Grammy Nominations 12-02-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Put down the pipe.

No pipe, Atomic Bomb was an amazing album, and at the time both Edge and Bono agreed it was their best work with the exception of Joshua Tree and Achtung. Bono stated this is in Rolling Stone. Atomic Bomb won album of the year from the Grammy awards and also won 7 other grammy awards. Its the one of the most awarded albums in Grammy history. Next the album was a huge seller selling over 10 million copies worldwide at time when the industry had already been in decline for several years.

Both critics, fans, and the bands peers in the music industry agreed that it was a fantastic album.

Its true, there is always someone who will say x album is not good or whatever, but its probably a better idea to ask them what their smoking since the vast majority of people don't smoke period, and we know how the vast majority of people feel about How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

Hutdab is U2's weakest album, in my perspective. Yet I can still thoroughly enjoy half of the songs off the album on occasional listens.

But U2, don't try to reproduce another Atomic Bomb. :no:

If that were the case, it would not have won 8 grammy awards and sold over 10 million copies worldwide, while the tour for it grossed nearly $400 milllion dollars worldwide! Band loves it, Critics love, Grammy academy loves it, fans love it, its just a small minority who worship the indie scene that seem to have a problem with it.

and at the time both Edge and Bono agreed it was their best work with the exception of Joshua Tree and Achtung.
They always say that about their latest album. :rolleyes:

Atomic Bomb won album of the year from the Grammy awards and also won 7 other grammy awards. Its the one of the most awarded albums in Grammy history.
What pretty much most people here already think is that the grammy awards are not as reliable anymore as they used to. It's pretty much bullshit these days.

Both critics, fans, and the bands peers in the music industry agreed that it was a fantastic album.

Sure they did, it was a new U2 record. People always love it when a new U2 album comes out. It's a very unpopular thing to slag it while it just came out. Would ruin your magazine sales..
Even Axver loved Bomb and Vertigo when it came out.

So do you have ANY argument that's not influenced by other people, the media? Any proper argument at all why Bomb is so fantastic OTHER than "U2 said so so it must be true"?
You know, because others say so doesn't mean you have to agree.

So do you have ANY argument that's not influenced by other people, the media? Any proper argument at all why Bomb is so fantastic OTHER than "U2 said so so it must be true"?

Any argument outside of numbers (i.e. facts) is just subjective. Maiol provided the fact that it sold 10 million copies WW (3 million in the US), and was one of the top selling albums in both 04 & 05, which clearly shows that the public liked the album. Vertigo was a radio hit and the tour that supported this album was a smash success (granted NLOTH's supporting tour is an even bigger smash but the album failed to produce a radio hit). Compare the same numbers to an album like POP and you will find that HTDAAB was much more well received by critics, fans and the public alike. Additionally, Maiol mentioned that the album won 8 Grammy awards and you dismiss it because you feel that "others" feel like you in that they think they are crap. However, the fact is that the 2,000 or so people that vote on the Grammies felt that Bomb was a great album. That would be 2,000 more than NLOTH....unless you will just dismiss their opinions in addition to Maiol's. Also, the media do not blindly give U2 great ratings on all of their albums. HTDAAB was rated as a better album than NLOTH by most critics (see metacritic.com)...again, unless you want to dismiss their opinion as well. Fact is, I hope U2 go back and make an album like HTDAAB because it was a great album (not knocking NLOTH because it is a very good album but more so I am supporting HTDAAB)

I find it funny that people will say "Music is subjective!" for hours on end on why One or more popular U2 is overrated, but then when you like something like Atomic Bomb more than No Line, you're an idiot, tone deaf and don't know anything about good music and you're a blind sheep.

And I like No Line better than Atomic Bomb too, but I do think Bomb is a pretty good if not great record. does it feel like an album? not really, that's my knock on it. but are the songs pretty great? I think so.

I find it funny that people will say "Music is subjective!" for hours on end on why One or more popular U2 is overrated, but then when you like something like Atomic Bomb more than No Line, you're an idiot, tone deaf and don't know anything about good music and you're a blind sheep.

Ha! :up:

Welcome to Interference.

They always say that about their latest album. :rolleyes:

Actually they don't say that about every album if you take a look at the bands interviews from the past.

What pretty much most people here already think is that the grammy awards are not as reliable anymore as they used to. It's pretty much bullshit these days.

Well, what evidence do you have to show that the grammy awards are no longer reliable like they used to be?

Sure they did, it was a new U2 record. People always love it when a new U2 album comes out. It's a very unpopular thing to slag it while it just came out. Would ruin your magazine sales..
Even Axver loved Bomb and Vertigo when it came out.

