Grammy Nominations 12-02-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew this album wouldnt get any major Grammy nominations either way. The Grammys have given U2 their fill of awards and likely U2 wont win another Grammy ever again. Does it really make a difference?

All these awards shows are just garbage anyway including the Oscars.

It may give you an extra boost in the sales department but if you are making music for monitary gains I dont think your heart is in the right place.

The difference is success DESPITE the lack of radio airplay! Its one thing when an artist succeeds because of heavy exposure, its another when they succeed on this level DESPITE the lack of heavy exposure, in this case being radio airplay.

Primarily this involves long time U2 fans who may not have purchased Zooropa or POP coming back to the band because of what they feel is the good quality of the albums of ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

It does not in its self prove that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are better quality albums, but strongly suggest it given the unique circumstances of low relative exposure and high sales.

This is a little silly, with all due respect.
Talking about success relative to exposure and U2 in the same sentence.
You're talking about the BIGGEST BAND ON PLANET EARTH.

They don't need a single radio play to sell out an entire tour.
There is nobody in the music industry that had more exposure this decade than U2. They are a promotion unto themselves, this is why they are easily overexposed and why there is such a backlash, even when the promotion has been relatively light for NLOTH.

Maybe this argument slightly helps a different band, not U2.
In any case, using it as evidence of "quality" is still subjective.

In contrast, there is NOTHING beyond ones personal opinion, that supports the idea that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are not great quality albums.

This is not a contrast to what you said earlier that I replied to.
In fact, it is an exact agreement on the other side of the coin.
Remove the word "not" and both statements are true.

You used a subjective standard (success from lack of airplay-as indicative of quality) and tried to argue that it makes your opinion somehow more objective. I hate to tell you, but it doesn't.

The airplay data is what it is and nothing more. If you want to use it as evidence of quality, then it's no better than any opinion, as far as being objective or verifiable.

That said, please note I said this, these qualified-subjective opinions are usually appreciated by those like me, as long as the person isn't claiming there is some sort of truth to the standard.

For instance, I could type a thousand word diatribe about why I didn't like HTDAAB, analyzing bits of music, comparatives, etc. and ultimately it would only be a subjective opinion. But what it does is adds something to the discussion, for the purpose of those liek me who like to talk abotu such things. It beats a simple "it sucks" or "it's awesome'

But I'd never in a million years cite sales or airplay data as evidence of anything other than exactly what it is.

I knew this album wouldnt get any major Grammy nominations either way. The Grammys have given U2 their fill of awards and likely U2 wont win another Grammy ever again. Does it really make a difference?

All these awards shows are just garbage anyway including the Oscars.

It may give you an extra boost in the sales department but if you are making music for monitary gains I dont think your heart is in the right place.

So I'm guessing what you mean by "major Grammy nominations" are album of the year or song of the year? And you're really predicting U2 will never win another one again? That's a silly prediction, especially given Grammy's history.

Yeah, artist shouldn't get paid...:|

This is a little silly, with all due respect.
Talking about success relative to exposure and U2 in the same sentence.
You're talking about the BIGGEST BAND ON PLANET EARTH.

They don't need a single radio play to sell out an entire tour.

Well, then why did POPMART only have this level of attendance at the following 60,000+ capacity stadium shows?:

8. Memphis May 14, 1997 Liberty Bowl
GROSS: $1,131,570 ATTENDANCE: 22,734

9. Clemson May 16, 1997 Frank Howard Memorial
Stadium GROSS: $1,043,349 ATTENDANCE: 20,251

34. Leipzig July 29, 1997 Festweise GROSS: $702,396 ATTENDANCE: 18,463

35. Mannheim July 31, 1997 Maimarkt GROSS: $716,281 ATTENDANCE: 18,828

68. Tampa November 10, 1997 Houlihan's Stadium GROSS: $893,865 ATTENDANCE: 17,776

69. Jacksonville November 12, 1997 Alltel Stadium GROSS: $726,217 ATTENDANCE: 14,491

71. New Orleans November 21, 1997 Superdome GROSS: $911,528 ATTENDANCE: 21,465

74. Houston November 28, 1997 AstroDome GROSS: $1,156,155 ATTENDANCE: 22,981

87. Melbourne February 21, 1998 Waverly Park GROSS: $1,366,510 ATTENDANCE: 23,810

88. Brisbane February 25, 1998 ANZ Stadium GROSS: $1,019,744 ATTENDANCE: 17,567

If, as you claim, they can just rely on the NAME U2, then how come these stadium shows above are only 30% filled instead of soldout or almost soldout?

There is nobody in the music industry that had more exposure this decade than U2. They are a promotion unto themselves, this is why they are easily overexposed and why there is such a backlash, even when the promotion has been relatively light for NLOTH.

Maybe this argument slightly helps a different band, not U2.
In any case, using it as evidence of "quality" is still subjective.

Most exposure for artist is through the radio and that level of exposure is recorded and factual with the airplay data. Your assumption that they are somehow overexposed has no basis in fact. There is no data that shows that. But when you examine radio airplay, you see that in this decade, U2 only had 3 songs make the HOT 100 AIRPLAY chart which monitors all radio airplay across the USA regardless of format!

U2 had 3 songs make the HOT 100 AIRPLAY Chart just in 1997 by comparison.

Again, the point being made is that the unique combination of a lack of radio airplay + massive sales, suggest that the ATYCLB and HTDAAB are good quality albums. Can't prove that, but it is suggestive and something beyond ones personal opinion to show that the albums are good quality.

You used a subjective standard (success from lack of airplay-as indicative of quality) and tried to argue that it makes your opinion somehow more objective. I hate to tell you, but it doesn't.

I hate to tell you this, but your all mixed up.

My opinion is always SUBJECTIVE! The "success DESPITE the lack of airplay) is an objective fact, used to support my subjective opinion that the albums are of good quality.

The airplay data is what it is and nothing more. If you want to use it as evidence of quality, then it's no better than any opinion, as far as being objective or verifiable.

The actual airplay which declined is NOT being used as evidence of quality. Its the massive sales, DESPITE the decline in radio airplay that is being used to support the my personal opinion that the albums are good quality.

That said, please note I said this, these qualified-subjective opinions are usually appreciated by those like me, as long as the person isn't claiming there is some sort of truth to the standard.

For instance, I could type a thousand word diatribe about why I didn't like HTDAAB, analyzing bits of music, comparatives, etc. and ultimately it would only be a subjective opinion. But what it does is adds something to the discussion, for the purpose of those liek me who like to talk abotu such things. It beats a simple "it sucks" or "it's awesome'

But I'd never in a million years cite sales or airplay data as evidence of anything other than exactly what it is.

Wonderful, but I never claimed that the sales data makes my opinion more objective. My opinion is always subjective. I brought in objective facts to support my subjective opinion. It does not and never will prove that I'm correct. All it is, is something beyond my own personal opinion that I think is suggestive of the albums quality. Thats it, nothing more.

These arguments are always so cute. There's really 2 ways to look at it, either be subjective, say you like the album and that's all you care about...or hook your wagon to sales and go with the "popularity contest" argument. Either way using airplay is just stupid...well I guess if you want to know what promoters and Clearchannel execs like it's not. But it's a dumb argument, because you've got one side saying "I like NLOTH better than ATYCLB and Bomb" and you've got the other saying "both Bomb and ATYCLB outsold NLOTH"...and they're not exclusive positions.

One thing that does interest me is those POPMart attendance figures. You hang out in this place enough and you're bound to be brow-beaten into believing in the brilliance of POPMart, and how only stupid Americans were too stupid to "get" it. But then I see those numbers, and it's apparently not just stupid Americans. Sometimes those pesky facts can be a real pain in the ass.

These arguments are always so cute. There's really 2 ways to look at it, either be subjective, say you like the album and that's all you care about...or hook your wagon to sales and go with the "popularity contest" argument. Either way using airplay is just stupid...well I guess if you want to know what promoters and Clearchannel execs like it's not. But it's a dumb argument, because you've got one side saying "I like NLOTH better than ATYCLB and Bomb" and you've got the other saying "both Bomb and ATYCLB outsold NLOTH"...and they're not exclusive positions.

The only reason I brought airplay in was to emphasize the fact that ATYCLB and HTDAAB both received LESS airplay than POP did, but sold 3 times as many albums! Typically, the less airplay you get, the less albums you sell. In this case, DESPITE receiving less airplay, both ATYCLB and HTDAAB sold much better than POP an many other U2 albums for that matter. Thats pretty significant regardless of what your opinion is on the quality of both albums.

I was NEVER making a point that whether a song got played on the radio was a sign of quality or not. The point I was making is that it usually takes something special to sell so well, without heavy radio airplay.

how does one explain the low attendance figures for PoPmart....bad press?

from what i can tell, the 360 tour has got nothing but rave reviews. Maybe thats what is helping this tour.

I did not once say that an artist should not get paid for what they do.

U2 should write music for music's sake however and if a hit comes out of that great, but they should not be trying to be a radio play or hit machine just so they can win Grammy awards. U2 can be influential and important to fans and musicians alike without having to win a Grammy for it.

U2 wont ever win another major Grammy award again, no more Album of The Year, Record Of The Year or Song of the Year. Does that bother me no, if I am proven wrong great but I don't expect to be.

If I was honest U2 won many more awards then they deserved this decade so its time to let somebody else have an opportunity. All That You Cant Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb were good albums however in my opinion they were not great albums. I would say that No Line On The Horizon while slightly more experimental again is just a good album with 10 months of reflection on it.

The only 2 albums U2 actually deserved to win major Grammy's for were Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. What makes U2 great though is that the worst albums they come out with are still good solid albums that are very listenable. That is what makes them the best band around.

However I will say this....if they don't put out Songs of Ascent to me it clearly looks like a reaction not to getting awards for No Line On The Horizon and that would be a shame.

The only 2 albums U2 actually deserved to win major Grammy's for were Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. What makes U2 great though is that the worst albums they come out with are still good solid albums that are very listenable. That is what makes them the best band around.

I agree with what you said about Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby but ATYCLB is such a great album (IMO) and I would through it in the mix too. Beautiful Day, Stuck, Walk On, Kite, Elevation......WOW.

However I will say this....if they don't put out Songs of Ascent to me it clearly looks like a reaction not to getting awards for No Line On The Horizon and that would be a shame.

Funny thing is, that is how all this got started. A poster basically said that they hope that U2 keep on their current track of more experimental music and dont go back to writing songs like those on HTDAAB because NLOTH wasn't as big as they (U2) had hoped.

I personally like the "anthem" U2 more than the "experimental" U2 but I wouldn't mind a mix of both (that would be sweet).

Your saying that U2's 2 biggest album sellers are the only ones that deserved to win major Grammy's. I could not disagree more.

how does one explain the low attendance figures for PoPmart....bad press?

from what i can tell, the 360 tour has got nothing but rave reviews. Maybe thats what is helping this tour.

The low attendance on the POPMART tour is do to fans reaction to the POP album and to some degree zooropa before that.

How much if at all do you think pirating factors into all this? In the 90s the p2p sites were still in their infancy, and affordable mp3 players weren't on the scene yet...whereas when ATYCLB came out, and particularly when Bomb and NLOTH were released mp3 players were everywhere and piracy was much simpler with the advent of torrent sites replacing the old song-by-song downloading days of napster, kazaa, and soulseek. You'd expect the 00s releases to not do as well sales-wise I'd think.

Not that much if any of this pertains to the Grammys, but it wasn't my hijack :wink:

Alright...now if i was someone in U2, let's just say I was Bono...i for one would be pretty embarrassed to win another Album of the Year award, or song of the year, or anything close to that. If anything, i'd be happier to have Brian Eno and Lanois win producers of the year,or something technical like that. It's like when you used to have those superficial awards in high school yearbooks when you were a kid, it seemed the same people always won the same awards, the prom queen cheerleader wins best looking, the asshole kid wins class clown, the nerdiest kid wins most studious, the materialistic bitch wins best dressed....who even voted for these awards? but somehow the same kids were always winning the same awards, because, if nothing else, they were just expected to. And, as much as i find it meaningless, the Grammies that is, i always just expect U2 to be up for awards because, if nothing else, it's just EXPECTED! Does it mean anything? No! Are you telling me the Grammy commitee couldn't go surfing for a half an hour and come up with some band's, whether obscure or not, album that is more artistic and musically rewarding than any of the artists nominated this year? Are you telling me it's impossible to find a rock song, or pop song, better than the one (or ones, i forget) U2 are nominated for this year? No, because it's not important to the Grammies. The Grammies are a highschool yearbook awards show. It's popularity, sales, and it's also a tradition of nominating veteran artists for awards for no other reason than it's expected. There's no thought put into these decisions. At the end of the day, more people will learn about these albums and songs from watching the Grammies, and then BAM! the sales of those said albums and songs will go up.

How much if at all do you think pirating factors into all this? In the 90s the p2p sites were still in their infancy, and affordable mp3 players weren't on the scene yet...whereas when ATYCLB came out, and particularly when Bomb and NLOTH were released mp3 players were everywhere and piracy was much simpler with the advent of torrent sites replacing the old song-by-song downloading days of napster, kazaa, and soulseek. You'd expect the 00s releases to not do as well sales-wise I'd think.

Not that much if any of this pertains to the Grammys, but it wasn't my hijack :wink:

Pirating has had a devestating impact on the music industry. 88 albums sold over 1 million copies in the United States in 1999. In 2009, only 18 albums were able to sell 1 million or more copies!

Well, then why did POPMART only have this level of attendance at the following 60,000+ capacity stadium shows?:

If, as you claim, they can just rely on the NAME U2, then how come these stadium shows above are only 30% filled instead of soldout or almost soldout?

Moving the goalposts won't work with me.

Hell why not just talk about the club shows they were doing in 1981?
Because if you're going to change the context of the debate, might as well go to the most extreme example...oh wait, POPMart is the extreme example.

Different time, different place, different context, different U2, different expectation, different status OR you could say it was a prematurely booked tour, with an undercooked album and a mismanaged promotional design. Any number of issues, the bottom line is, U2 in 2009 is not U2 in 1981 or 1997.

From 1993, which was the end of ZooTV to Spring of 1997, U2 were all but dead to the mainstream/pop culture world. Even Zooropa and Passengers sold rather lightly. When U2 returned in 1997, before the album had barely been on store shelves and before (maybe even the night before, IIRC) the tour started, they aired a primetime special here in America on ABC. Last I heard, it was still the lowest rated primetime special in American broadcast network history. And this was in the earliest days of POP and POPmart!! When it was getting good reviews and nobody had even seen the tour yet!! Does this illustrate how bad things were for U2 at that point?

Yet you want to ask this silly question in comparison to a U2 that plays halftime at the Super Bowl and wins buckets full of Grammy's? I can't be the only person who thinks this comparison is absurd.

U2 in 2001 or 2004 or 2009, that had or were experiencing this 21st century renaissance and the U2 from 1997 simply aren't seen as the same band, in more ways than one.

My opinion is always SUBJECTIVE! The "success DESPITE the lack of airplay) is an objective fact, used to support my subjective opinion that the albums are of good quality.

It is entirely your opinion what those sales figures and airplay data are supposed to mean. The data is the data, your presentation of the data, in your comparison is arbitrary. Nothing but a subjective opinion. You aren't saying, here is the data, make up your own mind. You're saying, here is the data and this is what it means. In other words, you're pretending that it's a given objective fact that the album was a "success". Why?

What dollar figure constitutes "success"? How many units sold constitutes success? Is it all relative to profit? What amount of profit constitutes "success"? What is any objective factual barometer of "success"?

If you want to say it's X-units sold or X-dollars made, then every album meeting that criteria would be a "success". Are you prepared to say this?
Even if you did, how did you come up with the number?
Did you make it up? Where do you find an objective standard for "success" without making it up yourself?

What about the airplay, what is the 'sufficient' number of proper airplay?
Where did you get it?

Wonderful, but I never claimed that the sales data makes my opinion more objective. My opinion is always subjective. I brought in objective facts to support my subjective opinion.

Shall I quote you?

The "success DESPITE the lack of airplay) is an objective fact

You're looking beyond the idea that you are qualifying what the actual "facts" are supposed to mean. If "success despite the lack of airplay" is an objective fact, then tell us how you arrived at this conclusion without inserting any subjectivity into it.

Here are your facts, ATYCLB and HTDAAB both sold X and Y units respectively and the airplay was XZ and XY respectively. You've got 4 pieces of data, therefore if I measure these pieces of data alone, it should tell me the same thing you are suggesting, if we are both being objective.

1- Where does the standard for what is sufficient airplay come from?
2- Where does the standard for "success" come from?

You think saying an album was successful based on sales data is an objective fact. The objective fact is Album XYZ sold 10 million units. That's inarguable. What you're doing is assigning merit to what that number is supposed to mean. The airplay is the same thing, there is no "lack of airplay" without being ENTIRELY subjective, this implies there is a 'correct' (and apparently objective) amount of sufficient airplay.

Therefore "success despite the lack of airplay" is completely subjective.
It's like saying a movie was a success despite having little promotion and calling this statement an objective fact. There are objective facts that help you make the subjective argument but the argument itself is not objective.

This is precisely why I said:

U2DMfan said:
You used a subjective standard......and tried to argue that it makes your opinion somehow more objective

Yep.

Moving the goalposts won't work with me.

:eyebrow:

Hell why not just talk about the club shows they were doing in 1981?

HELLO, the vast majority of people did not know who U2 were in 1981.

In 1997, they had been the most popular band in the world for 10 years. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Because if you're going to change the context of the debate, might as well go to the most extreme example...oh wait, POPMart is the extreme example.

Didn't change anything. You said U2 could sellout anywhere simply based on their name. I simply showed you that was not the case.

Different time, different place, different context, different U2, different expectation, different status OR you could say it was a prematurely booked tour, with an undercooked album and a mismanaged promotional design. Any number of issues, the bottom line is, U2 in 2009 is not U2 in 1981 or 1997.

I don't know why you keep going back to 1981 when almost nobody knew who U2 were. U2 become the most popular band in the world in 1987. The NAME, the iconic status, everything started with that year. In 1997, U2 were 10 years in to being the most popular band in the world.

IF, as you claim, they could just rely on their name, POPMART would have been soldout everywhere. It wasn't, not even close.

From 1993, which was the end of ZooTV to Spring of 1997, U2 were all but dead to the mainstream/pop culture world. Even Zooropa and Passengers sold rather lightly. When U2 returned in 1997, before the album had barely been on store shelves and before (maybe even the night before, IIRC) the tour started, they aired a primetime special here in America on ABC.

Well, what were U2 to mainstream/pop culture world in 2006, 2007, 2008? Tour did not start until nearly 2 months after the album had been released.

Last I heard, it was still the lowest rated primetime special in American broadcast network history. And this was in the earliest days of POP and POPmart!!

Well, how many music artist can you name before that time had, had a primetime American broadcast special on a major network? The ratings are irrelevant as if comparing how many people watched a show about ONLY U2 compared to your normal nightly viewed TV programs and specials.

The fact that U2 actually had a special on a major network just about the band is what is significant. Back then, most artist had NEVER had that. I can't recall any in fact.

When it was getting good reviews and nobody had even seen the tour yet!! Does this illustrate how bad things were for U2 at that point?

Well, according to you, it does not matter. The NAME U2 will insure sellouts everywhere.

Yet you want to ask this silly question in comparison to a U2 that plays halftime at the Super Bowl and wins buckets full of Grammy's? I can't be the only person who thinks this comparison is absurd.

Janet Jackson has also played the Super Bowl, but she struggles to fill arena's. Also, U2 had won Grammy awards before POP.

It appears you might be uninformed about U2's popularity and success, prior to this decade.

U2 in 2001 or 2004 or 2009, that had or were experiencing this 21st century renaissance and the U2 from 1997 simply aren't seen as the same band, in more ways than one.

Doesn't matter. 1987 through 1993 was the most successful period of U2's career in terms of expanding their fan base. IF as you claim U2 could just rely on their NAME, POPMART would have been soldout everywhere. It wasn't!

It is entirely your opinion what those sales figures and airplay data are supposed to mean. The data is the data, your presentation of the data, in your comparison is arbitrary. Nothing but a subjective opinion. You aren't saying, here is the data, make up your own mind. You're saying, here is the data and this is what it means. In other words, you're pretending that it's a given objective fact that the album was a "success". Why?

For the second time now, I have never said that. I have only said that objective facts about the album sales could be used to support someone's subjective opinion about the quality of the albums.

The album was a success in terms of sales. Thats an objective fact. I've never stated that ones opinion about the quality of the album is anything other than subjective.

What dollar figure constitutes "success"? How many units sold constitutes success? Is it all relative to profit? What amount of profit constitutes "success"? What is any objective factual barometer of "success"?

If you want to say it's X-units sold or X-dollars made, then every album meeting that criteria would be a "success". Are you prepared to say this?

From a business standpoint, yes.

Even if you did, how did you come up with the number?
Did you make it up? Where do you find an objective standard for "success" without making it up yourself?

Well, there is the RIAA which does official audits for record companies album sales. Soundscan which tracks sales from retail outlets. Amusement Business which tracks concert ticket sales. Nobody makes this stuff up. Real sales, tracked and recorded by the organizations listed.

What about the airplay, what is the 'sufficient' number of proper airplay?
Where did you get it?

