GMA performance at Fordham triggers signs I'm growing old!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmitFlesti

The Fly
The following occured to me watching the Fordham students at the U2 performance on Good Morning America yesterday:

An 18-22 year old college student today would have been born between 1987 and 1991; that is, between the year Joshua Tree was released and the year Achtung Baby was released!

The relative equivalent time-wise, when I was an 18-22 year-old college student, would have been watching a band whose biggest albums came out between 1970 and 1974, and whose first album had been released in 1963. :ohmy:

Time now for a :beer: !

Someone once said to me they became a fan in 2000 after ATYCLB came out. I said I've been a fan since 1980. He said he said did you get to see the Joshua Tree tour? I said yes I did in '87, he said that was the year I was born. :ohmy:

To help make you feel older, I'm a college-age U2 fan who was born in 1987. :wave:

I became a fan in 2001 and that seems like a long time ago to me.

I'm a grad student now, born in 1986, and became a fan in 2001 when I bought ATYCLB to see what kind of music accompanied Beautiful Day on that record.

I have to say, for all those people who rip on ATYCLB for being safe and generic, I hated the record on first listen because to me it sounded like no other music I had ever heard. Maybe it's not pushing the boundaries for U2, but I have not heard one artist that's made a similar sounding record. Needless to say, I love it now.

i'm 26, grew up with family listening to U2, my aunt has a recording of me at age 4 singing I Still haven't found what i'm looking for, embraced them on my own around the time of POP, not a long time ago in the grand scheme of U2 fandom but i feel like an old vet now hehe :)

The following occured to me watching the Fordham students at the U2 performance on Good Morning America yesterday:

An 18-22 year old college student today would have been born between 1987 and 1991; that is, between the year Joshua Tree was released and the year Achtung Baby was released!

The relative equivalent time-wise, when I was an 18-22 year-old college student, would have been watching a band whose biggest albums came out between 1970 and 1974, and whose first album had been released in 1963. :ohmy:

I like to look at this way: these poor college students were born too late... :D

I like to look at this way: these poor college students were born too late... :D

Yup, kinda how I felt seeing Zeppelin in '79 - Missed all the best tours.

Still, I'm ok knowing my first U2 tour was the Boy Tour

If it makes you old farts feel any better i will be 38 in a couple of months, but i still look like im in my mid 20's. Well that probably doesnt make anyone feel any better but....me. :sexywink: Cheers:up:

If it makes you old farts feel any better i will be 38 in a couple of months, but i still look like im in my mid 20's. Well that probably doesnt make anyone feel any better but....me. :sexywink: Cheers:up:

Are you single? LOL!

Yeah, it just blows my mind though that there are some people for whom U2 began around 2000! I wish I were old enough to have seen them and understood them in 1987...or 1983 at Red Rocks :drool:

I've been a fan since TJT tour, it was the first concert I went to, my brother was taking care of me and he is a great fan, I've gone to all their concerts in my country since then and I have enjoyed every one of them.

I'm now a teacher and some of my students, ranged from twelve to eighteen years old, are U2 fans, when they talk to me about the songs they like and their meanings I really envy them, it's such a blowing mind experience listening to WOWY, One, Streets, etc... for the first time. This experience with my students is what has led me in the listening of the new album: I'm not going to anylise or compare it with anything, I'm enjoying so much the new music.

EmitFlesti, you couldn't enjoy the early tours live, but you have been able to get the albums at your own pace, we, older people, have been waiting for the "new U2 album" forever, it's like a constant in our lives.

Just to end, I don't buy this theory implicit on the media that says that a person reaching his/her forties is finished, it's a medium age person at the summit of his/her intellectual life, it's only something advertisers say to sell new products and clothes designers to sell mediocricy. I've never been a Rolling Stones fan, but I went to their concert in Slane two years ago and I had a very good time, they are almost at their 70's.

Graduated High School June 10th 1987 about six months later a female friend in the Navy gave me a book called The Unforgettable Fire I have loved them ever since:hug:

Will be 40 September 1, 2009:reject:

LOL

I'm kinda disappointed that I was born during the second year of ZooTV. And my parents wouldn't take me as an infant. :(

I will be 49 in April of this yr & I remember my first show I went to. It was during the War Tour. So I really feel old, but I actually got to see U2 during it's best yrs which were from 83 to 92.

You arent old, its just U2 are a brilliant band that appeals to anyone, of any age.

so true :up: i'm only 17, and i wish so badly that i could have seen U2 in the 80s :sad: i saw them on vertigo when i was 14, but i wish i could have gotten a head start like that like 20 years ago :(
it's gotten to the point where i'm jealous of any ALIVE in the 80s, let alone someone who saw U2 :sigh:

^
I bet I lived in the 80's in another life. I actually get pissed off when I watch R&H...cause I know that they will NEVER be that good...nor will any other band come along and top that :(:(:(:(:(

so true :up: i'm only 17, and i wish so badly that i could have seen U2 in the 80s :sad: i saw them on vertigo when i was 14, but i wish i could have gotten a head start like that like 20 years ago :(
it's gotten to the point where i'm jealous of any ALIVE in the 80s, let alone someone who saw U2 :sigh:

wow, i think i should actually change that to "head start 30 years ago".....20 years would only make it 1989....omg :yikes:

Someone once said to me they became a fan in 2000 after ATYCLB came out. I said I've been a fan since 1980. He said he said did you get to see the Joshua Tree tour? I said yes I did in '87, he said that was the year I was born. :ohmy:

My son was born in 1986. Age is just a number, we're as young as we choose to feel. Oftentimes I even forget how old I really am!!:huh:

I'm 33. :reject:

I have a 3 year old daughter who likes NLOTH. So she says to me as she dances to GOYB. :wink:

My wife jumps on the bandwagon when they are in town. :up:

I know getting old is no fun, but as far as U2 goes, I am envious.

U2 has been in my household like it has for many of us younger fans, my entire life. My mother and aunt are huge fans, my dad is at least a casual fan. I cant say I really became a fan until the 2002 Super Bowl Performance. That was my first experience with Streets, which I am sure sounds so strange for all of you older fans. I dont know where I would be without youtube, watching the War, UF and especially, JT and Zoo TV tours sometimes really makes me wish I had been born earlier! Not that U2 was not as good on Vertigo, plenty of people who have seen them since boy say they are still just as good, just that they were A HELL OF A LOT different I am sure. Not better or worse, but it would have been awesome to see them when they had rocketed to the top with JT.

Like someone else said, for all you older fans, you should be proud that your favorite band can reach across generational boundaries like they have. Can not think of any other band their equal on that count.

Oh well, at least I can say that I was born the same month JT came out!

I'm kinda disappointed that I was born during the second year of ZooTV. And my parents wouldn't take me as an infant. :(

Kind of like how I wish I had seen the ZooTV tour, yet I was only 7 at the time and never even heard of the band at the time? ;)

Back
Top Bottom