Favorite U2 Concert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FazeCraze

War Child
Facebook told me today is the two-year anniversary of Boston 1 from Innocence, probably my favorite of the approximately 20 U2 shows I've seen. Bad, Shine Like Stars, impromptu 40. BostonStrong on the screen when they remembered the Marathon bombing victims. I grew up in the Boston area and this was such an amazing moment for everyone, but especially us natives!

I was in GA due to a ticket drop that happened the morning before, when I just happened to check. Made friends in line and ended up second row e-stage without waiting too long (behind daygloeyes!)

I was in town for a meeting of survivors of postpartum mental illness, which I had so severely that I was hospitalized for two weeks in 2013. U2's music helped me so much during that awful time. [emoji4]Everything came together in such an emotional and unexpected way.

What is everyone else's favorite? And why? (Not to sound like an essay question)

My 21st Birthday eve, 10/15/2001.

Probably the worst set list of any U2 show, but the best atmosphere. Post 9/11.

Cologne night 2 from Innocence. 27 song set list with surprise Party Girl.

I did 5 shows that tour and this was the only one I managed to get Bad and 40 at. I'll never forget everyone around me freaking out when the intro to Bad started up as it was a bit of a surprise to have them play it for the end of a 2 night stand.

July 20, 2011

U2 360 Tour - got to hear my fav song The Fly for the first time, plus Zooropa, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, and a rare closing performance of Out of Control.

As we were leaving the stadium, my friend noticed it had passed midnight and wished me a happy birthday. Pretty great way to celebrate!

Since I lost my Mom last month I would say going to see the Pop Mart tour with her. We had nosebleed seats in a stadium and a U2 crew member approached us and upgraded our seats to field seats close to the stage. They used to do that back then.

We couldn't believe our luck. And just the memory of my Mom going to see U2 with me a few times is very special. Pop Mart probably freaked her out a bit :wink:, but she never said one negative word. She liked U2 and their music very much. She was Irish too

I won 2 free (!) tickets from Chegg to see U2 perform in Madison Square Garden for one of their shows in the I+E tour. So I left from my college in DC overnight to get into NY and wait in line. It would be my second ever concert, and my first ever on the floor in GA. My girlfriend and I managed to snag a spot right on the rail, and I got to see my favorite band perform just feet away from me.

I have been fortunate to see them two additional times with my girlfriend, but I'm not sure anything could beat the free front row tickets that we had then!

November 18, 2006. Was and remains the best night of my life.

November 10, 2006 for me :) November 13 was good too - field was less full - but the constant will she/won't she about Kylie appearing kind of dragged on a bit.

Zoomerang in Brissy was good too - Allan Border telling MacPhisto his name sounds like a hamburger...

Worst was 360 night 3 in Brissy - half empty stadium, flat vibe. Night 1 was great. Popmart was a bit meh up here too.

Zoomerang in Brissy was good too - Allan Border telling MacPhisto his name sounds like a hamburger...

Worst was 360 night 3 in Brissy - half empty stadium, flat vibe. Night 1 was great. Popmart was a bit meh up here too.

oh my god WHAT explain everything you remember about this Allan Border moment

Not quite sure which show you're referring to in Brisbane... there were two 360 shows, I went to night one, which is comfortable the worst U2 show I've seen. Pride & North Star instead of Bad & Mercy. Yuck.

Centre Stage: MacPhisto transcripts

Saturday 20th November 1993
Brisbane, Australia
ANZ Stadium

From U2 Live by Pimm Jal de la Parra:
"Did you know I used to baby-sit the Queen of England? We're related," says MacPhisto. He claims that the British are responsible for cricket, Australia's most popular sport, and phones Allan Border, the long-serving captain of the Australian XI. Having asked who's calling, Border responds, "MacPhisto? Sounds like a hamburger!"
@U2 forum user 'turtle' reports that "The whole crowd started chanting Border! *clap, clap, clap* Border!"

