Fuck you.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. V

Refugee
That's my message to you if you don't like 'positive' U2. Me and my mate were having a heart to heart earlier about how cynical people with agendas can drag your life down. We were on a U2 kick, and we were listening to songs like Yahweh, Walk On and Grace, which get a bad wrap around these parts. But you know what - they were perfect. To very loosely paraphrase Morrissey, it's easy to be a cynical bastard, and it's tough to be kind in this world. And you know what, tonight, the kind, optimistic, even religiously minded U2 spoke to me. Yes, I was and still am drunk, but you know what, get fucked. And the cynics - you, too, can get fucked. There is room in this life to be positive, and U2 know all about it.

Whatever.

Well this post isn't very positive or optimistic ....

but there is a time and a place for all songs. Walk on does make me feel better at times when Im feeling sad, so yes, I understand. I think the debate on here is that U2 has too many positive songs and not enough songs questioning the meaning of life/ love/ etc... It is not that people dont like the positive songs, it is that people sometimes want deeper and darker lyrics sprinkled in with bits of sunshine.

Walk On, Yahweh, and Grace?
hahaha, those are 3 totally different songs.

Walk On is AMAZING
Yahweh is Ok
Grace is terrible

Trip Through Your Wires is another one that gets bagged on, and it's just plain fun to sing.

I agree V, fuck 'em.

That's my message to you if you don't like 'positive' U2. Me and my mate were having a heart to heart earlier about how cynical people with agendas can drag your life down. We were on a U2 kick, and we were listening to songs like Yahweh, Walk On and Grace, which get a bad wrap around these parts. But you know what - they were perfect. To very loosely paraphrase Morrissey, it's easy to be a cynical bastard, and it's tough to be kind in this world. And you know what, tonight, the kind, optimistic, even religiously minded U2 spoke to me. Yes, I was and still am drunk, but you know what, get fucked. And the cynics - you, too, can get fucked. There is room in this life to be positive, and U2 know all about it.

Whatever.

You shouldn't be allowed on the internet.

Grace rules!
Walk On is mediocre.
Bono and the gang deserve a lengthy purgatory sentence for the unholy disgraceful Yahweh.

Agree with the OP. All three of the songs he listed are great and so are the other "happy" songs, like Beautiful Day, Wild Honey, and Crazy.

Surprisingly, out of the three the OP listed, I think I like Grace the most! I really appreciate the beauty in that song...course, what I call beautiful others can call boring.

Whatever.

:applaud:

BTW, I :heart: Yahweh, Walk On and Grace

:)

Whatever.

I think a lot of people like "positive" music. I know. I do. Music helps to calm the soul and lighten the heart. When, I have a bad day. I will play, several favorite U2 songs. It helps to make my day a little bit better.

I like positive music too, but what do we mean by positive?

To me with the dance influences and whatnot, U2's music in the mid 90's was the most positive and life affirming they have ever put out.

I don't really look to U2 for happy clappy positive music in the 'narrower' sense, that's to be found in Soul II Soul, Inner City, Urban Cookie Collective, etc, to me anyway. Listen to Soul II Soul's 'Back to Life', 'Keep on Movin' or 'Jazzie's Groove' - they knock the socks of the three U2 songs mentioned.

My point being, I don't actually think U2 did so-called positive music particularly well in the early 00's. I think they did it much better in the 1990's, without actually trying to. If you try to write a positive, upbeat, chart-friendly song, if you're U2, you'll probably fail.

But, yeah, each to their own.

Whatever.

Rock on with your drunk self. That was an awesome post! :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom