Grammy awards 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have absolutely no issue with anyone disliking hip-hop. But you are making completely ignorant and baseless claims about the genre, showing that you do not even remotely understand (your comments on NWA are a perfect example). You are stating your opinion, which is fine, but when people question you on it your mind is closed, you keep repeating the same things without seeking to understand other points of view. Whenever I or others have presented counterpoints you have dismissed, belittled or ignored them.

I have not read one counterpoint from you other than not to be shitty when cobl04 calls me out. If you have some legitimate info to share about NWA for instance, then I would enjoy reading it.

I have absolutely no issue with anyone disliking hip-hop. But you are making completely ignorant and baseless claims about the genre, showing that you do not even remotely understand (your comments on NWA are a perfect example). You are stating your opinion, which is fine, but when people question you on it your mind is closed, you keep repeating the same things without seeking to understand other points of view. Whenever I or others have presented counterpoints you have dismissed, belittled or ignored them.

She's just trolling, engaging is a huge waste of your time. It was fun for a few minutes, but we've definitely hit the dead end, don't fee the troll portion of this conversation.

I'm not getting involved in the root of this argument for reasons that another poster brought up, but isn't it fair to say that what is considered "excellence" & "mediocrity" subjective? Those terms are most likely being tossed around to justify the narrative.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

All I can do here is speak as a (white) follower of the hip hop community, as well as an avid reader of music criticism: the reaction to the former two and latter two records, respectively, aren't even close. There was great furor over Macklemore's Grammy win. By any reasonable objective measure, the Academy has been failing to select the year's most acclaimed and relevant rap albums and the last two happened to be released by white men.

Forget the Beck/Beyonce controversy, I think the Grammys' utter mishandling of one's of music's most forward-thinking genres is 10 times more offensive and more likely to have a racial basis. But, in "fairness," they've always been terrible at picking rap records.

Last edited:
She's just trolling, engaging is a huge waste of your time. It was fun for a few minutes, but we've definitely hit the dead end, don't fee the troll portion of this conversation.

Okay. After one last attempt.

I have not read one counterpoint from you other than not to be shitty when cobl04 calls me out. If you have some legitimate info to share about NWA for instance, then I would enjoy reading it.

Young black men were being racially profiled and worse by LA police. The music was a reaction to that. So therefore it's angry. What kind of music were they supposed to create? Fake happy songs? Music as a political statement has been around for decades.

All I can do here is speak as a (white) follower of the hip hop community, as well as an avid reader of music criticism: the reaction to the former two and latter two records, respectively, aren't even close. There was great furor over Macklemore's Grammy win. By any reasonable objective measure, the Academy has been failing to select the year's most acclaimed and relevant rap albums and the last two happened to be released by white men.

To be fair, I think the better rap album did win last year :wink:

Okay. After one last attempt.

Young black men were being racially profiled and worse by LA police. The music was a reaction to that. So therefore it's angry. What kind of music were they supposed to create? Fake happy songs? Music as a political statement has been around for decades.

Thank you cobl04 for finally including some facts in your post. Yes of course the LAPD was racially profiling young black men and that is racist and wrong but by retaliating and putting a song like "F _ _ Tha Police" in their face, it doesn't really help things now does it?

I like the fact that as a U2 fan, Bono and Co. of made a point of drawing attention to leaders for positive change like MLK, Mandela etc. These great men took the high road by making that change through displayed positive actions and inspired people. I know for a fact that many of the young black males being profiled by the LAPD were not completely innocent. If you advertise through dress and action that you are in a gang (even if it's not true but you look the part) and display anti-social behaviors then that said person will garnish negative attention vs positive. I must restate the point that I do not agree by any means that the LAPD had the right to profile or harass people.

We human beings are very "visual" people and how you dress and present yourself to society determines largely the way you are treated by other people. You can whine and stomp your feet that it's not fair but it unfortunately is a fact. So finally, if your black, white, asian, latino etc don't advertise yourself as being a "gang banger" and then expect to be treated like a king.

Listen dude, I'm going to go now but I think it's fair to say that we have a difference of opinion and it will never be solved because at the heart of the matter - you love the sound of rap/hip-hop, I do not. So that's about it. Have a good night and I enjoyed our debate. :up:

Yeeeahhhhhhh we're getting into "well she was basically kinda asking to get raped dressing like that" territory in the middle of that post. Profiling and subsequent police brutality isn't excusable. Sorry, you shouldn't be a target in a large metropolitan area because you're black and wearing red or blue.

I get that songs like Fuck the Police aren't "helping" forward the societal progress of African Americans, but then that's not what art is always about. Sometimes it's selfish. Sometimes it's revelatory. As a cultural artifact, Fuck the Police is important and shockingly relevant.

Yeah, you're a racist and he's not :up:

That is the type of ignorant comment a child would make as you have completely missed the point of my last comment.

It's too bad I had such high respect for your joke in the other thread.

"The Troll Is Strong With This One" :lol:

but you undid all that with this cliched trash you just spewed out.

Stick with the funny comments bono_212 as they suit you better.

Later.

Yeeeahhhhhhh we're getting into "well she was basically kinda asking to get raped dressing like that" territory in the middle of that post. Profiling and subsequent police brutality isn't excusable. Sorry, you shouldn't be a target in a large metropolitan area because you're black and wearing red or blue.

I get that songs like Fuck the Police aren't "helping" forward the societal progress of African Americans, but then that's not what art is always about. Sometimes it's selfish. Sometimes it's revelatory. As a cultural artifact, Fuck the Police is important and shockingly relevant.

You said it better than I could.

Art isn't supposed to be safe. It can and should provoke. Also, U2 has long supported this kind of art. They had Rage Against the Machine and Public Enemy open for them.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I don't think that article Irvine posted made too much sense.
Well, it would make sense if it was about almost anything but the music industry. In music you can only be as big as your target audience (which does explain why for the longest time black musicians did have to work way harder, because their natural audience didn't buy many records) and music (as everything in the entertainment industry) barely ever favours technical prowess over the ability to connect to your audience.
If artistry was the norm instead of whether we can relate to something then we'd probably all be listening to Philip Glass or Frank Zappa, not to anyone Kanye is opposing nor to Kanye and his bunch of friends themselves.

Kanye can whine all he want, but he appears as blind as the people he likes to attack when it comes to recognising artistry in genres you might not connect with yourself.

Thank you cobl04 for finally including some facts in your post. Yes of course the LAPD was racially profiling young black men and that is racist and wrong but by retaliating and putting a song like "F _ _ Tha Police" in their face, it doesn't really help things now does it?

I like the fact that as a U2 fan, Bono and Co. of made a point of drawing attention to leaders for positive change like MLK, Mandela etc. These great men took the high road by making that change through displayed positive actions and inspired people. I know for a fact that many of the young black males being profiled by the LAPD were not completely innocent. If you advertise through dress and action that you are in a gang (even if it's not true but you look the part) and display anti-social behaviors then that said person will garnish negative attention vs positive. I must restate the point that I do not agree by any means that the LAPD had the right to profile or harass people.

We human beings are very "visual" people and how you dress and present yourself to society determines largely the way you are treated by other people. You can whine and stomp your feet that it's not fair but it unfortunately is a fact. So finally, if your black, white, asian, latino etc don't advertise yourself as being a "gang banger" and then expect to be treated like a king.

Listen dude, I'm going to go now but I think it's fair to say that we have a difference of opinion and it will never be solved because at the heart of the matter - you love the sound of rap/hip-hop, I do not. So that's about it. Have a good night and I enjoyed our debate. :up:

I mean U2 sorta made a rather large thing about pissing off and spitting in the face of those who were killing people in the name of God, fighting against a decades long status quo in their country. Kinda made their careers and all.

But no, that's not the same thing as speaking out against the racial discrimination. Or is it? I dunno, I get confused sometimes. I guess yelling fuck the revolution doesn't really help things. :shrug:

But it's not the same thing! Cause they're white and you like them! Or something.

As far as the rest of your posts...

I'm sorry I shot him, your honor, but he looked like he was up to no good in that red hoodie.

Did you see what she was wearing? She was asking for it!

You really are a treat. And leave my buddy cobl alone.

And I think that basically speaks to the academy just being out of touch for the longest time in general with younger music scenes, not being racist. Much like the first heavy metal Grammy going to Jethro Tull.

There needs to be more diversity (and I don't mean just racial diversity) amongst the people who nominate and decide on winners of the Grammy and other awards, then perhaps more deserved results could be achieved.

And I think that basically speaks to the academy just being out of touch for the longest time in general with younger music scenes, not being racist. Much like the first heavy metal Grammy going to Jethro Tull.

There needs to be more diversity (and I don't mean just racial diversity) amongst the people who nominate and decide on winners of the Grammy and other awards, then perhaps more deserved results could be achieved.

I like that you pointed out that there is more to diversity than racial diversity. That's something that's often overlooked. A diversity of viewpoints and taste is needed too. People think that politics needs more diversity, but minority and female politicians behave exactly the same as white male politicians. There is superficial diversity, but there is no substantial diversity.

The Grammy's are completely out of touch with younger people. They always have been. And they generally have terrible taste. They Grammy voters are basically the only people in the world who, in 1997, didn't think OK Computer was the best album of the year. Their moronic choices have nothing to do with racism. 1/3 of the last 14 AOTY winners are visual minorities anyway.

Fuck Tha Police is one of the best songs ever recorded. It's like a radio play. It's a masterpiece of recorded music. Who cares if it "makes things better"? That's the job of politics, not art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YgZX9Thm0

Very unoriginal and ill thought out comment gvox. Perhaps a little more work is needed on your originality.

You've got a few things you should work on, too. You've made some pretty ugly assumptions about hip-hop & rap culture in this thread. Assumptions that I would hope would be worth some serious self-reflection and evaluation.

This thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom