.

Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:39 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:59 AM
happy birthday AYCLB
at the supermarket earlier, walk on was playing and this other guy was in the next isle singing his heart out , it made my day .

can't believe its taken me 9 years to get my heart in a suitcase tatoo!
it reminds me of all the things you take with you in your life and lived experience.
i may have to get the elevation dvd out and give it a go , its been a while.
mysterious_jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:00 AM   #24
The Fly

Local Time: 07:29 PM
I went on a first date with a woman from my college English class the night before ATYCLB was released. I told her not to expect me in class the next morning. The new U2 album is out and I'm getting it first thing in the morning. She couldn't understand this obsession with having the album right away and she didn't believe I would actually ditch class for a rock n' roll band. In fact, she came over to my apartment the next morning hoping we could walk to class together and I told her it was a great idea, but I'm not going to class. I'm going to get the new U2 album.

She was with me last weekend in the inner circle in Pasadena. "Oh, can't you see what love has done."
branwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:47 AM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 02:29 AM
I remember that day 9 years ago and i was totally crazy with BD, still is today
sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:32 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Happy B-day!!!
Well it's the album that made me a U2 fan so it's still special for me although it's not their best.
Walk On, Beautiful Day, Kite, In A Little While...
nielsgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #27
Acrobat

My first U2 album as well! Each song reminds me of a different place/time at that point in my life, with different emotions and memories.

Not their greatest work, but definitely the one I feel connected with the most!

Walk On and Wild Honey ftw
Zoo_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #28
Refugee

Local Time: 07:29 PM
This was my 8th U2 album... heh, heh... it's a nice collection of heavy-soul songs (lyrically) given a guitar-pop sheen with the usual Edge tones. When they dropped this one, I hadn't listened to them for 5 or 6 years and had actually lost interest in them. I was curious about the huge interest in their commerical comeback, so I bought this album and... hated it at first. But it soon grew on me.

It's like an album of small pleasures but with the typical gargantuan U2 approach... if that makes any sense.

(My only continued gripe about this record is the mixing -- way too much voice draped all over the songs, and not enough hard guitar and bass.)
65980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #29
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Happy birthday BD, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, When I Look At the World!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Happy birthday BD, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, When I Look At the World!
I love Edge's playing on When I Look at the World.

MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #31
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
I love Edge's playing on When I Look at the World.

Same here! I wish they would attempt it live in full, with two guitars like on the album. I love that song, it's my fave off the album.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:29 PM
My first U2 album and, though not their best, probably the one most dear to me
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

[QUOTE=Zoo_Fly;6497427]My first U2 album as well! Each song reminds me of a different place/time at that point in my life, with different emotions and memories.

Not their greatest work, but definitely the one I feel connected with the most!
QUOTE]

I completely agree with this. It takes me back to that fall of 2000. My awkward year off between HS and college. I was 18 and worked night shift in a factory, meanwhile all my friends were off to college/military. I had no girlfriend, and I lived in a very small town with literally nothing to do. The only people I encountered were disgruntled factory workers. Basically, that was the loneliest, most miserable time of my life.

Then ATYCLB came out. I was a fan of U2, had been for a few years, but I never really "got it" until I heard BD, Stuck in a moment, Walk On, Kite, WILATW, etc for the first time. The entire album really helped me through each day in that dark time of my life. Seeing U2 climb back on top was inspirational to me, and I followed suit. I began to listen to their previous albums in a new way. I quit that factory job when they wouldn't let me take a day off to see U2 in Columbus in 2001 (plus I really hated the job and didn't want to be a miserable factory guy my whole life). Then I went to college, made friends, got a career, met a girl, got married, etc.

I love ATYCLB. It may not be groundbreaking. It may not be their best album by miles and miles. It may be U2 desperately pandering to the masses for their own self preservation. But it's also an album full of songs that have meant a lot to my life, that I have deep attachments to. It is MY ALBUM.
The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 PM
I like ATYCLB. It isn't even close to being my favorite U2 album, and would never want to see them repeat it. It feels somewhat dumbed-down compared to the beautifully complex monster-albums on the 90s, but taking it for what it is, it is a great album. Beautiful Day is epic, Walk On is beautiful, and Kite, IALW, TGBHF, and WILATW are some really great gems. I've even started to like Stuck more lately, even if the lyrics aren't very good. I still loathe Elevation, but it's cool that they at least found a good place for it on the 360 setlist (thematically).

So happy birthday indeed.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #35
New Yorker

Happy Birthady

But you're my least favourite album (but that's for another time and another thread ) Let's celebrate!!
Tyagu_Anaykus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Sitting here listening to Walk On (Julian's Hallelujah Mix) as I didn't get around to listen to the album yesterday. Once again, it resonates to the core of this very soul. It's such a beautiful, powerful song that has lifted me up out of the blues, carried me on it's shoulders when I needed support and made me believe in myself so many times I have lost count. It's also the first U2 song that made me weep in public, and I am not ashamed of admitting it either: edge89s blog – U2360° TOUR Gothenburg – Last.fm (During night 2, go down quite a bit on that page to read the brief details.) It's amazing how much of an impact one single song can have on somebody - that's just one of the ways I can tell that U2 is the best rockband of all time.
The_Edge89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #37
you are what you is

happy bday

inspirational album
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #38
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
When I Look At the World!
MoodyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by branwalls View Post
I went on a first date with a woman from my college English class the night before ATYCLB was released. I told her not to expect me in class the next morning. The new U2 album is out and I'm getting it first thing in the morning. She couldn't understand this obsession with having the album right away and she didn't believe I would actually ditch class for a rock n' roll band. In fact, she came over to my apartment the next morning hoping we could walk to class together and I told her it was a great idea, but I'm not going to class. I'm going to get the new U2 album.

She was with me last weekend in the inner circle in Pasadena. "Oh, can't you see what love has done."
Awww. That's adorable.

Happy bday ATYCLB! I great back-to-basics album, that was a few outtakes short of being in their top echelon, 'Kite' is still my favorite U2 song from this decade, and 'Walk On' was the song that solidified them to me, being like 13 when this album came out I obviously knew U2 and their hits but I had never been a part of the release cycle while paying attention (I started watching music videos and such around 98, just after Pop faded away), so it's a time I'll always look back on, and look at what it's fostered in me.

I can not believe it's now been almost a decade since this release, my how time flies.
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:29 PM

Yeah, for shits and giggles, I just couldn't resist the urge to post my favorite tracks from greatest to least:

1- Walk On
2- Kite
3- In a Little While
4- New York
5- Beautiful Day
6- When I Look at the World
7- Elevation
8- Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out of
9- Wild Honey
10- Peace on Earth
11- Grace

MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote