Gone Vs. Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pop version fo sho. i felt it was the biggest insult to the orginal song when they re-recorded it for the best of album. the original was my fav U2 song of ALL time when i was in my early teens

Wow you surely have one of the more interesting usernames around here.. :hmm:

lol i was waiting for that to come up. it started off as an inside joke with friends in high school. we were thinking up of the most absurd usernames to use as logins for the school website. ever since then i've used it for anything i register for online... basically i'm too lazy to come up with another username

Album version. I don't care for any of the new mixes.

This.

Don't ask why I'm in here. Reading this thread made me quickly regret my decision.

I never liked Hedge's background vocals in the New Mix/live version, whatever, "Goooonnnne". The song was fine without it.

What's sad to me is that this song is a mournful one about a guy questioning his whole raison d'être, contemplating ending the way of life he's chosen, and people are picking the New Mix because it rocks more? Who gives a fuck? The studio version has a distinct power because it's coming from a much more emotional, and LESS CALCULATED place.

It may be the least offensive of the New Mixes, but that's like being gang-raped by multiple assailants and complimenting one of them for not spitting on you afterwards.

Any version where Bono screams "HUTCH" before playing....

.....as you know....it meant something.

It may be the least offensive of the New Mixes, but that's like being gang-raped by multiple assailants and complimenting one of them for not spitting on you afterwards.

:crack: ....

:lmao:

(Interesting analogy. In my personal opinion (according to my ears) I find the forcefulness of the new mix adds more emotion, and I find Bono's voice in the chorus really emotive. I just find the whole new mix to be "grander" as a song)

the POP version is murky meh
the best of version isn't much of an improvement
so the live version!

The Pop version is by far my favorite studio version. The drum machine bit in the bridge gets me every time. In terms of live performances, I love the energy of the Boston 2001 version, especially the guitar drop-kick at the end.

What's sad to me is that this song is a mournful one about a guy questioning his whole raison d'être, contemplating ending the way of life he's chosen, and people are picking the New Mix because it rocks more? Who gives a fuck? The studio version has a distinct power because it's coming from a much more emotional, and LESS CALCULATED place.

:up:

Neither version even gets near the live rendition on Popmart. If I had to choose, I would take the album cut.

Calm down pal. People prefer live or different versions of songs all the time. Each one has its own fans, and I don't think anyone said the album version's a bad one either. Plus, it's all subjective anyway.

Live, album, new mix... it is a great song for all those reasons you said though, and I think everyone here can agree to that. :up:

Well I think the New Mix is pretty good and still gives you that sort of feeling of what the song is about. I'm listening to the New Mix of Gone right now and I really enjoy it better than the Pop version, maybe even better then the PopMart versions. The only thing I hate about the New Mix is the start of the song with like Bono's guitar or whatever and then you have Edge's "747" sound come in. When Edge's guitar starts it's really awkward for some reason. Even though the song has such deep meaning I think the way a song is mixed really affects the song. I like all the versions and people have their preferences. Don't like it then too bad.:p

Back
Top Bottom