Hansa Achtung Outtakes Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
Do you think the bad would be mad at a fan for buying it and listening?

Or just angry that it was released (stolen) in the first place?

What do you think there thoughts would be about it now?

Should the fan feel guilty for listening to it since the band were upset it was released?

Is that like eavesdropping?!

They'd be angry at the people selling it, most likely.

Yeah, I paid for the fucking thing too.
Many moons ago.

I wasn't angry at the seller then, I was probably 18 and appreciative.
16 years later, I don't feel that way anymore.

To me, it's not about hearing it when U2 didn't want us to hear it.
I understand that mindset, I just don't really care. There is no ill intent.
To me, it's about some dickface selling something that doesn't actually belong to them. Most of the time, at a really ridiculous price.

ETA
It just dawned on me that you could just download it.
I don't think they would care.

i imagine they probably wouldn't want us to hear it only because in their minds everything on there is unfinished and unpolished. i can understand how they'd feel and all, though personally i enjoy listening to demos and outtakes because you get to hear the process of recording the album and hear how songs began. sometimes demos sound better than the final product, sometimes it's abysmal and you wish it'd stayed in the vault.

i imagine they probably wouldn't want us to hear it only because in their minds everything on there is unfinished and unpolished. i can understand how they'd feel and all, though personally i enjoy listening to demos and outtakes because you get to hear the process of recording the album and hear how songs began. sometimes demos sound better than the final product, sometimes it's abysmal and you wish it'd stayed in the vault.

Unfortunately, most of the Axtung Babei (or however you spell it) outtakes fall into the latter category.

There was that funny story of when the band returned to Windmill Lane and Dublin in 1991, and Bono wanted to get ahold of the Achtung Baby outtakes. He actually went to a store in Dublin and bought a bootleg copy of it. So, if Bono can do it...

There's also the funny story of how Edge says in U2 by U2 that the band have an agreement that if any one of them goes down in an airplane crash, the remaining members are obligated to destoy all existing copies of rehearsals and jams because they are so unbelievably bad.

In seriousness, I'm sure U2 don't mind us hearing and downloading bootlegs -- it's obviously the selling of them for third-party profit that raises big bands' hackles. The good thing about the Internet is that it put an end to the bootlegs-for-profit era that started with Bob Dylan's Great White Wonder back in '69 or '70; the bad thing about the Internet is that it had taken away sales of recordings as a major source of profit for artists.

We do know that as long as there is no money involved, the band almost encourage the sharing of live bootlegs

Unfortunately, most of the Axtung Babei (or however you spell it) outtakes fall into the latter category.

Well, they fall into that category 'cause most of those are not even songs imo. Just jams and rehearsals.
But I Feel Free, Sweet Babe Jane, Jitterburg Baby, Heaven and Hell, Doctor Doctor... the (maybe almost) finished ones are all great stuff if you ask me. Especially Heaven and Hell... I can't understand how people talk so much about that awful demo called Mercy when this is still floating around.

I have a copy of the Achtung Baby Outtakes on two cassettes I got back in '92. I found a single disc copy of the "best of outtakes" several years later.

If you’re curious about the band’s attitude to bootlegs, I’ve found the following quotes on the internet (sadly, I’ve been able to trace them to specific dates or interviews, although I believe them to come from Elevation Tour promotional interviews in 2001):

“My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music - as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music.” (Bono)

“The terror of online song-trading and bootlegging that has occurred in the wake of Napster is not something the members of U2 are losing any sleep over. In fact, as long as fans aren’t being exploited and bootleggers aren’t raking in huge money from the practice, it’s a part of the music business they’ve come to accept.” (The Edge)

There's a torrent running at the moment at The Trader's Den where someone has culled the 3 CD set down to make it more easily listened to and they have also done a nice EQ job on it too. Worth checking out.

Hate to bump the thread, but I just got these and I was wondering... how come it's called "Axtung Beibi" instead of just "Achtung Baby". Just a cool thing to call a bootleg, or is there some meaning behind it?

I didn't care for the original cover, or any others I found, so I made my own.

If anyone wants to use one of them, feel free. :)

256gznd.jpg

1zx8ks0.jpg

:wave:

Salome: The Axtung Beibi Outtakes is fascinating to me, as a musician. I listen to them not to enjoy the songs, but to see how the greatest band in the world works on songs. It's similar to a football player watching Tom Brady throw over and over again to no one in particular. You just study the form.

But "She's Gonna Blow Your House Down" and "Wake Up Dead Man/Take You Down" are unfuckingbelievable tunes.

BonoFly, it appears to me that Adam's penis is larger than usual on your cover...?

Have you given him some prosthetic enhancement because he's your favorite member? (no pun intended)

I think back in the early 90's the band was mad that people bootlegged and then sold at a high price what essentially was U2 toying around in the studio and playing around with songs that were unfinished.

From a purist and musician perspective I guess it would be cool to hear U2 in raw form creating the songs. But from a marketing and commercial perspective it was unfair to bootleg and charge for unfinished songs.

What's interesting to me, is that it's the first leaked album I ever remember hearing about... Now it's pretty much a given, but this was a first, that I remember anything about...

I loved the process so much I wrote an article (on this site) about 'she's gonna blow your house down' and I made a video for heaven and hell that is on you tube now. Hard to believe that I made this video in 1998 and I no longer have a copy of it but it exists on the internet....sweet :up:

I got the outtakes too On E-bay for like $15.00, a very very long time ago! It is a bit painful to listen to but I didnt know that the band didnt want anyone to listen to it :|
Oh well what's done is done

Outtakes are pretty easy to get if you know where to look. People search high and low for things they aren't supposed to have,I have noticed that alot recently,and I am guilty of it myself. It was hard for me to listen to NLOTH when it was leaked because it made me feel awful that it wasn't released under the band's consent,and that is just an album. It was really the only guilty pleasure I had had at listening to an album that wasn't out yet.
That is really lame if you think about it.

Back
Top Bottom