From the Sky Down, Davis Guggenheim's Achtung Baby documentary to premiere at TIFF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They heard almost all AB tracks being played. So it'll probably be some sort of evolution or so on the tracks, how they sounded back then, how they sound now.

They heard almost all AB tracks being played. So it'll probably be some sort of evolution or so on the tracks, how they sounded back then, how they sound now.

The most important question now is...did they play Acrobat? :ohmy:

:lol: Haven't heard any reports on that, nor did the internet implode, so sorry.

BUT Bono did sing some lines of SO CRUEL to fans outside Hansa!

They usually do have press conferences, and no, you would not have access to them. However, after every gala premiere (and this would be one), the filmmaker and actors (in this case likely at least Bono I believe has been confirmed) get on stage after the screening and talk a bit and answer a few questions. No more than 15-20 mins.

You can also see them on the red carpet as they arrive to the theatre, since they do the usual Q&A there.

It's going to be very difficult to get tickets to the gala screening. There will be multiple screenings but the gala is the only one that would be attended by members of the band. If memory serves me correctly, last year gala screenings were in the $45 range. That is if you bought individual tickets rather than a festival pass for x movies. Other screenings were around $20.

There are a few exceptions where there is an across the board black tie/gala type deal, and with those, often with the film screening only part of a larger dinner/party event, but most film premieres are not even remotely glamorous. A tiny % of people will get all dressed up because they will be (or think they will be, or desperately hope they will be) photographed or filmed or whatever, but 95% of the audience will just be dressed to see a movie.

Thanks very much, fellows. I was really hoping that the band would do a fan meet and greet before of after the event, but now I realize it's unlikely. Too much commotion from the press and all that on the red carpet, so I guess they'll likely be wisked to and from the event in their limos.

Wow, I just keep waiting for a more intimate meet-and-greet setting (intimate compared to an entire stadium wanting to meet them before a 360 show). I heard the Letterman week and the Winnipeg filming of this very AB docu were two such cases; many fan meet-and-greets!

It's a documentary, not a movie. So no 3D. That would be far too hard for the eyes and cause major headaches.

That's, IMO, not a really valid argument. There are documentaries that are, at least in parts, filmed in 3D. Wim Wenders recently did one. National Geographics is doing all sorts of 3D documentaries für IMAX.

I guess it depends on how the documentary is made, if it's more movie-like or more like a report with interviews and stuff.

The director made It Might Get Loud. I highly doubt he'll change styles suddenly for this documentary. I'd rather assume it will be similar. In that kind of setting, I don't see how 3D would work.

That's, IMO, not a really valid argument. There are documentaries that are, at least in parts, filmed in 3D. Wim Wenders recently did one. National Geographics is doing all sorts of 3D documentaries für IMAX.

I guess it depends on how the documentary is made, if it's more movie-like or more like a report with interviews and stuff.

Wim Wenders' most recent documentary is about an experimental dance troupe. Werner Herzog's doc from this year is about cave paintings in France. So you're talking about 3D being used to accentuate a certain kind of movement, or to showcase an interior space and give it more depth.

There is NO reason that a documentary about U2 needs to be or would be in 3D. For what? A breathtaking look inside Hansa Ton studios?

The director made It Might Get Loud. I highly doubt he'll change styles suddenly for this documentary. I'd rather assume it will be similar. In that kind of setting, I don't see how 3D would work.

Wim Wenders' most recent documentary is about an experimental dance troupe. Werner Herzog's doc from this year is about cave paintings in France. So you're talking about 3D being used to accentuate a certain kind of movement, or to showcase an interior space and give it more depth.

There is NO reason that a documentary about U2 needs to be or would be in 3D. For what? A breathtaking look inside Hansa Ton studios?

I agree with you about Guggenheim certainly NOT making a 3D documentary. There's no reason for that.

I was just referring to the assumption that a movie cannot be filmed in 3D because it's a documentary.

There are many documentaries in 3D out there. But there's really IMO no need to make a 3D documentary about U2.

Btw, the Wim Wenders film about dancer Pina Bausch is excellent. I've heard a 2 hour long radio interview on one of our radio stations with Wim in spring and he talked a lot about making that movie, their friendship and her tragic death, and how it kept interrupting the movie project because he didn't want to go on with it. He also talked about U2. Strange guy, but I love Wim. :up:

I attended TIFF for the opening of It Might Get Loud. I took pictures and have a thread on here about being in attendance and I took a bunch of pictures of the Question and Answer period. My wife waited in line for tickets and got them.

Funny thing is, each year, we usually choose a movie each to go see. Mine are somewhat U2 related.

One year it was It Might Get Loud.
Another year it was - Here is What Is by Daniel Lanios
Anther year it was - Across the Universe

My memory is getting foggy now.....

Anyway, I'm positive they will be in Toronto for this one.

Apparently the DVD release of this will be included in one of the Achtung re-release in the fall.

I hope it is also available as a stand-alone DVD or Blu-Ray.

Gee, I never actually expected that. At all.

:wink: Yeah, I love being right.

ShiftyEyes.gif

It made no sense for the documentary to not be included in the box sets. That said, I'd also wager it will eventually be sold separately.

That was exactly the point I had. Yet some people cared enough to argue that it might not actually be included in the remaster. For reasons I still do not understand.

By 'they', I'm sure you mean the post-production crew? The band is on vacation, damnit:lol:

I just had a not-so-apocalyptic premonition that on the red carpet at TIFF, for formalities sake (a la the Cannes Film Fest), they will play an AB set consisting of (or only being):

-The Fly
-One

because

-they just played these 2 songs a month ago on 360, so they won't need that much practice
-Bono has an excuse to wear a guitar
-they're widely known hits from AB
-the significance of One to the band's history in the AB period, which I'm sure the film will address

My money is on Bono and Edge showing up at the premiere in Toronto, and nothing gets played.

Waah :sad:! Only Bono and Edge? I need to wait on more info about the band being there before I actually pull out my passport on September 8 :D

$1000 says the documentary includes Bono telling the Berlin stories about getting caught in his birthday suit in the place he rented, and the band getting caught in a pro-communism rally.

$1000 says the documentary includes Bono telling the Berlin stories about getting caught in his birthday suit in the place he rented, and the band getting caught in a pro-communism rally.

There better be video material on that. :wink:

Though, he wasn't entirely naked. He was still wearing a t-shirt. What man wears just a t-shirt to bed? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom