Guy Oseary, Madonna, U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be fair just had to stop following him on Twitter, his constant retweets about Madonna is annoying as hell

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yes, I'm sure U2 can do well and don't need Guy's special guidance, I just think it looks weird - also to the general public - that he's getting all enthusiastic about Madonna and stays mainly silent about U2 as if he just doesn't care about the band.
I don't think the general public even knows who Guy Oseary is.

Yes, I'm sure U2 can do well and don't need Guy's special guidance, I just think it looks weird - also to the general public - that he's getting all enthusiastic about Madonna and stays mainly silent about U2 as if he just doesn't care about the band.

How many people in the general public would a) know who Guy Oseary is and b) which bands he is managing?

Also, Oseary and Madonna have been business partners for years, well before he became her manager in 2005, so there is a longstanding history and relationship between the two. That could be why he's been tweeting about her much more relative to U2, a band he's been managing for all of 12 months.

Oh, and, before I forget - who cares?

How many people in the general public would a) know who Guy Oseary is and b) which bands he is managing?

Also, Oseary and Madonna have been business partners for years, well before he became her manager in 2005, so there is a longstanding history and relationship between the two. That could be why he's been tweeting about her much more relative to U2, a band he's been managing for all of 12 months.

Oh, and, before I forget - who cares?

Sorry, the "general public" was a wrong term, but music industry people and a lot of music fans follow him. At the moment it looks as if Madonna is the only artist on the planet who has had a new release recently. Nothing about U2 at all. Of course they've had a very long history together but U2's album release and promo tour didn't exactly interfere with any of Madonna's new releases, so Oseary had plenty of opportunity to push his other clients a little more on the web. To me it looks like he believes in Madonna more and is much more interested in her than in U2.

To me it looks like he believes in Madonna more and is much more interested in her than in U2.

oh ffs

has it not occurred to you that different artist clients have different needs and wishes? it's not a one size fits all type of service you know...

Oseary just dont understand the rock market - which by the way is more difficult now than it was 20 years ago.
So far, a disaster.

I hate money. I wish we could burn it all and start over. I have more than most people so it might take me longer. Also i hate property. I want to burn it all down and blow it all up. I hate the general public too. Off with their heads.

I hate money. I wish we could burn it all and start over. I have more than most people so it might take me longer. Also i hate property. I want to burn it all down and blow it all up. I hate the general public too. Off with their heads.

Louis, stop playing around on here and get me some cake, dahling.
Marie :kiss:

I don't mind this "kind of quiet" period. I think it's a good thing that they're a little low key at the moment. 3 months have passed since the album dropped. They did a TV show promo tour, some radio appearances. Films of Experience sort of dropped. They announced a tour. Of course Bono's injury was a set back and we didn't get any US appearances on Fallon and the KROQ almost Acoustic appearance was scrapped. But still.

Yea, managers are often not involved in major business deals.

Oh wait, that's actually the exact opposite.

Speaking with Time Magazine immediately following the Apple event earlier this month, Bono made clear: "We went to Apple, and we said look: we’re not interested in free music. We think music is undervalued. It’s a sacrament, as far as we’re concerned."

"And we said 'would you be interested in buying our album?'" said Bono to Tim Cook, Apple CEO, "and get it to all 500 million of your iTunes accounts?"

Let's not forget they had a relationship with Apple long before Mr Madonna ever got on board.

That's true.

really? so... if they can get those deals without involving their manager, why would they need a manager at all?

They did it just fine on their own, reportedly. And given Oseary's actually been more busy with Madge's music than their own, why indeed ?

Is everyone serious? Bono might have sweet talked Tim Cook, but that deal would have gone through Oseary, Iovine and a fucking army of lawyers.

I also believe that when Bono says "We" he means U2 as a business which includes more individuals than just Adam, Lars and The Edge.

Speaking with Time Magazine immediately following the Apple event earlier this month, Bono made clear: "We went to Apple, and we said look: we’re not interested in free music. We think music is undervalued. It’s a sacrament, as far as we’re concerned."

"And we said 'would you be interested in buying our album?'" said Bono to Tim Cook, Apple CEO, "and get it to all 500 million of your iTunes accounts?"

Let's not forget they had a relationship with Apple long before Mr Madonna ever got on board.

monkeybrains.jpg

So you really think U2 did the entire deal on their own, without help from the manager they pay many millions of dollars to, ya know, manage their business?

Are you mental?

They did it just fine on their own, reportedly. And given Oseary's actually been more busy with Madge's music than their own, why indeed ?

Oh, right. Yes, you are.

At least in the us, all of u2s 12 albums had gone at least Platinum. This free giveaway takes them off the hook for that record coming to a end. Lol. But also because they knew this was going to be the new album that finally was a true, true commercial flop. Or at least it was looking that way. I think u2 cares just as much about relevance as Madonna . Except u2 will accept defeat with more class then madge. She does NOT wanna do a greatest hits tour if she can help it. Just compare the mdna tour setlist to the 360 One.

Madonna will not definitely ever make a greatest hits tour (like U2 did in most 360º and the latter legs of the previous tour), that's not ever, and since the new album appears to have 19 tracks (I feel half is gonna sound as... dismissable), she won't do it, period.
I wouldn't put the things as "accepting defeat with class". Madonna, when defeated, she may not be classy, but she's very very clever and always turns a defeat into a victory. I don't know how she does it, but she did it with Erotica, she did it with American Life and the respective tours for instance.
U2, on the other hand, usually panic with a defeat. We all know what happened after the Pop/Popmart half-fiasco.
I'm one of the few fans that actually supports those who were angry with U2's spamming strategy (sorry, for me the way it was "offered" to the users is comparable to spam or to an invasion - sorry, it is) and I'm afraid that, even if U2 put $100 million in their pockets, the effects of the Songs Of Innocence reception (by the public and by the general critics) will not disappear if U2 play dead for a couple of months as I've been reading here. I think that what happened is way more serious. I think that what happened may eventually affect permanently the "1st class band", the "stadium fillers band", the status that U2 has been enjoying in the industry. But you know what? I hope it does. I hope that the shock of what happened with Songs Of Innocence will be bigger for them than Pop's one. And I hope that that shock will force them to completely rethink them selves again as a band, as a business, their artistic vision and integrity and will reverse many things in their posture over the past 15 years.

I'm not sure that this was Oseary's fault.
I'm not sure that it's Oseary's fault that Madonna entered in a sonic/imagetic self-celebratory spiral (and that bothers me way more than her greed for money or being relevant - that's part of Madonna's DNA, that'll never change), for instance.

I'm one of the few who thinks that the leak of those 13 demos were intentional, that came from Oseary's (and Madonna's) mind, to create buzz and to be a legitimation for this unusual phased surprise album release. And you know what? It's been working. That bitch already went #1 in 46 countries and the 6 already unveiled songs overhauled some of the moment's biggest hits in iTunes.

I wouldn't put the things as "accepting defeat with class". Madonna, when defeated, she may not be classy, but she's very very clever and always turns a defeat into a victory. I don't know how she does it, but she did it with Erotica, she did it with American Life and the respective tours for instance.
U2, on the other hand, usually panic with a defeat. We all know what happened after the Pop/Popmart half-fiasco.

Would you argue that ATYCLB was not turning a defeat into a victory?

Whether you enjoyed the record or not and/or the writing process leading to its development, it was an overwhelming success in the public and industry's eyes.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

Personally I think U2 likely told him to keep his mouth shut regarding their chart positions. It would only seem more like they were blowing their own horn again to the public which already has a hard on for hating U2.

Do I think hes a perfect manager absolutely not - but Mcguiness wasnt at the end either. They could probably manage themselves if it wasn't for the touring part.

I'm pretty sure Bono's secretly managing the band. :D

If Madonna is also going to tour next year, I assume it will be impossible for Mr. O to be in two places at the same time. I don't think Paul McGuiness missed one single U2 show ever, but I don't see Mr. O having such a presence. He'll sure be handling Madonna much more tightly. I admit I don't have any insight into the secret mechanisms of the U2 corporation and what it is like to manage them, but on a personal level, I don't have a good feeling about all of this, I haven't had one since Guy O took over form Paul.

Back
Top Bottom