Grammy awards 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then talk about U2, not about a genre you don't like or understand. If you do that and I see I'm going to call you out. Pretty simple...

Thanks Professor Hip-Hop for warning me. I didn't realize you had assumed the role of judge, jury and executioner here at (how perfectly named in this case)....Everything You Know Is Wrong forum.

Oh man. Major Lolcano going on in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol: Glad I could entertain you and the other readers mikal. Come back tomorrow when cobl04 and I start our next discussion -

"BAGGY PANTS: DO THEY REALLY NEED A BELT OR DO I JUST LIKE ADVERTISING MY UNDERWEAR?"

The hilarious thing about this argument is that cobbler himself would probably readily admit that what he knows about hip-hop is a drop in the bucket, relatively speaking compared to others who post on this board, and somehow Raised thinks he comes off as a know it all? I find that pretty funny.

Sent from my ass crack

Well I like to think I've got a pretty good knowledge of it but yeah I'm a white kid from the other side of the world. it's not much compared to those of you who have grown up with it, in its country of origin. And I've still got a lot to hear/read

I just can't agree with a lot of that article. I mean, I get the general point, but as has been pointed out, the problem here is that Beck's music wasn't mediocre, and the suggestion is almost that every musician who isn't white is inherently superior to all of these white artists who just slip through the cracks. I get so frustrated when I feel like someone can't just celebrate their success because someone like Kanye gets to do whatever he wants out of "frustration".

That's just my two cents. I'm also getting sick of feeling like I can't say something like that without coming off as racist, fwiw. It's nothing of the kind. I'm just really frustrated by Kanye, mostly, and Azealia Banks, too.

Beyonce has 20 Grammys. Kanye is already considered an Artist, and not only by himself. Music by black people is dominating. It doesn't get awards, but awards tend to go more "serious" music. Like Eric Clapton Unplugged.

Exception that proves the rule. There are token accepted black artists (Beyonce, John Legend, Alicia Keys) at the Grammys just as there are are token accepted rock acts (kind of a laugh that "black artists" are so often compartmentalized in the same manner a specific genre would be, but that's the way it is).

My issue is that black excellence (Good Kid Maad City, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy) isn't being rewarded over white mediocrity (The Heist, Marshall Mathers LP 2) with regards to rap. That bothers me.

My issue is that black excellence (Good Kid Maad City, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy) isn't being rewarded over white mediocrity (The Heist, Marshall Mathers LP 2) with regards to rap. That bothers me.

I'm not getting involved in the root of this argument for reasons that another poster brought up, but isn't it fair to say that what is considered "excellence" & "mediocrity" subjective? Those terms are most likely being tossed around to justify the narrative.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I'm not getting involved in the root of this argument for reasons that another poster brought up, but isn't it fair to say that what is considered "excellence" & "mediocrity" subjective? Those terms are most likely being tossed around to justify the narrative.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Best comment of the day IMO :heart:

Exception that proves the rule. There are token accepted black artists (Beyonce, John Legend, Alicia Keys) at the Grammys just as there are are token accepted rock acts (kind of a laugh that "black artists" are so often compartmentalized in the same manner a specific genre would be, but that's the way it is).

A black artist wins so they're "token." Right. A narrative could be spun that racism is being conquered, but instead it's a negative. Some people can't be pleased.

The colour of the artist is incidental, not the determining factor. Just because the record you liked didn't win doesn't mean it's racist.

As for other awards, I saw the AMAs this year and about half the nominees were black, and all the music was "urban" or heavily influenced by hip hop, even the country stuff.

It's just not true any more that black artists are being marginalized. The best reviewed record of the year last year was Run the Jewels. That's got to mean something. Look at the reviews Drake gets. Black artists and hip hop are dominating, and that's something that could be celebrated. Instead, people still make the same old complaints.

Beck is only two letters away from being Black

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This is a contradiction mikal, if I don't know a thing about cobl04 then how can I personally attack him? You see everyone here at Interference really knows very little about each other because of the nature and anonymity of this website.

But out of respect for you and you're online friend I will stop.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that Kanye knows the difference between your and you're.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that Kanye knows the difference between your and you're.

When people resort to spelling and grammar call-outs on the internet, it's the equivalent of running out of ideas. Making a gramatical error is something we have all done so you making this point is really silly.

Instead of being passive-aggressive, just come out and admit that you are not happy about YOUR buddy cobl04 being what you view as attacked when it really is not that at all.

:doh:

I don't think Headache and I have ever really conversed on here, I'm sure he would not consider me a "buddy".

If you step outside of your own bubble for one second you would realise how stupid you look to every other poster here. It's not about grammatical errors, it's about the fact that you can't even remotely open your mind to have a conversation.

cobl04 we have had 2 pages of conversation. If my mind was not open then I would not be able to respond to your statements. What you really mean by "open your mind" is this.

"I'm not happy that RBW completely disagrees with my preferred music choice and so I consider RBW to be closed minded and not listening".

I have absolutely no issue with anyone disliking hip-hop. But you are making completely ignorant and baseless claims about the genre, showing that you do not even remotely understand (your comments on NWA are a perfect example). You are stating your opinion, which is fine, but when people question you on it your mind is closed, you keep repeating the same things without seeking to understand other points of view. Whenever I or others have presented counterpoints you have dismissed, belittled or ignored them.

I don't think Headache and I have ever really conversed on here, I'm sure he would not consider me a "buddy".

If you step outside of your own bubble for one second you would realise how stupid you look to every other poster here. It's not about grammatical errors, it's about the fact that you can't even remotely open your mind to have a conversation.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdximU6Ao00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom