Gene simmons accuses U2 of using backing tracks at gigs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This wasn't a corporate gig, it was literally some dude wanted KISS to play in his backyard and they did it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Just saying many bands play private gigs of some kind. What difference does it make if some corporate CEO shells out the money to have a band play for his top level employees of some rich guy pays for them to play for his buddies?

I actually playing someone's back yard is cooler.

"invited guests and kids from the Special Olympics."

Yeah, I'm putting that in a different category than Kiss playing for "40 corporate mucky-mucks reliving their days in the KISS Army" or "birthday party for Dictator of Lurleenistan."

(Sure, "invited guests" might have been 40 of Bono's favorite investor pals, but Special Olympics kids automatically cancels the other guys out.)

Agree. This was actually an example of why I love U2. They didn't play a concert for some douchebag people who wanted a private concert, they did it for Special Olympic children.....that's about as rock star as hot chocolate!

U2 also played the opening(or closing) ceremony of the Special Olympics back in the Vertigo days I believe and I loved it.

Agree. This was actually an example of why I love U2. They didn't play a concert for some douchebag people who wanted a private concert, they did it for Special Olympic children.....that's about as rock star as hot chocolate!

But they did play for "douchebag people" (your term not mine), they played for 300 employees/invited guests of the private jet company as well as the special olympians.
So this was only half a cup of hot chocolate, the other half was filled with Jack Daniels.

Lots of bands do corporate gigs. DMB, Kiss, even the Rolling Stones have done them. If you are willing to pay their fee, they'll do the gig.

A guy I knew in high school rented out a ballroom at a large downtown hotel and paid a relatively well-known (in Canada at least) alternative band $20,000 to play his 17th birthday. He got his parents to front the cash, invited the whole school and charged everybody $40 to get in (snacks/cake/pop included) and easily made a profit, and became the coolest kid in school since he had Sloan actually playing a full concert set at his birthday. It required nothing more than calling up the bands management and telling them he wanted them to play on a certain night and asking how much the fee was. They didn't care what the hell it was for as long as they got paid, within reason of course (I'm sure they wouldn't have played the NAMBLA annual general meeting, for example). It's not uncommon and I don't begrudge any band, KISS included, for doing it, people gotta make a living. There are plenty of other more legitimate reasons to hate on KISS.

I have no problem with pre-recorded tracks, it is pretty normal and it adds a lot to the songs. What seemed very weird to me was that U2 insists the keyboard player Terry Lawless must be always hidden under the stage. That is very hypocritic

I used to really be into Sloan about 10 years ago! I say it's time I revisit them!

Aerosmith is another band that does a lot of corporate gigs. If the money's there, why the hell not?

Where I live, Honda has a very strong presence, and employ about 50% of the county I live in. They actually rented out nationwide arena in Columbus, and hired Kiss to play for their employees and families. My wife was there and said there wasn't an empty seat in the house. That was probably a good payday for them!

I have no problem with pre-recorded tracks, it is pretty normal and it adds a lot to the songs. What seemed very weird to me was that U2 insists the keyboard player Terry Lawless must be always hidden under the stage. That is very hypocritic

How do you know that Terry Lawless isn't the one insisting he NOT be on stage?

I mean, I don't know the case, but to act like U2 has Terry Lawless in some sort of indentured servitude is a little silly.

It would be hypocritical if U2 publicly denounced hidden, backing, musicians used by other bands.

I actually do remember reading an interview with Bono where he says that Terry Lawless doesn't like the attention.

But he could have been LYING.

I´m sure if they asked him to play his parts or control the sequencers on the stage, he would manage it just fine, he is a professional.
But the problem is U2 wants to make an impression on the crowd that U2 is about 4 people and no one else. If it is prerecorded tracks, it´s okay. But if there are actually musician/musicians playing some parts hidden under the stage, it is very weird.

I´m sure if they asked him to play his parts or control the sequencers on the stage, he would manage it just fine, he is a professional.
But the problem is U2 wants to make an impression on the crowd that U2 is about 4 people and no one else. If it is prerecorded tracks, it´s okay. But if there are actually musician/musicians playing some parts hidden under the stage, it is very weird.

Have you asked U2 if this is the case? Got any interviews or anything to support this statement? Since you're making a fairly big assumption there...

I've seen the same interview as Djerdap, wish I could remember where it was from. But Terry himself stated he's not too big of a fan of all the attention and didn't mind the underworld where it was quiet and more relaxed... so maaaaaybe it's not U2's decision after all.

It is very weird that you pretend to know everyone's thoughts, yet facts are meaningless to you.

Facts or not, it's a disgrace.
I got a ticket to see Terry Effin Lawless play the keyboards.
:down:

A guy I knew in high school rented out a ballroom at a large downtown hotel and paid a relatively well-known (in Canada at least) alternative band $20,000 to play his 17th birthday. He got his parents to front the cash, invited the whole school and charged everybody $40 to get in (snacks/cake/pop included) and easily made a profit, and became the coolest kid in school since he had Sloan actually playing a full concert set at his birthday. It required nothing more than calling up the bands management and telling them he wanted them to play on a certain night and asking how much the fee was. They didn't care what the hell it was for as long as they got paid, within reason of course (I'm sure they wouldn't have played the NAMBLA annual general meeting, for example). It's not uncommon and I don't begrudge any band, KISS included, for doing it, people gotta make a living. There are plenty of other more legitimate reasons to hate on KISS.

Thing is KISS don't need to do anything to make a living, whereas Sloan most definitely do need to work. Awesome that your friend got them to play his birthday party! Did the band hang out after? They're nice guys, and really funny.

Thing is KISS don't need to do anything to make a living, whereas Sloan most definitely do need to work. Awesome that your friend got them to play his birthday party! Did the band hang out after? They're nice guys, and really funny.

Funny thing, a lot of famous people have a high priced lifestyle. They own expensive cars and large houses with large properties. The person who repairs the Porsche and the Bentley needs to get paid. The person who clips the hedges or mows the lawn at the mansion needs to get paid. The point is, they still need to draw an income.

Back in 1999, Kiss got paid $500,000 to perform one song on WCW Monday Nitro. Nice work if you can get it. :wink:

Funny thing, a lot of famous people have a high priced lifestyle. They own expensive cars and large houses with large properties. The person who repairs the Porsche and the Bentley needs to get paid. The person who clips the hedges or mows the lawn at the mansion needs to get paid. The point is, they still need to draw an income.

Back in 1999, Kiss got paid $500,000 to perform one song on WCW Monday Nitro. Nice work if you can get it. :wink:

Yeah, being rich doesn't cut it, you gotta stay rich in order to maintain the lifestyle you're used to. And that means you gotta keep earning.

Though I highly doubt U2 need this, but yeah. They've had a pretty good income ever since the 90s.

To which I say, be a man and mow your own goddamn lawn!

Maintain the lifestyle...please. Nobody should have the lifestyle that the U2s do. It's grotesque. And then Bono and his investor pals tell my government to increase its foreign aid spending while they avoid paying taxes....bah.

You ever tried to mow a lawn in a pair of these?

dragon-boots1.jpg

Maintain the lifestyle...please. Nobody should have the lifestyle that the U2s do. It's grotesque. And then Bono and his investor pals tell my government to increase its foreign aid spending while they avoid paying taxes....bah.

:lol::lol::lol:

So, you're gonna begrudge someone an extravagant lifestyle? Please.

Plus, there's nothing wrong with having someone else mow their lawn. You're providing income for someone else.

:lol::lol::lol:

So, you're gonna begrudge someone an extravagant lifestyle? Please.

Plus, there's nothing wrong with having someone else mow their lawn. You're providing income for someone else.

The disparity in wealth is grotesque, so yes: I will begrudge people who live lifestyles like the super rich do when so many in society are suffering. The mega-rich are parasites. At least U2 are artists and not corporate raiders or bank CEOs who get richer every time they lay off 500 people.

And while the lawn mowing crack was tongue in cheek, people really ought to shovel their driveways and mow their own lawns. It's about self sufficiency and pride, and not living like a helpless child.

Back
Top Bottom