Glastonbury TV Coverage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PennyLanePHINS

Refugee
Figured we could let people know when/where it would be on. I know BBC airs it in the UK, but does anyone know if the conert is aired in the United States? Palladia HD airs old Glastonbury shows, does anyone know if they showed the 2010 version live?

There's been some talk it could be shown on U2.com. Hope we hear some updates soon.

It doesn't look like it was broadcast into the US last year?

However, BBC signed a new deal with Glastonbury last year, a couple of months before the festival, giving them the worldwide rights. Perhaps they simply didn't knock anything up in time last year. All three of this years headliners would be more attractive to the US market too.

I'm sure at least it will be available online, and of course, plenty of ways to watch international tv online anyway.

You'd think they will be selling it everywhere they could. Their investment in it is huge. £5m, 400 staff, the whole weekend broadcast over three tv channels and three radio stations.

That site might work. They used to have sports streams, but the NFL/MLB usually take the streams down now since the site had grown more popular. Hopefully the BBC wouldn't take it down or won't know about it. There are plenty of those sites though.

There has been chatter in the U2.com Community chat that they may be working something out to stream U2's set on the website too which would be good, and probably clearer than Justin. And it was said by a moderator, but nothing is confirmed yet. Hopefully they are allowed to stream it!

It seems strange BBC would let Palladia air old Glastonbury shows and not the live one in 2011. I'm surprised they didn't sell it to VH1 or something, unless we just haven't heard yet. It's getting very close though. Or even BBC America, I checked their schedule and nothing is listed.

I hope BBC America has it. If MTV and VH1 were still relevant and actually had music, they could be airing it. :tsk: They should be the ones showing things like this.

BBC is surprisingly hard ass about stuff. Chances are over 95% it will not be streamed or aired live in North America, it probably will show up on Palladia and/or BBC-A eventually. Also, if justin.tv gets it, it'll probably get taken off pretty quickly. That said...there are usually ways to tap into the BBC live stream out there if one is good with the Googling. ;)

Even if there's no decent/reliable live option, the BBC are evidently not that fussed about their stuff ending up on YouTube, so U2 fans being U2 fans, I think you could rely on it all popping up there very, very quickly.

Didn't the Palladia channel or whatever it's called always air it? Not necessarily live, but they'd air it a few days after it happened.

The BBC have a dedicated Glasto website which I believe streams the shows live, but only to UK residents. BBC - Glastonbury Festival - Home

However, you can download some free software called ExpatShield which will allow you view the show from outside the UK on the BBC iplayer. I have used it to watch some soccer games and it worked very well.

Enjoy.

BBC coverage was announced today. U2 LIVE from 9.45pm on the Friday night (U2 due on stage at 10pm...ish) on BBC2 and iPlayer. Given the timeframe, looks like it will definitely be the whole thing.

Parents will be firmly informed that they are on recording duties :D

BBC coverage was announced today. U2 LIVE from 9.45pm on the Friday night (U2 due on stage at 10pm...ish) on BBC2 and iPlayer. Given the timeframe, looks like it will definitely be the whole thing.

how exciting! thank god for freeview satellite tv!! i know what i'm doing that friday night! BBC2 and big glass of wine!

The BBC have a dedicated Glasto website which I believe streams the shows live, but only to UK residents. BBC - Glastonbury Festival - Home

However, you can download some free software called ExpatShield which will allow you view the show from outside the UK on the BBC iplayer. I have used it to watch some soccer games and it worked very well.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip on that software...I used Watch British TV (I think it was some kind of batch file) to watch live last year but I don't think it works any more. My only problem this year is that since they play on Friday, I will still be at the office when they come on, I hope it's a quiet afternoon workwise... ;)

And you must make it a Lovetown evening. So don't forget your opening act: BB King Live, 8-9pm on BBC4 and iPlayer (which of course comes with a chance of Bono/Edge at some point.)

:hmm:
The U2 coverage seems to be spread out across different channels. From the BBC site ( BBC - Press Office - BBC announces most comprehensive multi-platform coverage of Glastonbury to date )

Full TV broadcast details (not confirmed):
Friday 24 June

BBC Two
2145-2230 U2 Live (BBC Four picks up at 22.30-2300)
2300-2600 U2 Live plus Highlights

BBC Four
2000-2100 BB King
2100-2200 Morrissey
2200-2230 Jimmy Cliff
2230-2300 U2 Live (picking up from BBC Two)

So it looks like it's going to be BBC Two --> BBC Four --> BBC Two. And I don't think I can get BBC Four. :(
Do they really have to cut out U2 for Newsnight? Isn't there a more elegant solution? (move Newsnight or delay the broadcast of the concert until 23:00, immediately after Newsnight)

Do they really have to cut out U2 for Newsnight? Isn't there a more elegant solution? (move Newsnight or delay the broadcast of the concert until 23:00, immediately after Newsnight)

$5 says Newsnight have a special on the negative effects of tax havens that night. "A representative for U2 said Bono was unavailable for comment at this moment."

Back
Top Bottom