Glastonbury-3 Years on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most beautiful thing of all is that U2 and the Glssto staff arranged these specially built ramps for Bono/Edge/Adam to come down of and venture into the crowd or just visit the front row..
They even dumped about 100 sq ft of bark to cover up all the mud in front of the gap between front row and the stage. There was a lot of fuss about it.

T' was all for nothing , the band never used them. :lol:

The band did use the extended stage a few times but it was only small and was still a fair distance from the front barriers so i didnt see the point of it, they might aswell just stayed on the stage cause they wasnt that much closer.

Why didnt they have the stage go more or less right up against the front barriers? Didnt make sense to me. I think the amount of rain falling did put Bono off though!

Does anyone think they will ever do it again?

10/1 the bookies are giving for them to do it next year

Well, being a big bunch of babies about it isn't going to do much to fight the press and impress new fans.

If the reason they were so grumpy was all the bad publicity going into it, then the best thing they could've done was go out there and have a great time. Let the media know they don't give a fuck. They didn't do that.

The media would have found ways anyway to rip them apart. I don't think there was much chance of U2 winning this. Smiling and looking happy and confident surely wouldn't have helped the way some of you are thinking. While I would have liked to see a different, better performance by U2 with better weather and all, I still think it was kind of interesting to see their human side here.

I think with the Glasto trauma they clearly have it's very unlikely they will EVER perform there again, I don't even think they'll do any festival gig ever again. And I don't think they really need to. As a fan, I don't care if U2 is able to convince a snobbish festival crowd or now.

They would convince them if they stopped giving a fuck. There are so many artists out there of a similar or older vintage who don't give a fuck, and not only are they putting out good shit, the shows are great as well.

Instead, we end up with fucking tripe like Ordinary Love (followed by the most boring, soft, pathetic rendition at the Oscars, which of course got a standing ovation they didn't deserve) a decent single in Invisible, and then the news that nothing's been done, because they want to be relevant.

If they made a record they want to make, it would probably be great. But because they're trying to kowtow to modern trends, it will be unspeakably awful and frankly it makes me hope they're done.

Honestly, anyone that gives a fuck about sales figures and radio play in the year 2014 needs to call it quits because they're going to be miserable about their work. The best selling rock album of the year, Ghost Stories, sold 383,000 copies in its first week despite a huge hit single. NLOTH performed better than that with Sexy Boots as a single. Meanwhile, Ghost Stories was widely met with a shrug despite leading the pack in sales.

U2 needs to make the album they really want to make because their goals are unattainable in this climate. It's not even their fault; it's an issue much bigger than them (except Bono because he fat). The sooner they stop giving a fuck, the better off we'll all be.

Last edited:
Was magic really a huge single? I dont think it was myself

Boing Boing Baggies Baggies

Magic went to #14 here, same as Paradise, charting higher than any U2 single since...Discotheque. :happy: A Sky Full of Stars charted even higher, at #10.

Yet no one's buying the album. Take note, U2.

(Honestly, if anyone bought Ghost Stories because of A Sky Full of Stars, they're a fucking moron.)

Last edited:
Glastonbury to Metallica, and then of course it comes back to Coldplay. This forum should really be retitled.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Magic went to #14 here, same as Paradise, charting higher than any U2 single since...Discotheque. :happy: A Sky Full of Stars charted even higher, at #10.

Yet no one's buying the album. Take note, U2.

(Honestly, if anyone bought Ghost Stories because of A Sky Full of Stars, they're a fucking moron.)

As much as my first reactions belie this, Sky Full of Stars is actually great on that album, because most of the rest is just so mopey and crap.

Glastonbury to Metallica, and then of course it comes back to Coldplay. This forum should really be retitled.

There's no way discussion about that disappointing Glastonbury performance could be sustained for five full pages.

As much as my first reactions belie this, Sky Full of Stars is actually great on that album, because most of the rest is just so mopey and crap.

What I meant was that anyone buying the album for A Sky Full of Stars got swindled. My favorite description of the song is that it's "like a party animal at a funeral."

When Avicii comes in, I just start laughing. It's like they got a file containing a beat from Avicii and Chris Martin pasted it into the waveform without listening to make sure it fit the song.

Last edited:
No it isn't.

Compared to the rest of the mopey shit on Ghost Stories (which you didn't quote) it is.

U2 needs to make the album they really want to make because their goals are unattainable in this climate. It's not even their fault; it's an issue much bigger than them (except Bono because he fat). The sooner they stop giving a fuck, the better off we'll all be.

:up: :up: Sadly I don't know if we will ever see the day when they stop giving a fuck.

Well, the extended platform up front actually had stairs to go down to the audience.. So they could have done it, but yep, something (nerves, rain..)was stopping them.

Well, the extended platform up front actually had stairs to go down to the audience.. So they could have done it, but yep, something (nerves, rain..)was stopping them.

Just out of interest could the band see the massive balloon tax protest thing from the stage?

I couldnt see it from were i was cause i didnt really look behind me but looking at the footage of it, it didnt seem like it was to far back.

Boing Boing Baggies Baggies

I suppose that if I performing at Glastonbury and it was very rainy, the last thing I would want to do is walk up and down stairs during the show.

loved the Metallica performance, well impressed! they certainly looked like they were enjoying themselves up there...

Kasabian last night, on the other hand, came across as really annoying, illiterate jumped up twats, and their performance was worse than boring

ps - i love Sky Full of Stars - i listen to it all the time, along with Magic :D

haven't bought the album though - youtube is my friend

Bono said he couldn't step on the stairs because the floor was like ice and he was scared. I guess if you had to cancel the whole thing only one year earlier because of a really bad back injury you think twice before you start jumping down wet stairs.

U2 is clearly well known for not caring what people think. To suggest they might start that now is ... naive at best. Almost as good a myth as "but they should be making the music they want to".

LOL...the best performance of their lives wouldn't have change many minds at this point in their career.

Funnily I just watched it again last week on youtube.
I thought it was great on video. I wasn't there in person.
I thought the first 7 or 8 tunes were killin.
For me it went downhill with the trio of Boots, Vertigo, and Elevation.
Bleh.
The only other negative I'd say was that EBTTRT's intro was clearly botched and edited post show. Even then you can still hear how none of them were in the same spot on the downbeat.
Whatever.

U2 is clearly well known for not caring what people think. To suggest they might start that now is ... naive at best. Almost as good a myth as "but they should be making the music they want to".

LOL...the best performance of their lives wouldn't have change many minds at this point in their career.

Wait....what? I thought all U2 cared about was selling albums with lots of hits, and that the Glastonbury show sucked because they were feeling down in the dumps about all of the negative press.

U2 clearly care what people think.

There are only 3 opinions that U2 care about; Morrissey, Henry Rollins, and Rush fans.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

ahahahahaha what the fuck is this shit

It wasn't that good of a performance. To think it has to be included in the all-time top 100 of Glastonbury just because it's U2 is ludicrous.

the worst thing about that list is that it overlooked the legendary Waterboys gig in 1986 which went down in history as one of their defining performances

Back
Top Bottom