Broadcast Data Systems monitors all radio airplay across the country and provides the data use to make the HOT 100 AIRPLAY ONLY CHART. These charts are printed in Billboard Magazine as well as being shown on their Website. Billboard Magazine is the music business magazine of the industry.

Shall I quote you?

That qoute (The "success DESPITE the lack of airplay) is an objective fact ) is only an objective fact being used to support my opinion on the album. My opinion is still subjective, and always will be with regards to the quality of the album.

You're looking beyond the idea that you are qualifying what the actual "facts" are supposed to mean. If "success despite the lack of airplay" is an objective fact, then tell us how you arrived at this conclusion without inserting any subjectivity into it.

We know factually what the airplay levels were for ATYCLB and HTDAAB. We know factually what the sales levels were as well. We know these things for POP. This is an indisputable fact that can be sited with sources. There is nothing subjective about it.

Its a fact that radio airplay can have a major impact on sales. When radio airplay drops significantly, but sales go up significantly, then something else is at work.

Here are your facts, ATYCLB and HTDAAB both sold X and Y units respectively and the airplay was XZ and XY respectively. You've got 4 pieces of data, therefore if I measure these pieces of data alone, it should tell me the same thing you are suggesting, if we are both being objective.

1- Where does the standard for what is sufficient airplay come from?
2- Where does the standard for "success" come from?

Well, first your missing POP's sales and airplay. So you should have 6 pieces of data.

1. The standard for airplay and its impact on sales comes from the HOT 100 airplay chart. Record companies and artist know from past experience that the best chance of selling lots of albums comes from having singles chart in the top 40, top 20, or even better top 10 of the HOT 100 Airplay chart which is based on what is being played on the radio all over the country. Essentially, radio airplay is an advertisement for the album. The more heavily advertised a product or service is, the better chance it has of selling.

2. The standard for a successful album obviously comes from how much it sells.

You think saying an album was successful based on sales data is an objective fact. The objective fact is Album XYZ sold 10 million units. That's inarguable. What you're doing is assigning merit to what that number is supposed to mean.

Well, if you want to call an album that sold 10 million copies a failure, I suppose you could. Generally in any business, most products that sell well are considered a success. If you think "success" in Business and Economics is subjective then you might have a point there, but again, your now going off on a different tangent.

My may point is still the sales data and airplay. Higher sales DESPITE lower airplay.

The airplay is the same thing, there is no "lack of airplay" without being ENTIRELY subjective, this implies there is a 'correct' (and apparently objective) amount of sufficient airplay.

POP was only able to sell 1.5 million copies with the following airplay from its singles:
Discotheque: #22
Staring At The Sun: #16
Last Night On Earth: #74

ATYCLB sold 4.5 million in the USA with the following airplay:
Beautiful Day: #19
Stuck In A Moment: #56

HTDAAB sold 3.2 million in the USA with the following airplay:
Vertigo: #30

POP had higher airplay than either ATYCLB or HTDAAB. BUT, POP sold less than half of what ATYCLB or HTDAAB.

ATYCLB had lower airplay than POP. BUT ATYCLB sold about 3 times as many albums.

HTDAAB had lower airplay than POP. BUT HTDAAB sold more than twice as many albums.

Therefore "success despite the lack of airplay" is completely subjective.

How about this: ATYCLB sold three times as many copies as POP DESPITE having lower airplay.

HTDAAB sold twice as many copies as POP, DESPITE having lower airplay.

Is that objective enough for ya? Thats the whole point I have been making all along with the sales and airplay comparisons.

Again, I used these objective facts to support my opinion about the album which of course is always subjective. In terms of the quality of the album good, bad etc., no one has been attempting to make that an objective fact.

Your saying that U2's 2 biggest album sellers are the only ones that deserved to win major Grammy's. I could not disagree more.

It has nothing to do with them being U2's biggest albums. It has all to do with them being U2's best albums however. From start to finish they are what classic albums are made of and they are the only 2 that U2 have been able to make. The difference is that U2 when writting those 2 albums were not writting them with the idea in mind that they would win Grammy Awards, and unfortunatly I think monitary issues and popularity issues come into affect a lot more now then they ever used to when U2 writes music. Is that good or bad thats all a matter of opinion, I am of the opinion that it is not healthy for U2 though. The best music they were able to compose came with no preconceptions about what it should sound or be like.

Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby sold well because the music was good not because they won Grammy Awards. I am not of the belief that Sales=good album.

I think that POP and ATYCLB are about equal in quality musically but POP didnt win the awards that ATYCLB did and does that bother me or change my opinion of POP...not in the least.

