Had "All That You Can't..." not been well received, would the band have retired?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. I don't think U2 would retire after a weekly received album. They didn't after Rattle and Hum or after Pop.

It's debatable whether Pop was "weakly" (note spelling) received or not, but can I just say for the umpteenth time that Rattle & Hum was NOT a weakly received album? It received largely glowing reviews and sold a gazillion copies -- far more than, say, All That You Can't Leave Behind -- at a time when the band was the biggest in the world. Rattle & Hum hugely increased their already massive profile and introduced millions of people to the band. It went 5 times platinum in the US (7 times in Canada) without U2 touring either country!

The "Rattle & Hum was a failure" byline is another of the U2 near-myths that the band themselves essentially created. About a year or more after the LP was released, a minor backlash set in with the critics and some of U2's peers. Basically, they were over-exposed (albeit they had ten times less exposure than nowadays), and started to become a bit of cliche in terms of image. It's something they wouldn't pay attention to now (when they're far more hated by more people than they were then), but back when they were 28 or whatever they were sensitive and took themselves a mite too seriously.

Had Achtung Baby not been a huge gamble that paid off in a big way, I am 100% sure that the band would not today be talking down the Rattle & Hum period at all -- but it makes a good story to pretend that it "failed".

It's debatable whether Pop was "weakly" (note spelling) received or not, but can I just say for the umpteenth time that Rattle & Hum was NOT a weakly received album? It received largely glowing reviews and sold a gazillion copies -- far more than, say, All That You Can't Leave Behind -- at a time when the band was the biggest in the world. Rattle & Hum hugely increased their already massive profile and introduced millions of people to the band. It went 5 times platinum in the US (7 times in Canada) without U2 touring either country!

The "Rattle & Hum was a failure" byline is another of the U2 near-myths that the band themselves essentially created. About a year or more after the LP was released, a minor backlash set in with the critics and some of U2's peers. Basically, they were over-exposed (albeit they had ten times less exposure than nowadays), and started to become a bit of cliche in terms of image. It's something they wouldn't pay attention to now (when they're far more hated by more people than they were then), but back when they were 28 or whatever they were sensitive and took themselves a mite too seriously.

Had Achtung Baby not been a huge gamble that paid off in a big way, I am 100% sure that the band would not today be talking down the Rattle & Hum period at all -- but it makes a good story to pretend that it "failed".

Well, the sales are not debatable (and of course people were into buying records in 1988 more than 2000), but Rattle and Hum did get them their first, and arguably biggest backlash yet by the critics. And in the case of Popmart, I still think the weak opening tour leg cost them everything and so consequently the album was weakly received.

I hope not. I'd like to think that they have a bit more fibre than that and carry on until they end up in the big concert in the sky. And then, they wouldn't even allow death to stop them, because they'd be playing to Michael Jackson, Steve McQueen, James Dean, Janus Joplin, Nina Simone, Spike Milligan, Jackie Onassis, Ronald Reagan, my dad, etc,etc,etc

And then, they wouldn't even allow death to stop them, because they'd be playing to Michael Jackson, Steve McQueen, James Dean, Janus Joplin, Nina Simone, Spike Milligan, Jackie Onassis, Ronald Reagan, my dad, etc,etc,etc

It's hard to imagine what Nina Simone would make of U2. But I'm gonna try:
"You sexy Irish man-beast! Get on down here and sing a song with this hot spicy mama!"

How about Michael Jackson and Bono duetting on "Elvis Ate America"? Ahh, I can dream...

Naturally they have the funds to, but if "Beautiful Day" was not received well at all, and the album didn't sell like it did, would the band still be together to this day? They were coming off of a high/slump of Popmart, not being well received in America, in need of some kind of rebirth, had this not been their saving grace, would the band had merely faded away? (no pun)

No way. Contrary to Bono's claims of "2 crap albums in a row and we're out", the band would have kept trying, but I suspect it would have returned to experimentation. I think the band was so addicted to wealth at that point that success in this more commercial vein became reinforcing. If it had failed -- and it should have -- then the band might have become the band many of us want to see.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom