Glastonbury performance disappointing because of Bono's shoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was disappointed more because Larry fucked up the very first song than anything else. Also, because the setlist was lacking. If you're going to do a proper greatest hits show, where is New Year's Day? Where is All I Want Is You (which should have closed)? And why the shit did they play Elevation?

It was more an Achtung Baby promo show than a Greatest Hits show.

I loved the set. Short, but it wasn't a full U2 concert after all.

I was disappointed more because Larry fucked up the very first song than anything else. Also, because the setlist was lacking. If you're going to do a proper greatest hits show, where is New Year's Day? Where is All I Want Is You (which should have closed)? And why the shit did they play Elevation?

Spot on, All I want Is You would have been a perfect closer.

The ending of the gig was very rushed after they went off for the encore they were rushed back on stage probaly something to do with it being live on tv.they literally jogged back on stage.

They also mistimed the gig and you could tell they just threw out of control in there
to make up time.mos finished about 10 mintues before the end of the alloted time they had a few words with each other at the end of the song and decided to play out of control.

At Glastonbury, U2 should have just played the video of the December 31, 1989 show at the Point Depot from the LoveTown Tour over the screens. Would have shook the whole place to it's core.

don't you mean his spinal cord?

after the kind of surgery B had, and with the risks entailed, you seriously wouldn't want to be throwing yourself about, really!
Apparently you are misinformed about what the injury had to with. Read the following article:

Bono's injury and treatment - News - QTheMusic.com

It was his sciatic nerve that got compressed, he didn't break his back. The media and ignorant online journalists that came up with headlines BONO BROKE HIS BACK are the ones to blame because they fooled the entire fanbase.

If Bono would have broken his spinal cord he would have died instantly, so please inform yourself before saying atrocities like that.

Apparently you are misinformed about what the injury had to with. Read the following article:

It was his sciatic nerve that got compressed, he didn't break his back. The media and ignorant online journalists that came up with headlines BONO BROKE HIS BACK are the ones to blame because they fooled the entire fanbase.

If Bono would have broken his spinal cord he would have died instantly, so please inform yourself before saying atrocities like that.

Not misinformed, no. And, dude, you don't "break" your spinal cord ;) Ever do biology at school? The risk to his spinal cord would've come from the disc fragments floating round his spinal canal - read thru the link you posted. The risks related to B-man's injury went A LOT further than sciatic nerve compression. Clearer now?

Jeez you really talking crap btw - people don't "die instantly" from spinal cord injuries - it's motor function that's affected, causing paralysis etc. Maybe you should educate yourself before you start calling informed people "uninformed"

As un-fucking-believable as it may be to most people on here, a lot of people like Elevation, I have no idea why...

Gotta cheer for Elevation - yeah, I got annoyed with the heavy radio rotation, but I still love it. Why? Because it's a fun, nonsense song with alot of energy. There are alot of songs out there that have alot of energy, are fun to bang around to, and the lyrics are silly. But they don't win prizes and annoy some people. Hey, girls just wanna have fun!

Point of fact, you could sever someone's spinal cord just below the brain stem and they would not "die instantly." The brain will go for another 3-6 minutes before being affected by oxygen deprivation. Maybe ten minutes before expiration.

However, the spinal cord itself is very ticklish. Pressure on it, even miniscule amounts (such as pieces of a disc, perhaps?) can shut down or alter entire lines of communication. Damage can be caused by abrasion, even fragments as small as a grain of sand. Damage is permanent. So the pain and paralysis that Bono reported could have easily become permanent, he'd be wheelchair-bound and on strong pain medication the rest of his life.

FROM THE ARTICLE
The ligament surrounding the disc had an 8mm tear and during surgery we discovered fragments of the disc had traveled into the spinal canal. This surgery was the only course of treatment for full recovery and to avoid further paralysis.

The article reported an 8mm tear in the ligament. Now, looking at a ruler, that looks small. But there? In that spot? That's a good size hole! And they mention the spinal canal. Sure, it's sounds like a nice big area, but in fact it's not. It's certainly not big enough for pieces of disc to be floating around in without causing irritation - which leads to swelling. Fluid can compress the spinal cord just as easily as solid objects, cutting off or altering lines of communication.

True story: a ladder broke under me while I was framing a window and I ended up "breaking" my tailbone. The ER doc warned me that while the damage was not bad, the area was weak and another smack like that in the same area could cause me to have pain and other problems the rest of my life. When I went back to work, I discovered I had a fear of climbing ladders. I knew it was ridiculous, but everytime I went up a ladder, I felt panic, and even had to talked down sometimes. The fear went away after about six months, but I always remember it every time I go up a ladder.

Therefore, I could not blame Bono one bit for mentioning that he had on the wrong shoes and it contributed negatively to his performance. He's gotta be a bit crazy to go on gallavanting like he used to, risking another injury to the same area. But he doesn't have to be completely stupid about it.

Now, can we get off the shoe issue??

goat

rivergoat, I agree with your post. Noone said Bono "broke his back", his injury has been very well documented.

Someone who's had such an injury isn't likely to take any risks, simply because it's traumatizing and I'm sure Bono wouldn't want to risk any new injury in the middle of a tour that had to be postponed once before because of what had happened to him. That alone should be fact enough that Bono's injury was serious and not something he shouldn't be sensitive about. In fact I think Bono is brave and I've never heard him complaining, but not taking risks is the least he can do in his position. The area where he hurt himself will never be as strong and stable again as it was before and he's not young anymore, so I totally understand his concerns - and I'm sure they are shared by his bandmates and family.

