Happy 13th, Pop!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Must admit, the day of your birth was a bit of a disappointment Mr. Pop, but I grew to love you more as you grew up each year!

Happy birthday, you fully deserve your place in the U2 body of work.

happy birthday POP...i loved it, then i hated it and four years ago i felt in love again with POP. great album with fantastic lyrics!
:up::up::up::applaud::drool::D

Let me tell you about my 1997. and hearing Discotheque, then getting PoP at Virgin Megastores before it went bust. and getting the singles on cassettes still, for my walkman, LOL!
But the best buzz was Tues, 26th Aug and U2 bringing PoP to here. My gawd, that was one HELL of a night! :up::up::up::up:

Loved and still love the album.

not only is "POP" one of my favorite albums of all time, but it went a long way in shaping my overall taste in music.

Happy Birthday POP

U2's most underrated album and one of rock n rolls most underrated albums ever. Bono (lyrics), Edge (tones/sounds), Adam (melodies/riffs), Larry (beats/texures) all brought there A+ game!!

Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
If God Will Send His Angels
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Miami
Playboy Mansion
Velvet Dress
Please
Wake Up Deadman

Flow together like no other :)

Let me tell you about my 1997. and hearing Discotheque, then getting PoP at Virgin Megastores before it went bust. and getting the singles on cassettes still, for my walkman, LOL!
But the best buzz was Tues, 26th Aug and U2 bringing PoP to here. My gawd, that was one HELL of a night! :up::up::up::up:
Loved and still love the album.
@mad1: yes, what a night at botanic gardens, with the plane crossing the center of the spotlights/lightdome during BTBS. i was on a oneweek holiday trip through irland.
great show, maybe the loudest of my life... next day i was dizzydeaf with some kind of a tinnitus syndrome. there was party everywhere on our way from the belfast city center to botanic garden. all the people were very relaxed with much anticipation.:up:

Plane flying during BTBS? gosh, I think I can remember that, obviously it was unplanned, but that woulda been round or after 10pm?

:D

Oh god yes, the number of people out with me lined across the road and the bridge was amazing. and the residents living just where their homes overlooked the stadium gettin a free concert, LOL! :up:

WOW 13 years already? To this day, I still love Discotheque and loved it the day it was leaked online! I really hate how U2 remixed the POP songs for the Best of 1990-2000 because the originals are WAY better.

Plane flying during BTBS? gosh, I think I can remember that, obviously it was unplanned, but that woulda been round or after 10pm?

:D

Oh god yes, the number of people out with me lined across the road and the bridge was amazing. and the residents living just where their homes overlooked the stadium gettin a free concert, LOL! :up:

What about the plan? What about Larry's back? I love Pop tales (stories from that era).

Hmm... can't say I've listened to the actual POP album in awhile. Think I may just get started on that right now (usually I have the single versions of IGWSHA, LNOE and Please replacing their album counterparts).

Good album :up: Wish I was a fan back when it came out...

Or not... :shifty: Was it a hard time for U2 fans in '97? Would have been really cool to see POPmart, though :drool:

Oh yeah, NLOTH came out 12 years after it, to the day. Happy birthday to both of them, fantastic in their own ways. However... Pop would be infinitely better without Miami, and fit into Bono's love of 11 track albums (funny enough, AB is THE BEST EVER!!!! and has 12, but still).

Oh yeah, NLOTH came out 12 years after it, to the day. Happy birthday to both of them, fantastic in their own ways. However... Pop would be infinitely better without Miami, and fit into Bono's love of 11 track albums (funny enough, AB is THE BEST EVER!!!! and has 12, but still).

Huh? Didn't NLOTH come out February 27? :scratch: I'm quite sure I bought it that day! Am I confusing things?

*POP*:love:
Adam's best album, rivaled only by Zooropa and No Line On The Horizon! Some of the most lovey dovey stuff I've heard from Mr.Clayton for sure.

Edge gazed into the next millenium* and predicted that electropop would be one of the dominating genres worldwide (Muse, Lady Gaga, La Roux, M83, MGMT, TV on The Radio, Radiohead etc etc) early on in the 21st century. Dare I say he might even use this electro sound again for the next record?

Bono took the Achtung Baby approach to the next level by giving the lyrics an even more personal, darker and introspective mood with MOFO, Please and Gone just to mention a few.

Larry...hated the drum machines. ;)

* I give you, MIAMI - Being Born http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zh92g7Dr88

EDIT:
Oh, please bring back some live interpretations for the continuation of the 360 tour!
The Claw was basically born for a return of these songs!
Discotheque, MOFO, If God Will Send His Angels (rehearsed in Barcelona 2009) etc!
And one more thing; the "New mixes" = :down:. Don't tinker with this album!

I think for the U.S. it was March 3.
Holland, Ireland and Germany I think got the album on February 27th, while the rest of Europe got it on March 2nd. The US release date was the 3rd. The official date for Sweden on the other hand was March 4th, but I was lucky and got the album already on February 27th as well, much to my surprise and delight! :hyper:

So, wow, 13 years since U2 has a top 20 hit

Beautiful Day and Vertigo didn't make it into the top 20?

I don't pay much attention to the charts anymore, so I honestly don't know, but I'll be really surprised if that's the case. I would have thought for sure those two charted well, based on the radio play they both got.

I feel it was released either too soon and the public wasn’t ready for such a complicated album, or it was released too late, as the public began its decline into idiocracy.

On one hand it’s a shame that Pop was never accepted as well as War, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby or ATYCLB and HTDAAB. On the other, I am happy that it’s a rare, misunderstood gem, that I can truly call the album that I connect with the most, making it ‘my album’.

Pop is truly the lost classic. :heart::up:

Happy birthday, Pop. It’s well deserved.

I think for the U.S. it was March 3.

Ah right, that makes sense. It was the whole friday-monday thing, as we get new cds on fridays and you guys got them on mondays. Or something like that.

I agree on everything said about Adam here. Pop is totally his album and has been his best work till NLOTH! I'm tieing the two. Loving the synthbass riff on Mofo, the regular mofo bassriff, DYFL, gone, LNOE, too much to mention!

They sure did here where I live.

Very good album. Pop. Not a fan of the tour or the era in particular, but Pop is good, I still enjoy listening to it, it has some amazing tunes. It could have been a great album.

I don't pay much attention to the charts anymore, so I honestly don't know, but I'll be really surprised if that's the case. I would have thought for sure those two charted well, based on the radio play they both got.

They charted well but I think he's right. If itunes downloads were counted into the chart when Vertigo was released, I'm pretty sure it'd have been top 10 at least. Beautiful Day was 21 on the hot 100 and Vertigo 31.

Back
Top Bottom