From the Sky Down, Davis Guggenheim's Achtung Baby documentary to premiere at TIFF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lol:

To be honest I read about it on a different site earlier, but took the first link I found just now for this thread.

U2 Documentary to Open Toronto International Film Fest

I had completely forgotten about this movie in the works. I was jumping for joy when I saw it on the news earlier today. I can't wait to see it, it's supposed to be a good movie that the band and film crew had put a lot into. As a bonus, the director is one of my favourites, Davis Guggenheim, who directed 'An Inconvenient Truth' as well as 'It Might Get Loud' (which The Edge was featured in. The movie is about the last 20 years or so, Achtung Baby to Present, which we haven't seen in a movie yet. Rattle and Hum and the Joshua Tree were kind of already done in movies. Apparently there is a lot of stuff we haven't seen put into this movie. I have high hopes for it and I can't wait to see it!

U2 documentary to open TIFF | Movies | Entertainment | Toronto Sun

I have a question. Will the fantastic four head to TIFF for the premiere? :hyper:

This sounds bigger and more personal than anything theyve come to the TIFF for in times past, unless Im forgetting something...I cant see them not being here for this. They'll be here, put money on it.

From The Sky Down and Achtung 360 set

I often say there is a smart reason behind what U2 does and this is no exception.

Many were complaining "....duh why so much Achtung songs on the current leg of the tour..?" Give me a break!! :doh:

No doubt that by playing so many Achtung on the current leg they were giving a toast to the album that pretty much put them back on top and kept them there AS WELL to raise anticipation for From The Sky Down.

Just a coincidence that its 20 yrs since their biggest album as well as the documentary coming out? U2 and the monster corporation that is U2 clearly have a head on their shoulders.

They are the biggest band in the world and I am so hyped about this movie!

The German Rolling Stone magazine is having a Berlin and U2/Achtung Baby special in its new issue, out tomorrow.

August 2011 - Rolling Stone

So now it's really starting. The current leg of the tour was mostly promotion for the new remasters. I hope they will include the movie, but I'd be even more thrilled if it will be released to international cinema.

I'm excited about the AB and Zooropa remaster, though I'm not a big fan of the Zooropa album (not even the song, though I think the first half of it kicks ass live before it becomes a little messy). I hope they include some really special stuff, not half-assed things that most people have seen or heard already like they did with most of the other remastered editions released in recent years.

Still I'd rather have a new U2 album. The AB remaster seems like a good excuse for them not to release anything new this year, together with the usual excuses such as Spiderman and the tour, but wouldn't it be totally cool if they released the remaster and a new album?

One can dream, I know, but I guess the AB/Zooropa stuff is better than no release at all this year.

So the film is about AB--> onwards? That would make it even cooler, I thought it was just going to be about AB.

So the film is about AB--> onwards? That would make it even cooler, I thought it was just going to be about AB.

From what I hear its about the sessions in Hansa and the entire story behind the recording of Achtung.

What many fail to realize is that it was this album that truly was where the band was at a cross-roads - with each other, personallym, etc and was so very closing to shutting everything down and calling it quits.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Yeah, I'd say many typical music fans don't know that, but I think most of us do. Still it'll be cool to get an insider view of the whole thing, and from a sure-handed director like Guggenheim.

I'd love to see this and if it doesn't come out to theaters then I hope it's on the remaster, which I think is likely. And yeah I think Bono said that Achtung Baby was the reason they were still here. How important that album was and is to U2 and how important a song like One was and is. Had it not been for One I'm sure the band would've split.

really excited for this movie! love in depth documentaries about bands and focusing on specific points in their career but this is sure to be a great film, seeing the mini Zoo TV batch at the start of a U2 gig has only made me more excited for all the stuff that's coming later this year. as far as i'm concerned, the new album (if it even exists...:wink:) can take as long as it likes with all this Achtung Baby/Zooropa reissuing coming up.

this doco does sound exciting, especially considering it covers the most important transition in U2's career. Let's hope it touches on the Rattle & Hum Tour, and we get some footage of that along with the 'Dream It All Up Again' speech, and what led to that moment.

I have no clue how these big film festivals work:

-would the band have press conference and red carpet time only? Or will they do some fan meet and greets? (I'm contemplating crossing a border and driving 8 hours to be there)

-how possible is it to get a ticket to the screening of the U2 doc, and what is it estimated to cost (being the festival opener and all)?

I'm hoping this will be like the Letterman coup. I wasn't there, but fans said it was a meet'n'greet bonanza with the boys then :heart:

It's about time someone made an awesome documentary about the AB era, and it looks like it will be an actual movie-length, theater-worthy documentary, which is even better!

:hyper: :combust:

I think Davis is a great fit for filming this doc. He did a fantastic job with It Might Get Loud and he has worked with Edge before and seems to be a bit into U2. I am just dying to see this film now after thinking about how it could be. All the stories the band might be telling, any potentially unseen footage from the ZooTV days, if there is any footage of the band in the studio then that would be really cool to see.

I have no clue how these big film festivals work:

-would the band have press conference and red carpet time only? Or will they do some fan meet and greets? (I'm contemplating crossing a border and driving 8 hours to be there)

-how possible is it to get a ticket to the screening of the U2 doc, and what is it estimated to cost (being the festival opener and all)?

I'm hoping this will be like the Letterman coup. I wasn't there, but fans said it was a meet'n'greet bonanza with the boys then :heart:

Getting tickets to a screening isn't hard, but it might be for the premiere, watch TIFF's site for details. As for information about what the band will be doing, your guess is as good as anyone's right now.

^Thanks powerhour! That makes sense. Getting INTO the actual premiere the band will be at is impossible. You need to be an invited guest in a $10,000 gown (I'm thinking of the U23D premiere here)

I'm sure the boys will make an appearance, if not it'll be kinda like Robert Redford not attending his own festival. You're right: I'll wait for more news closer the date to see how much of an appearance we can expect before I pack my bags for Toronto. Come to think of it, I haven't heard of many fan encounters at the Cannes film fest, Oscars ceremony or U23D premiere.

I think they'd be willing to spend Sept 8 in Toronto though, as they would have a good month of vaca by then (whole of August off)

If you're a film fan the slate for this yer's festival is top notch so it'd be worth the trip anyway.

They usually do have press conferences, and no, you would not have access to them. However, after every gala premiere (and this would be one), the filmmaker and actors (in this case likely at least Bono I believe has been confirmed) get on stage after the screening and talk a bit and answer a few questions. No more than 15-20 mins.

You can also see them on the red carpet as they arrive to the theatre, since they do the usual Q&A there.

It's going to be very difficult to get tickets to the gala screening. There will be multiple screenings but the gala is the only one that would be attended by members of the band. If memory serves me correctly, last year gala screenings were in the $45 range. That is if you bought individual tickets rather than a festival pass for x movies. Other screenings were around $20.

^Thanks powerhour! That makes sense. Getting INTO the actual premiere the band will be at is impossible. You need to be an invited guest in a $10,000 gown (I'm thinking of the U23D premiere here)

That's definitely not true. I've gone to more than one of these in jeans - frankly I don't remember anyone in a gown.

The premiere will make it hard to get tix but I'd expect that even if you don't get them online through TIFF you could probably get them off scalpers at a fairly reasonable price.

There are a few exceptions where there is an across the board black tie/gala type deal, and with those, often with the film screening only part of a larger dinner/party event, but most film premieres are not even remotely glamorous. A tiny % of people will get all dressed up because they will be (or think they will be, or desperately hope they will be) photographed or filmed or whatever, but 95% of the audience will just be dressed to see a movie.

Will the movie be in 3D?It seems to be the trend in movieworld?
Achtung baby in 3D, how cool is that going to be then?

On one hand a music video or two from Achtung would be cool in 3D - maybe The Fly and EBTTRT.

But other than that, personally I would want to have the docu in more of the same light as It Might Get Loud - stripped down and personal.

Back
Top Bottom