And now back to the shoe business :D

These comments are making me really mad, seriously. You people really have no idea. Go and do some research. If you knew only half about the kind of injury B had you wouldn't be saying this stuff. This is just ignorant. He had a very serious injury and could have ended up in a wheelchair.

How can such a smart person fall for one of U2's best PR stunt's over the last 10 years? Bono had that same back injury for 9 years and he tried everything, including seeking the help of a crank doctor from Germany. However, as witnessed by a few fans late in 2009, it was obvious that it wasn't working. Then the first 6 months of 2010 the band went an unexplained 6 month break, and no one knows why. Why didn't Bono seek medical surgery for his back then? What was he doing, knitting 30 pairs of mittens?

No. I reckon that people such as Benji and Acrobat are right to be suspicious. Yes, he had a poorly back, all right. But he also had a game plan which was to delay the next leg scheduled from June 2010 until the following year so that it coincided with the remastered version of Actung Baby.

Benji said that their would have been no risk from the fragments within the spinal cord canal, only he deflated his argument by becoming increasingly hysterical as the post went on.

Stop blaming Bono for everything that's gone wrong. For a change, not everything about the not so fortunate Glastonbury performance was his fault. Some fans are worse than the man's worst enemies and try to do anything to make Bono look bad just because he fails to live up to their own expectations. I'm sure Bono is critical enough of his own performance.

Don't get me wrong. I do like Bono very much. But it that doesn't exclude him from being cunning. Michael Eavis no doubt knew this deep down because he's no wally, he's a very shrewd businessman. I met Mr Eavis in August this year when he came to reopen our Oxfam shop. He's paying for the shops rental for a year.

If Bono just had his medical procedure in January of last year and played Glastonbury 6 months latter like U2 (deceitfully) said they would, then they would have stood a better chance. It was dry and sunny last year!

Maybe Glastonbury would be a lesson to U2 that stupid game planning doesn't always succeed.

Annie, Benji was proven to be a liar. He ended up fleeing interference because he was caught too many times. I wouldn't consider him a source.

Really? Why did I miss this? When was the last time anyone heard from him? I did say in my previous post that his argument was ruined when he descended into conspiracy theory. Didn't he say that he can prove his theory by the fact that Chris Blackwell drinks at the same bar as him?

To think that a person would fiddle around with major surgery and their health in order to time a tour so that it ends months before a reissued (read: not new) album's released is just plain moronic. There must be a hell of a lot of drinking at that bar.

To think that a person would fiddle around with major surgery and their health in order to time a tour so that it ends months before a reissued (read: not new) album's released is just plain moronic. There must be a hell of a lot of drinking at that bar.

:up:

I think the whole conspiracy theory is just ridiculous beyond belief.

IMO, Bono would be the LAST person to cancel a show, let alone a whole tour leg because of health reasons if he feels he can do it. That alone should be prove that he was really in a lot of trouble. We should be glad he recovered well enough to actually pull the rest of the tour through instead of throwing around with theories like these. I expect U2 haters to come up with these ideas, not fans.

Cactus Annie said:
How can such a smart person fall for one of U2's best PR stunt's over the last 10 years? Bono had that same back injury for 9 years and he tried everything, including seeking the help of a crank doctor from Germany. However, as witnessed by a few fans late in 2009, it was obvious that it wasn't working. Then the first 6 months of 2010 the band went an unexplained 6 month break, and no one knows why. Why didn't Bono seek medical surgery for his back then? What was he doing, knitting 30 pairs of mittens?

No. I reckon that people such as Benji and Acrobat are right to be suspicious. Yes, he had a poorly back, all right. But he also had a game plan which was to delay the next leg scheduled from June 2010 until the following year so that it coincided with the remastered version of Actung Baby.

Benji said that their would have been no risk from the fragments within the spinal cord canal, only he deflated his argument by becoming increasingly hysterical as the post went on.

Don't get me wrong. I do like Bono very much. But it that doesn't exclude him from being cunning. Michael Eavis no doubt knew this deep down because he's no wally, he's a very shrewd businessman. I met Mr Eavis in August this year when he came to reopen our Oxfam shop. He's paying for the shops rental for a year.

If Bono just had his medical procedure in January of last year and played Glastonbury 6 months latter like U2 (deceitfully) said they would, then they would have stood a better chance. It was dry and sunny last year!

Maybe Glastonbury would be a lesson to U2 that stupid game planning doesn't always succeed.

Ive heard it all now, they did it all because of the achtung baby reissue?lol

U2's reissues dont do very well my friend.they dont sell well at all compared to other bands remasters.

The achtung baby reissue got to number 35 in the uk charts and it will drop like a stone today.

Im pretty sure that 35 is the highest place reissue aswell.boy,ocotber.uabrs and the unforgetable fire barely got in the top 100.

So they did all that for a reissue that aint going to sell very well give me a break!

And people judge him for flying his lucky hat around the world. He should have flown over some platform cleats.

What I don't understand is why Bono didn't, after 4 of 5 songs realising that his shoes were wrong for the stage, speak to someone off-stage and get them to run and find him some different ones, or even wellies! Surely Bono didn't travel to Glastonbury with just one pair of stage shoes?!

Back
Top Bottom