Well, thats not what happened in Rattle And Hum, Zooropa and POP came out. Those albums, especially POP had it very tough in the media. Even the Unforgettable Fire only got 3 starts out of 5 from Rolling Stone Magazine in 1984. So this idea that people ALWAYS love the new U2 record is clearly false!

Certainly, there is my own personal opinion about the album. But I thought I would give you some reasons and views beyond my personal opinion.

What is your opinion, then?

Well, for starters, I think Miracle Drug, and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own are two of the greatest U2 songs ever written. Both are easily in my top 10 U2 songs of all time.

Vertigo, City Of Blinding Lights, All Because Of You, Original Of The Species, A Man And A Women, and Yahweh are classics!

One Step Closer, Love And Peace and Crumbs For Your Table are really good songs!

I love the production of the album. Steve Lillywhite did an amazing job.

I love Bomb and have to agree with that last post Maoilbheannacht. I would actually take Bomb over NLOTH.:reject: However NLOTH is one of my favorite albums ever.

As for the Grammy nom. I care but I don't care. I care that U2 get noticed and that NLOTH is in running for a Grammy but I don't really care much for the Grammy's. I hope NLOTH wins something and am sure it will but lately, as GG said, it's pretty much a whole lotta nothing. Just a way to turn music into a competition. No one really wins in music. Music is really about being different and having different tastes in music and different styles. No one's better than anybody else. Just my take on it.:wink: Will I watch the Grammy's? Yes, only for what U2's nominated for.

Well, for starters, I think Miracle Drug, and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own are two of the greatest U2 songs ever written. Both are easily in my top 10 U2 songs of all time.

Vertigo, City Of Blinding Lights, All Because Of You, Original Of The Species, A Man And A Women, and Yahweh are classics!

One Step Closer, Love And Peace and Crumbs For Your Table are really good songs!

Now THAT is what I wanted to hear instead of all the "xxx says it's brilliant so it must be" bull!

A post like this I may not necessarily agree with, but at least it shows your point of view.

To quote the los angeles times again:
Grammy voters have backed themselves into a corner with U2. The act's 2009 release, "No Line on the Horizon," kind of has to be nominated for album of the year. Voters regularly nominate U2 in the field -- the act won for 1987's "The Joshua Tree" and 2004's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" -- and U2's prior two releases were Grammy darlings. Though it didn't win, 2000's "All That You Can't Leave Behind" was also nominated for the top prize. Both "Atomic Bomb" and "Leave Behind" spawned plenty of hits and sold into the millions, and both lacked the atmosphere, the grace and the experimental tendencies of "No Line on the Horizon." The latter hasn't spawned a blockbuster such as "Beautiful Day," and it hasn't sold at the pace of U2's recent releases either. It is, however, an artistic triumph. If Grammy voters pass it up, it reinforces the notion of the gala being little more than a popularity contest

Especially the bold part is so true IMHO.

They should just play 7 min version of Moment of Surrender, say fuck you to T. Swift and go back to touring the Claw.

But... :scratch: A man and a woman a classic?

U2 will arrive at the venue on the Claw, furiously squashing the area where the rappers sit.

Oh, crap. I didn't realize I was igniting round #8,236 of the I love/hate ATYCLB/HTDAAB war. :doh:

Only thing worse would be starting round #10,000 of love/hate POP.....

speaking of which, Miami & Wake Up Dead Man are two of the worst U2 songs ever and Do you feel loved might be the most underrated U2 song!!!

Sorry, I couldnt resist. Any how, I am disappointed that NLOTH didn't get more nominations but so be it. On to the next album in 2010.

Maiol mentioned that the album won 8 Grammy awards and you dismiss it because you feel that "others" feel like you in that they think they are crap. However, the fact is that the 2,000 or so people that vote on the Grammies felt that Bomb was a great album. That would be 2,000 more than NLOTH....unless you will just dismiss their opinions in addition to Maiol's.

So we can finally agree that NLOTH is not even half the album HTDAAB was, because the Academy says so.

So we can finally agree that NLOTH is not even half the album HTDAAB was, because the Academy says so.

I think I know what you are trying to imply but I will entertain you for now....The Academy (which is just one portion of an albums "critical success") acknowledged that Bomb was the best album released in 2004. The Academy does not feel that NLOTH was one of the top 5 albums released in 2009, make of it what you will. However, NLOTH was not going against BOMB but rather other 2009 releases. Perhaps if NLOTH were released in 2004 it would have been nominated but we will never know.

With that said, when you take a quote out of context, which I notice you like to do :shifty:, it would appear that I am implying that Bomb is better than NLOTH (or twice as good as you wrote) but my argument is not and never was which is a better album but rather that Bomb was critically and commercially successful.....which it clearly was. Now if you want to ask me which is a better album, I can give you a direct answer :wave:

Back
Top Bottom