Glastonbury-3 Years on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only watched their Glastonbury performance once on youtube. My sense is they (Bono) totally lost the crowd a few songs in and it was downhill from there. Due to the rain and unfamiliar surroundings (away from the comfort of the 360 stage set up) they couldn't recover. In the end they ignored the crowd and instead of projecting outwards to the crowd they tended to just look at themselves more and more as the show went on. Not a way to win a festival crowd. A very un-Bono like performance. It's probably as uncertain and as unconfident I've ever seen U2. Bono gave up.

Musically I thought it was fine.

Great points

Dispite some of the U2 hate in the crowd, overall it was an amazing performence.

2011 had som realy good performences, they always seems to have more fun in the end of the tours :)

And when we are back in the year 2011, I found this great IEM recording of the Pittsburgh show from the same year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sna8wFA20LM

You got to listen to the Discothèque snippet in 1:24:35 in the clip, listen to it with headphones and loud volume :drool:

I think U2 and Metallica faced similar situation leading to Glastonbury. Both bands faced a lot criticism before the show (is there anyone good enough for Glastonury these days according this people?). However, Metallica more appeared much more confident, had a video parody of the hunting criticism and went to give out one of their best performances in years (that performance of Creeping Death opening the show is problably the best of that song since the 90's). They came out on fire like they had something to prove. U2 on the other hand, came out really nervous, and that mistake on the intro of EBTTRT was ridiculous. They really never recovered despite some good performances (The Fly was really good). However, Metallica is much more used too festivals, as they play in European festivals every summer, but it was quite a different audience for them too.

Back
Top Bottom