Favourite U2 pop song attempt ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Out of the most pure pop songs they wrote in the last few years -

Sweetest thing '98 version, Wild honey, Original of the species, Window in the skies or Crazy tonight -

which is your favourite ?

I say attempt because they didn't start out as a pop band, or rather, they don't write pop music in the traditional pop Lennon/McCartney sense.

out of the songs you mentioned above, i would say Original Of The Species. i've always had special feelings for that song.

yes, i'm talking about my "feelings".

I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight.

I love this song. Then again, I listened to WITS consecutively for over 1000 times... nah, CT wins for the awesome bassline.

I don't hear 'Wild Honey' or 'Original of the Species' as being particularly "pop". Also, is 'Sweetest Thing' (1998) hugely different from the original? I didn't really hear that big a difference...

Anyway, I'll plug for 'Sweetest Thing' and 'Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of' as the purest, best, "pop"-like songs.

'Window in the Skies' is quite good, but a bit too slick and with some regrettable lyrics (also some good ones, like "love has left a window in the skies" -- I dig the metaphor, but some of the rhymes in the outro are cringeworthy). "I'll Go Crazy blah, blah, blah" is the probably the single worst U2 song I've ever heard.

:angry: I love I'll go crazy!
I don't really like Wild Honey, though, too much happy happy joy joy for me. But I must say, it's a song which easily gets stuck in your head. I still play it/ don't skip it when I'm in the mood.

Original of the Spiecies is awesome! :drool: A really Beatlesque kind of song.

I always hear 'Wild Honey' as sort of sad, not happy. I mean, he sings "I'm still standing where you left me / Are you still growing wild with everything tame around you?" It's like he's singing about somebody who's long gone from his life but who left him with an inspiration that he's carried forever. Nice maybe, but not exactly happy happy, joy, joy.

Two of the best pop songs the band has ever written appear on Achtung Baby - Mysterious Ways, EBTTRT.

But Beautiful Day is probably the best pop song the band has ever written.

Definitions of "pop" are very subjective. For instance, I'd consider WOWY miles more poppy than Real Thing, but most people wouldn't.

Original of the Species seems too deep to be called a mere pop song, too elegant.

To me, its a U2 classic as good as stay or WOWY.

As for "pop" songs, I like them all in different ways, but Sweetest thing and Crazy tonight are the stand outs for me.

Sweetest Thing (The Single Mix)
Pure pop
Brillant

I would say Crazy Tonight, but I really don't think that one is really pop.

Axver is terrible.:sexywink:
The OOTS album version can never be beaten by a live performance imo; It's perfect.
I think I've listened to it for a milion times. That song turned me into a U2 addict. I love it.:love: (And made me fail my math class that year because I was too busy listening to U2 at that time during class instead of paying attention to what the teacher was saying)

Crazy tonight is pretty awesome aswell!

I know a couple people have mentioned it already, but I think the definitive U2 pop song is Beautiful Day, hands down, no question about it. It's upbeat and feel-good. Also one of the only U2 songs to really throttle the mainstream and reach into audiences they could never capture before (i.e. teenagers) . . . isn't that what a pop song is?

Erm, otherwise I'd like to nominate Wild Honey? lol.

OOTS is one of my all time favourite U2 songs. I don't care if it's Pop, Rock or whatever. Same for Beautiful Day. Just because it's a commercial success, it doesn't mean it's pop. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind. I grew up loving pop music and see nothing wrong about it. U2 can do it all :up:

Back
Top Bottom