I will also say this just because U2 comes out with an album doesnt automatically mean it should be nominated for Album of The Year and win.

ATYCLB was more deserving to win then Bomb in my opinion but in reality neither one of them really deserved Album of The Year.

If winning Grammys validates U2 as an artist for you great...it doesnt mean shit for me.

U2 is capable of making a 3rd classic album however I dont think its happened quite yet.

It has nothing to do with them being U2's biggest albums. It has all to do with them being U2's best albums however. From start to finish they are what classic albums are made of and they are the only 2 that U2 have been able to make. The difference is that U2 when writting those 2 albums were not writting them with the idea in mind that they would win Grammy Awards, and unfortunatly I think monitary issues and popularity issues come into affect a lot more now then they ever used to when U2 writes music. Is that good or bad thats all a matter of opinion, I am of the opinion that it is not healthy for U2 though. The best music they were able to compose came with no preconceptions about what it should sound or be like.

Its only YOUR opinion that those are the only U2 albums that are classic from start to finish. Many people consider WAR, Unforgettable Fire, and yes, All That You Can't Leave Behind, and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb to be in that catagory as well. I consider BOY to be in that catagory even though its not in the top half of my favorite U2 albums.

The way U2 approach writing and making records has not changed from day 1. They have always wanted to write the best music possible while also selling as many albums as possible. There is simply NO evidence that the band has changed that basic formula.

Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby sold well because the music was good not because they won Grammy Awards. I am not of the belief that Sales=good album.

All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb sold well because the music was good, not because they won Grammy awards. The Grammy awards came after the album had sold millions.

While good sales does not necessarily mean a good album, it also does not mean a bad album either.

I think that POP and ATYCLB are about equal in quality musically but POP didnt win the awards that ATYCLB did and does that bother me or change my opinion of POP...not in the least.

ATYCLB has great finished and completed songs, while many of POP's songs do not measure up, and were never properly recorded. This also happens to be the bands opinion on those albums as well and their right!

I will also say this just because U2 comes out with an album doesnt automatically mean it should be nominated for Album of The Year and win.

Thats not how it works. Its also never happened. Plus, I don't think there is anywhere here that feels that way.

ATYCLB was more deserving to win then Bomb in my opinion but in reality neither one of them really deserved Album of The Year.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is U2's 3rd best album and one of the best albums of all time. It is in fact the best album recorded of the past 10 years! Not only did it deserve album of the year, but it also deserves album of the decade!

If winning Grammys validates U2 as an artist for you great...it doesnt mean shit for me.

I have my personal opinion which is uneffected by sales or grammy awards. I only point such things out to bring something else BEYOND my personal opinion that shows that this may indeed be something of good quality. It does not prove that it is, but it is suggestive and people should take note.

U2 is capable of making a 3rd classic album however I dont think its happened quite yet.

U2 has already made a 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th classic album, and they will make more. What they will not do is make an album that essentially copies the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is a complete piece of shit, no offense. Worst album they ever made. I don't care how many grammies it won, it's a piece of shit.

And no, i'm not going to offer up evidence as to why i feel this way. You know why? Because it's an OPINION!

Then I'm glad there are people on this board who don't share this OPINION, because I'm one of the people here who love the album. And I don't care about Grammies and stuff. I also love NLOTH and I don't care for Grammies, ratings, hit singles or sale figures here as well. There are U2 songs I don't like and some of them are wildly praised by many on this forum and some of them are even very popular among the general public, and there are others I love some of these are not very popular. So what. I came to U2 in the 2000s and it's mainly their work of the last years that made me a fan, though I embrace everything they've done, either if not everything is appealing to me in the same way. I would never call anything they've done "a piece of shit", it's respectless, and honestly, I can't think of anything U2 have done that would deserve to be called that.

I am done with this dicussion. U2's opinion of POP changed after the public didnt take to the album although mostly this was in the USA. You cant tell me that ATYCLB wasnt affected by public reception to POP.

ATYCLB and Bomb are about as adult contemporary as U2 has ever been and while I enjoy those albums I truely hope U2 doesnt go back there again.

What U2 will do if I read them right is they wont put Songs of Ascent out now in the form its in...they will go back with Lillywhite and rework some of the Rick Ruban material that they were doing when Window In The Skies came out and it will be a very adult contemporary album and to me that will be nothing more then a sell out.

Back
Top Bottom