Happy 12th Birthday, Discotheque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
The Discotheque single was commercially released on February 3/4, 1997.

Happy birthday Discotheque!

*Continues killing time waiting for NLOTH to leak*

A much better lead single than GOYB. Beautiful Day and Vertigo were better lead singles than GOYB, too, now that I think about it. Oh well!

U2's seventh best lead single, but great no matter what.

A much better lead single than GOYB. Beautiful Day and Vertigo were better lead singles than GOYB, too, now that I think about it. Oh well!

I agree with the latter, not the former. "Discotheque" killed "Pop". If you saw the comments from radio stations around the globe (!), you could tell that while the aspect of "new U2" initially made this song a hit, it wore fast and dropped quickly from the charts, taking "Pop" along with it. Shame really - probably would've made a great second or third single.

As for GOYB, too early to tell. I think its impact will be like "The Fly". It tells the world new U2 is out, but it'll be the apparent radio-friendly "classics", which await us, that will determine if NLOTH is a hit or not.

The Discotheque single was commercially released on February 3/4, 1997.

Happy birthday Discotheque!

*Continues killing time waiting for NLOTH to leak*

Yeah...that was a top 10 song in the U.S. a lot of people don't know that...the last time U2 put out physical singles in America...Edge's badass riff...nice!! :up:

Well if there’s one song you’d want to go out for a celebratory drink with, it’s Discotheque.

Not brash, bold or just great enough to really kick it home as a single, but as a song, not as good as the Fly or Beautiful Day, but kicks both Vertigo and GOYB around the block. Vertigo never even saw it coming.

However, those Village People outfits should have been left for the wrap party, not pulled out during the actual filming.

Twelve years hey? I remember going to a house/pool party, on Valentines Day, Discotheque booming at one point, and…. well… the then 18yr old Earnie had a great night :flirt:

You can reach but you cant grab it....love the song and always will hard to believe the kmart press coference was 12 years ago though....I still think that was a cool idea to this day :)

Welcome Popmart shoppers! :)

YOU KNOW YOU'RE CHEWING BUBBLE GUM
YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS, BUT YOU STILL WANT SOME
CAUSE YOU JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THAT LOVIE DOVIE STUFF

:|
Wait...

If I'm chewing Bubblegum, and I know what it is...and I still want some (But I'm chewing it...so why would I want some more...If I'm not necssarily done with that piece...)

And I'm all confused...but that's okay...

Cause I can't get enought of it...it's "Lovie Dovie"

I still don't understand

It's been a while since I've listened to this one. Time to fix that!

I remember seeing the video for the first time. I was living with a friend at the time, and her reaction was pretty much " ..... um. Oooooookay." While I stood next to her jumping up and down like a crazy person.

Good times.

swoon.gif

i still remember the first time i saw it. it was when the video premiered on mtv. even then i thought it was a fucking amazing song. still love it!

You can reach but you cant grab it....love the song and always will hard to believe the kmart press coference was 12 years ago though....I still think that was a cool idea to this day :)

Welcome Popmart shoppers! :)

Remind me again what that was? it's been a while.

The K-Mart thing? They announced their tour at a press conference in a K-Mart. They played one or two songs, I think Holy Joe was one of them.

... I think.

An innocuous phrase I read many years ago stuck in my mind when describing Sunday Bloody Sunday: it was a great song not just because of Edge's riff, but because over its 4:41 playing time it evolves through several equally memorable sections. At the end of it, you sit back and it feels like a whole, complete, fleshed out piece of art. Not just the riff, but the cohesive sound that's layered on top of it. It...fits.

Discotheque does this. Yeah, the song has another great Edge riff, but it throws so many parts at you it's almost dizzying.
the swirly opening
the overdrive of "looking for the one", Bono singing like a tart
the middle 8 with the drum fill
the riff in the left speaker during the chorus "you know you're chewing bubble gum"
the way the verse riff drops out during "let go", then kicks back in
the chiming bridge, and Bono's last verse
ah ah ah ah ah ah
"ah hey, not enough"
at 4:55......

The album version is best heard with little bass. If you're an Adam fan the Vertigo version finds a groove for him, but I find little place for him here underneath Edge's effects. That's the one mark against Discotheque: otherwise as far as I'm concerned, it sets the standard for a dense, addictive rocker. Endlessly listenable, endlessly enjoyable.

Am I imagining things, or was there a new mix of discotheque on the 1990-2000 CD?

Not only can I not find this (after not finding I thought maybe it doesnt exist), but I couldnt find regular Discotheque on iTunes either. What the deuce? :scratch:

Yes, there was a 'New Mix' also known as Mike Hedges New Mix IIRC.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE CHEWING BUBBLE GUM
YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS, BUT YOU STILL WANT SOME
CAUSE YOU JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THAT LOVIE DOVIE STUFF

Wait...

If I'm chewing Bubblegum, and I know what it is...and I still want some (But I'm chewing it...so why would I want some more...If I'm not necssarily done with that piece...)

And I'm all confused...but that's okay...

Cause I can't get enought of it...it's "Lovie Dovie"

I still don't understand

:lmao:

I think it is a comment on the 'pitfalls' of being a 'rock star'.

Which I obviously don't understand either :giggle:

I agree...sort of. I like Discotheque wayyy more than GOYB, but i don't know if it's a better single. But then again, it got me hooked. I was 9 at the time and my mom wanted me to listen to U2, and I didn't want to because I thought they were a heavy metal band ( :lol: ), but she pretty much forced it on me and as soon as Disco was over I was like "Can I hear that again?!!?" Over a decade later here I am, posting on a U2 forum :)

An innocuous phrase I read many years ago stuck in my mind when describing Sunday Bloody Sunday: it was a great song not just because of Edge's riff, but because over its 4:41 playing time it evolves through several equally memorable sections. At the end of it, you sit back and it feels like a whole, complete, fleshed out piece of art. Not just the riff, but the cohesive sound that's layered on top of it. It...fits.

Discotheque does this. Yeah, the song has another great Edge riff, but it throws so many parts at you it's almost dizzying.
the swirly opening
the overdrive of "looking for the one", Bono singing like a tart
the middle 8 with the drum fill
the riff in the left speaker during the chorus "you know you're chewing bubble gum"
the way the verse riff drops out during "let go", then kicks back in
the chiming bridge, and Bono's last verse
ah ah ah ah ah ah
"ah hey, not enough"
at 4:55......

I agree with this a lot. There are tons of parts to this song and it's awesome.

Back
Top Bottom