Favourite U2 dvds, official or otherwise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VintagePunk

Blue Crack Distributor
So what are some of your favourite DVDs? Me, I've come to really appreciate some of the famous bootlegs. I watch the U2 Stockholm Zoo TV dvd a lot more than I watch the official Zoo Sydney one, I watch Popmart Buenos Aires more than Mexico City. I also love U2 Dortmund show from 21-11-84, and the Paris show that's included in the JT remaster deluxe set. What are some of yours? What else should I be looking for?

U2 Stockholm is amazing. That show was better than Sydney. If they'll ever decide to release it, I will definitely buy it because the quality of my bootleg is not that great.

Red Rocks is my favourite dvd followed by Rattle&Hum. Popmart Santiago is a great bootleg too.

Only a Lovetown dvd could top this. 26-12-1989 = :drool:

Zoo TV Sydney, Stockholm, and Washington (I've started really liking that show recently, especially for the epic encore and the great SBS) and PopMart Santiago and Mexico City. Red Rocks has a lot of magic to it, but I'm not that of a fan of the early 80s material, so I don't watch it very often. Go Home is similar. R&H is filmed really well, and I like some of the live performances (especially SBS and WOWY), but I really don't like the album or the non-live stuff on the DVD, and some of the performances are mediocre (why did they ever open the album and the film with Helter Skelter?). Vertigo Chicago is a bit of a joke except for Zoo Station, The Fly, and The Electric Co. Elevation Boston is a train wreck, with mediocre performances all around of an awesome setlist (Gone is the exception) largely due to Bono's voice being absolutely awful. Vertigo Milano would be great, and is filmed really well, except for the fact that they only released a mediocre song selection from the show (I love Miss Sarajevo and OOTS from the show, though).

Zoo TV Washington is an awesome show too. Really great performances of The Fly, EBTTRT, MW, Bad, SBS, Ultraviolet, WOWY, LIB. Unfortunately they butchered NYD, but it's funny to watch.

Zoo TV Washington is an awesome show too. Really great performances of The Fly, EBTTRT, MW, Bad, SBS, Ultraviolet, WOWY, LIB. Unfortunately they butchered NYD, but it's funny to watch.

They didn't really butcher it like PopMart Las Vegas Discothèque or SATS...

I'd go along with everything written here. I think I prefer the bootleg DVD's to the official releases. Washington 92 is outstanding and features the band firing on all cylinders, unlike the Sydney film whiich quite clear captures the guy's at the end of a long tour.

Santiago 98 is my favourite Popmart show, far, far better than Mexico IMO. Bono's voice is in much better shape and the renditions of Mofo, Last Night, Bad and Please are just extraordinary.

Yeah, Boston and Chicago are a little lacklustre. Part of the problem is that they feel like just another stop on the tour, there's no real sense of event about them.

If I want to watch a great Vertigo show I go for the Sao Paulo concert; huge audience, terrific visuals and a sterling performance from the band.

Rattle and Hum remains my favourite official film 20 years after it was first released.

The problem with the aforementioned Zootv shows:

No Lemon.

My favourite U2 DVD is Milan 2005, because I was there, and I can see myself jumping along during I Will Follow and Elevation. So purely for personal reasons.
Man, I really want the full concert.

ZooTv Stockholm, 360 Amsterdam <3

And for official, hm, I like U23d most but it's not a dvd.. vertigo milan it is then.

Sydney '93 is the ultimate for me: Lemon and Mr Macphisto make all the difference! I agree Stockholm is great too. I'd say Chicago 05 is the weakest DVD. I considered the performances very insipid, Zoo Station especially.

I got the Red Rocks video for Xmas in 1984 and it always remains special, especially now we have the full concert on DVD.

The Zoomerang Live from Sydney 1993 and the Lowenstein directed 1989 Lovetown footage are also special because I was there for those concerts.

The problem with the aforementioned Zootv shows:

No Lemon.

Exactly. The amazing performance of Lemon (well, the entire MacP encore) is the reason why I end up putting Sydney above Stockholm and Washington. Much as I love Ultraviolet...

Red Rocks is my favorite :heart: Closely followed by Rattle and Hum.

As for bootlegs, the Syracuse and LA JT shows are amazing. I wish I could get them onto an actual DVD.

Back
Top Bottom