Favorite U2 Concert? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 02:17 PM
Favorite U2 Concert?

Facebook told me today is the two-year anniversary of Boston 1 from Innocence, probably my favorite of the approximately 20 U2 shows I've seen. Bad, Shine Like Stars, impromptu 40. BostonStrong on the screen when they remembered the Marathon bombing victims. I grew up in the Boston area and this was such an amazing moment for everyone, but especially us natives!

I was in GA due to a ticket drop that happened the morning before, when I just happened to check. Made friends in line and ended up second row e-stage without waiting too long (behind daygloeyes!)

I was in town for a meeting of survivors of postpartum mental illness, which I had so severely that I was hospitalized for two weeks in 2013. U2's music helped me so much during that awful time. Everything came together in such an emotional and unexpected way.

What is everyone else's favorite? And why? (Not to sound like an essay question)

FazeCraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:23 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 AM
My 21st Birthday eve, 10/15/2001.

Probably the worst set list of any U2 show, but the best atmosphere. Post 9/11.

mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 07:47 PM
Cologne night 2 from Innocence. 27 song set list with surprise Party Girl.

I did 5 shows that tour and this was the only one I managed to get Bad and 40 at. I'll never forget everyone around me freaking out when the intro to Bad started up as it was a bit of a surprise to have them play it for the end of a 2 night stand.
kps88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 10:17 AM
July 20, 2011

U2 360 Tour - got to hear my fav song The Fly for the first time, plus Zooropa, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, and a rare closing performance of Out of Control.

As we were leaving the stadium, my friend noticed it had passed midnight and wished me a happy birthday. Pretty great way to celebrate!
Joey788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Since I lost my Mom last month I would say going to see the Pop Mart tour with her. We had nosebleed seats in a stadium and a U2 crew member approached us and upgraded our seats to field seats close to the stage. They used to do that back then.

We couldn't believe our luck. And just the memory of my Mom going to see U2 with me a few times is very special. Pop Mart probably freaked her out a bit , but she never said one negative word. She liked U2 and their music very much. She was Irish too
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #6
45:33

Local Time: 12:17 AM
November 18, 2006. Was and remains the best night of my life.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:50 AM   #7
The Fly

I won 2 free (!) tickets from Chegg to see U2 perform in Madison Square Garden for one of their shows in the I+E tour. So I left from my college in DC overnight to get into NY and wait in line. It would be my second ever concert, and my first ever on the floor in GA. My girlfriend and I managed to snag a spot right on the rail, and I got to see my favorite band perform just feet away from me.

I have been fortunate to see them two additional times with my girlfriend, but I'm not sure anything could beat the free front row tickets that we had then!
Eamon696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:52 AM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
November 18, 2006. Was and remains the best night of my life.
November 10, 2006 for me November 13 was good too - field was less full - but the constant will she/won't she about Kylie appearing kind of dragged on a bit.

Zoomerang in Brissy was good too - Allan Border telling MacPhisto his name sounds like a hamburger...

Worst was 360 night 3 in Brissy - half empty stadium, flat vibe. Night 1 was great. Popmart was a bit meh up here too.
thatsnotmypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsnotmypuppy View Post
Zoomerang in Brissy was good too - Allan Border telling MacPhisto his name sounds like a hamburger...

Worst was 360 night 3 in Brissy - half empty stadium, flat vibe. Night 1 was great. Popmart was a bit meh up here too.
oh my god WHAT explain everything you remember about this Allan Border moment

Not quite sure which show you're referring to in Brisbane... there were two 360 shows, I went to night one, which is comfortable the worst U2 show I've seen. Pride & North Star instead of Bad & Mercy. Yuck.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Centre Stage: MacPhisto transcripts

Quote:
Saturday 20th November 1993
Brisbane, Australia
ANZ Stadium

From U2 Live by Pimm Jal de la Parra:
"Did you know I used to baby-sit the Queen of England? We're related," says MacPhisto. He claims that the British are responsible for cricket, Australia's most popular sport, and phones Allan Border, the long-serving captain of the Australian XI. Having asked who's calling, Border responds, "MacPhisto? Sounds like a hamburger!"
@U2 forum user 'turtle' reports that "The whole crowd started chanting Border! *clap, clap, clap* Border!"

The following partial description of the phone call was shared on the WIRE mailing list by U2 fan Sanjay Bhatia a couple of weeks after the show:

MacPhisto suggests that he call a friend of his who's pretty good at cricket.. and proceeds to call Allan Border, long-time captain of Australian cricket team, beloved by all.
Again, Border at least *slightly* surprised, but on the other hand, he answered on the third ring.
MacP: Some friends and I were just chatting and the subject of cricket came up.. it was the English who invented cricket, wasn't it?
Border: Yeah, the poms invented the game, but it's come a bit of a cropper since then.
Border: Who's this speaking?
MacP: This is Mr MacPhisto
Border: MacPhisto.. sounds like a Hamburger
Border: Are you in a bar somewhere..
MacP: Yes, a big one..
Border: Sounds pretty raucous
MacP: Yes, it is a loud mother.. (Launch Lemon Intro..)
(Thanks and goodbye)

Reddit user 'Cricketninja' reports that the whole crowd sang 'I Just Called To Say I Love You' to Border.
kabigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:17 AM
April 20, 2001 - Best show I've ever seen, any artist

March 5, 1985 - First U2 show I ever saw

Both were great shows for similar, yet different reason.

2001 show was just euphoric...pre-9/11 and yet the atmosphere was ELECTRIC. Willie Williams tour diary from that tour states that Bono said it was the best show they've ever played. They played Kite (first time ever) and Stay (first Zooropa song played in US). It was literally off the hook! Girl dancing during Mysterious Ways was the icing on the cake.

1985 show, they opened with 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and finished with "40". The first encore was Knocking on Heaven's Door which included the first time they brought an audience member up to play Bono's guitar. Once Bono showed the kid the chords he left the stage, then the Edge, Adam, until it was just the kid playing w/Larry. That was my FIRST U2 show!!! Incredible.
Reggie Thee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #12
Refugee

5/15/2018 - First LA show of EI. 26 song show, got the best GA spot I've ever gotten ("armpit" of the e stage on Edge's side 1-2 people from the rail), went with my aunt who had never seen U2 before, and gave me the biggest "goosebump" moment I've ever gotten at a U2 show (SATS with the Charlottesville videos).
superchuk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

The next one.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabigon View Post
Holy fuck!!! This is incredible!!!! I just listened to the Hinch audio. The fucking Steve Vizard reference oh my god.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:02 AM   #15
War Child

Quote:

Not quite sure which show you're referring to in Brisbane... there were two 360 shows, I went to night one, which is comfortable the worst U2 show I've seen. Pride & North Star instead of Bad & Mercy. Yuck.
Sorry - 360 night 2. Typo. Night 1 setlist wise was ordinary - but the crowd was into it.

I vividly recall singing to Allan - he had a good laugh about it. Then after a humid day we got the long threatened rain during With Or Without You. Those Zoomerang shows were so much fun - U2 were having a blast (except Adam possibly) and even Larry cracked a smile.

thatsnotmypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote