From the Sky Down, Davis Guggenheim's Achtung Baby documentary to premiere at TIFF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hehe, I was expecting that the stand-alone DVD would have extras that the version on the Super Deluxe edition won't have. I guess the one and only performance of So Cruel available in any kind of official form is not good enough for an 130$ Achtung Baby re-release.

djerdap said:
Hehe, I was expecting that the stand-alone DVD would have extras that the version on the Super Deluxe edition won't have. I guess the one and only performance of So Cruel available in any kind of official form is not good enough for an 130$ Achtung Baby re-release.

Not even good enough for an 400$ AB re-release...

Well, I'm relieved to see that there are supposed to be some extras along with (yes? do we know for sure yet?) the actual, full documentary.

I defend this band a lot against the complaints that they're greedy or whatnot, but this DVD business has me joining the other camp.

Fine, have it as a separate release for those who couldn't afford or didn't want to shell out for a box set. But to have it be a different version is really maddening.

I am mollified a bit that there will be extras. But god, this band (...er, organization .... er .... band, I guess ... ) is so frustrating to love sometimes.

I just saw an ad on this site. My god, Kings of Leon are having a docu about them, playing at the Tribeca film fest? That takes away the 'sacredness' of a band docu. Shouldn't a band attain some sort of legend status before they get a docu made about them?

Then again, Justin Beeber got a docu about him, so... never mind.

I'd say he got a 3D concert film to appease screaming tween girls, so that's really something very different. ;)

I'm not a huge KoL fan, but I've heard really good things about the doc, and would like to see it.

I'm surprised the separate DVD is being released so soon! I thought it wouldn't be out until at least sometime in 2012. Oh well, it'll make a good Christmas present, especially since I'm not planning to get any AB box sets in the near future.

finally caught this online, and found it really really moving actually :heart:

Finally watched this last night. I already had respect for Achtung and the immense change that it required for the band, but I had no idea things were so... bleak. This makes my admiration for the 'event' that was Achtung Baby go all the way up to 11.

:up:

That takes away the 'sacredness' of a band docu. Shouldn't a band attain some sort of legend status before they get a docu made about them?

Good point but that is long gone. Music docs are all the rage now. Mudhoney, Bieber, Pearl Jam, The Who. The list is endless.

Thinking about it, Rattle & Hum might be seen as bold and visionary 25 years after. They did get slammed at the time remember.

Btw, Guggenhiem mentioned his favourite music doc was New York Doll. It is probably mine too.

Back
Top Bottom