God Part II, The Fly, Dirty Day, Gone ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think you can separate the Fly and God Part II - Particularly Live

But I'd have other 'rockers' above Gone and Dirty Day.

Ie Vertigo - sorry.

in studio:

1.God Part II
2.Gone
3.The Fly
200.Dirty Day

live:
1.The Fly
2.Dirty Day
3.Gone
4.God Part II

God 2 and Fly are in close contest with each other...

GOD PART 2 HAS BETTER LYRICS LOLOLOLO

The Fly, as my favorite U2 song, beats the other three quite easily. Which isn't to say the others don't kick ass, because they do. Especially live. Dirty Day would be my favorite of the three, followed by Gone and then God Part II.

In order:

God Part II
The Fly (better live)
Gone (better live)
Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix = much better than album version, which I think is the one we're choosing from!)

Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix) is better than the studio version.

God Part II (Studio or Live)
The Fly (Studio or Elevation Tour Version)
Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix)
Gone (Live)

God Part II or The Fly ...

Tough choice but I'd go with God Part II because it came out in 1988 before the whole dance scene kicked off in the UK yet has a lovely electronic sounding beat behind Larry's thundering drums. Not quite techno but still suggestive of it.

Bono is at his screaming his head off best, great lyrics too. Adam has a lovely chunky bass groove going. Fabulous song.

Gone is great but comes in after these two. Dirty Day just doesn't get out of the blocks in this race I reckon.

But I think Acrobat trumps all four songs hands down.

GOYB is a pale effort compared to all of these.

And who mentioned Vertigo in comparison to these four? Seriously? It doesn’t, in comparison, ‘rock’ at all. Being loud means nothing. It needs to have a feeling to match the song.

Edge racing further and further into chaos on the Fly matches the lyric perfectly, the world crumbling around him, he’s spitting out these final pieces of hurtful honesty while Edge is creating the ever increasing urgency. The swirling sensation of Gone also matches the lyric perfectly, the arrogant bravado of this kiss off song tempered against the more truthful anger in the chords, the sadness wailing out over the top (wanky enough for you?) Meanwhile, Vertigo… is like someone who has dressed up as ‘rock’ by buying an Armani leather jacket and getting just the right $500 haircut to match. It misses the mark by a million miles.

(That U2 shook up the mix so greatly on the Gone Best of mix is why I far prefer the album version. They changed the mood of the song).

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.
New York
Surrender
Twilight
MoFo

Just a few they should pull out on this tour. All great rockers.

The Fly of course, though God Part 2 is certainly heavy and is even heavier live. ALl of the choices you have mentioned are great.

And who mentioned Vertigo in comparison to these four? Seriously? It doesn’t, in comparison, ‘rock’ at all. Being loud means nothing. It needs to have a feeling to match the song.

Edge racing further and further into chaos on the Fly matches the lyric perfectly, the world crumbling around him, he’s spitting out these final pieces of hurtful honesty while Edge is creating the ever increasing urgency. The swirling sensation of Gone also matches the lyric perfectly, the arrogant bravado of this kiss off song tempered against the more truthful anger in the chords, the sadness wailing out over the top (wanky enough for you?) Meanwhile, Vertigo… is like someone who has dressed up as ‘rock’ by buying an Armani leather jacket and getting just the right $500 haircut to match. It misses the mark by a million miles.

(That U2 shook up the mix so greatly on the Gone Best of mix is why I far prefer the album version. They changed the mood of the song).

Great post Earnie, I agree completely. Vertigo has always felt too calculated and contrived for me.

My favourite song of the ones listed in Gone, but God Part II runs a pretty close second.

Back
Top Bottom