Happy 20th birthday, Zooropa!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
It was twenty years ago that this album was released to the public. And what a nice little odd fella it is. After Achtung Baby it's my favourite U2 album. Love the sounds and the experimentation.

So Zooropa, here's to you!
Zooropa Turns 20 - Stereogum

I think it's my second favorite after Achtung Baby, too. Such a fantastic album.

" When Bono writes off Zooropa as their “art rock phase,” it’s a bummer not just because he’s sidelining one of their most interesting albums, but because it suggests they’d never be open to such unbridled experiments again. That’s a shame, because we deserve one more daring U2 album before they pack it in."

Perfectly said.

Daring and fascinating album released in the midst of what was arguably their most interesting phase... can't believe it's been 20 years since I saw those videos for the first time on the good old MTV.

Stay. The album is worth it just for Stay. The First Time is also lovely. I'll stand by Dirty Day too -- one of their more menacing rock tracks and a bit of a forgotten gem.

When I first really got into U2 in about 1996 I heard Zooropa for the 1st time. I knew of Numb but what followed from that album helped me turn into a U2 fanatic!!

Seeing Zooropa and Stay in Anahiem 2011 was a treat!!

Zooropa came out about 6 weeks after I graduated high school. I was completely blindsided by Numb on the radio. "This is U2? Wait, WTF? Is that Edge? And they have a new album coming out?" And then later the hilarious video.

U2 were absolutely in an awesome creative zone back then. In the studio and out.

Happy 20th birthday Zooropa! Was born same day as me :)
Remember hearing the CD in the Virgin Megastore in London during a class trip when I was 16. I was already into U2 (since 89) and after AB I thought they coudn't go further with experimentation, but I was obviously wrong.... was kind of shocked to hear Numb and Lemon in the Virgin store..... remember that I was listening carefully, then a classmate bought the CD for my birthday 20 minutes later..... WOW, great moments!:up:

zooropa.jpg

Listening to an original UK pressing of the album that an old friend from another message board picked up at a shop in the UK back in the early 2000's and was kind enough to send to me.

20 years later the album still sounds fresh and exciting. I remember the summer of 1993, and this album was about to come out. I being in Southern California, about to turn 16 and really about to embark on a U2 journey that would cost me a lot of allowance money (I didn't get summer jobs because all I wanted to do in the summer while going to school was stay in my bedroom and listen to music all night) and that is another point I want to make. It is interesting that this album, a very Eno-esque album, that is very "Euro" came out in the summer. This is a very night time album. Like most U2 albums they always seem to be associated with seasons and the time. Unforgettable Fire is the the cold winter, the Joshua Tree is a dry desert in the summer. Zooropa, it is the sound of four men journeying into the under belly of a city and I often wonder how much if it was a result of the fact that they'd just finish a concert, fly off to their recording studio and lay down these tracks at midnight... As you know, midnight is when the day begins.

So it was the summer of 93. I had my father take to me to the now defunct Music Plus CD store.. I throw down a chunk of change to buy this CD as well as U2's first 3 albums because my only goal that summer was to listen to and absorb everything U2 because that is what happens when you become obsessed.

I made the mistake of listening to a lot of the Joshua Tree, renting Rattle and Hum on VHS until I found a copy for 6 dollars new at a music store.. So before I got to listen to Zooropa I already absorbed U2's 80's catalog.. which as we all know was very anthemic catalog, big guitar, big songs, Bono singing very passionately.

Zooropa... none of that. So 15 going on 16 me was left scratching my head. Also, given my age and the year this album came out, 1993.. the summer of grunge.. This album was different. I honestly never listened to Brian Eno, David Bowie, anything remotely Euro and actually good (other than all that damn 80's U2 I absorbed) so.. yeah..I warmed up to it. What helped was listening to it on my DISCMAN! at night, alone in my room. The production, the slivers of Edge's guitar work, it was there coming through the headphones and into my ears... But still. I wasn't ready for it.

So 20 years later. I am obsessive music collector.. Been a U2 fan for 22 years. My musical palate has greatly expanded. And, I can honestly say this album is amazing. What you don't get 20 years ago makes a whole-hell-a lot of sense 20 years later as an adult about to turn 36.

I look back on this era of U2 and how it really culminated with Passengers and man, what a roller coaster ride.

One of their best and most underrated, this was the time when they didnt give a shit about making hits or not.
Maybe Paul Mcguinness was on holiday when they released it...

From what I remember reading a while back, is that Zooropa was a thrown around idea enveloped by
Bono

And just coming of the high that Achtung Baby brought in, they all thought it was a little stupid to try and make another album right off the back of AB while still touring. Looks like it worked pretty well in the end... :shrug:

It is interesting that this album, a very Eno-esque album, that is very "Euro" came out in the summer. This is a very night time album. Like most U2 albums they always seem to be associated with seasons and the time. Unforgettable Fire is the the cold winter, the Joshua Tree is a dry desert in the summer. Zooropa, it is the sound of four men journeying into the under belly of a city and I often wonder how much if it was a result of the fact that they'd just finish a concert, fly off to their recording studio and lay down these tracks at midnight... As you know, midnight is when the day begins.

Well said. :up: It really is a night time album, come to think of it. Enjoyed reading your nostalgic memories. :D

I have similar memories but didn't get this album physically until the 00s. In 1993 I was just enjoying those videos like Numb, Lemon and Stay on TV and they played a big part in cementing my status as an uber fan. I think the icing on the cake was the fantastic Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me song which made me a crazy fan forever! In fact, I think I went and saw Batman Forever just for that song and Jim Carrey!! But I digress. Zooropa was an exciting time that was funnily dismissed by many U2 fans at the time as far as I can remember. "They have lost their way" they said. "They've become all weird."

I made the mistake of dismissing it for years after I first became a fan. Now it's certainly my favourite album of theirs and I think will be for the long haul. I have written about it muchly in the past already so I'm just gonna listen to it now instead. bless

I bought this album a few days after it came out. I was a baby-faced 17 back then. I remember listening to it that night, on a head-set, in the dark.

I've mentioned my history with Zooropa on these boards before, I bought it in college in the mid-90s and hated it. Too weird, I guess. But I eventually rediscovered it and now it's my 3rd favorite U2 album, I really love it. Zooropa, Lemon and Stay are some of the best U2 tracks out there. Happy birthday Z!

I bought that album while I was in the UK for the summer of 93. I bought the album and then had to wait two whole hours to listen to it, so I pored over the lyrics, parsing them for meaning and trying to guess which song would sound like what. (I was mostly wrong.)

So Zooropa has the same birthday as America?

And Wiki says it was released on 5 July?

You ever heard of time zones? Congratulations on making the only condescending post in the thread though.

Anyway, a truly great album, I'd say it's my third favourite these days after AB and JT.

I hope that one day this forum collectively realises that Babyface and in particular Some Days Are Better Than Others are great songs.

One of their best and most underrated, this was the time when they didnt give a shit about making hits or not.
Maybe Paul Mcguinness was on holiday when they released it...
Well, I think they've always cared about hits, including in the early 90s.

Maybe the reason this one came out a bit different -- regarding the 'weird-singles' -- is because the project was conceived as a small tour-addendum, and as an E.P. They didn't go into it expecting to make an album.

The problem with U2's studio work is that they over-think everything. With the notable exception of Achtung Baby, all their best albums emerge from having strict deadlines, short recording times, or by accident (Zooropa).

I hated it when it came out. Lots of U2 fans hated it. It was reviled. Takling about "Achtung Baby" made people gab, taking about "Zooropa"? not so much.

But title track had me from the get go. Possibly the best thing they've ever put to tape. Seeing/hearing it live was the definition of satisfying.

I don't listen to the album a lot, but it has grown on me. Still, not my favourite one, I still skip certain songs. However, hearing Zooropa live during the 360 tour made me appreciate the title track much more.

I remember reading a magazine that a new album was to come out and I was a newly minted fan after Achtung Baby. When Numb came out I was ecstatic. It was so funny and so cool. I had weird ideas about the band before AB. I thought Edge couldn't play guitar because you have to sound like Eddie Van Halen or Slash to be really good. Around this time I was giving up on radio and top 40 in general and Zooropa was something I could embrace because at this point I could see that U2 was different and not sounding like anyone else was on purpose (the opposite of Top 40 radio). So many people criticized it and were shocked I would defend it, especially Lemon. Many simply ditched U2 for Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, and Nirvana. They felt U2 was an old dinosaur band that was past it's prime. I remember in high school playing AB and Zooropa and whenever Numb would appear this one guy would get up off his chair and turn off my tape. That's how attached to old U2 some were and how betrayed they felt.

Fuck them! U2 surpassed all those bands and we still have another hotly anticipated U2 album coming out soon. What a band!

Back
Top Bottom