The following partial description of the phone call was shared on the WIRE mailing list by U2 fan Sanjay Bhatia a couple of weeks after the show:

MacPhisto suggests that he call a friend of his who's pretty good at cricket.. and proceeds to call Allan Border, long-time captain of Australian cricket team, beloved by all.
Again, Border at least *slightly* surprised, but on the other hand, he answered on the third ring.
MacP: Some friends and I were just chatting and the subject of cricket came up.. it was the English who invented cricket, wasn't it?
Border: Yeah, the poms invented the game, but it's come a bit of a cropper since then.
Border: Who's this speaking?
MacP: This is Mr MacPhisto
Border: MacPhisto.. sounds like a Hamburger
Border: Are you in a bar somewhere..
MacP: Yes, a big one..
Border: Sounds pretty raucous
MacP: Yes, it is a loud mother.. (Launch Lemon Intro..)
(Thanks and goodbye)

Reddit user 'Cricketninja' reports that the whole crowd sang 'I Just Called To Say I Love You' to Border.

April 20, 2001 - Best show I've ever seen, any artist

March 5, 1985 - First U2 show I ever saw

Both were great shows for similar, yet different reason.

2001 show was just euphoric...pre-9/11 and yet the atmosphere was ELECTRIC. Willie Williams tour diary from that tour states that Bono said it was the best show they've ever played. They played Kite (first time ever) and Stay (first Zooropa song played in US). It was literally off the hook! Girl dancing during Mysterious Ways was the icing on the cake.

1985 show, they opened with 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and finished with "40". The first encore was Knocking on Heaven's Door which included the first time they brought an audience member up to play Bono's guitar. Once Bono showed the kid the chords he left the stage, then the Edge, Adam, until it was just the kid playing w/Larry. That was my FIRST U2 show!!! Incredible.

5/15/2018 - First LA show of EI. 26 song show, got the best GA spot I've ever gotten ("armpit" of the e stage on Edge's side 1-2 people from the rail), went with my aunt who had never seen U2 before, and gave me the biggest "goosebump" moment I've ever gotten at a U2 show (SATS with the Charlottesville videos).

Not quite sure which show you're referring to in Brisbane... there were two 360 shows, I went to night one, which is comfortable the worst U2 show I've seen. Pride & North Star instead of Bad & Mercy. Yuck.

Sorry - 360 night 2. Typo. Night 1 setlist wise was ordinary - but the crowd was into it.

I vividly recall singing to Allan - he had a good laugh about it. Then after a humid day we got the long threatened rain during With Or Without You. Those Zoomerang shows were so much fun - U2 were having a blast (except Adam possibly) and even Larry cracked a smile.

I vividly recall singing to Allan - he had a good laugh about it. Then after a humid day we got the long threatened rain during With Or Without You. Those Zoomerang shows were so much fun - U2 were having a blast (except Adam possibly) and even Larry cracked a smile.

Man I don't think you can even comprehend how jealous this makes me.

Objectively? Either JT 2017 Seattle or 360 Seattle (which was my first U2 show). Great setlists at both shows and the energy was awesome

Emotionally? JT 2017 Detroit, I had been in the hospital for three weeks after my 6th surgery in August and had just gotten out about a week and a half before the show. I went home from the hospital with a PICC line because I wasn't able to eat normally, that got pulled the Wednesday before the show on Sunday. I had been very depressed due to the hospitalization and I had to miss several concerts during my hospital stay (I was eventually put on antidepressants later on in September). I flew out to Detroit from Portland and saw all of my extended family on the trip (who live in Michigan and Ohio). I ended up second row dead center at the main stage with my mom, my aunt, and my cousin. When Bad started I started tearing up and then I fully started crying during Streets. Right as the song was entering the first verse, Bono reached out towards our group and I made eye contact with him as I was balling my eyes out. It was the single most emotional moment I've ever had a U2 show. The rest of the show was great but that one moment will always be my favorite U2 related moment.

July 5, 2011 is the hands down #1. Highlights:

-Excellent version of EBTTRT
-The Fly
-UTEOTW with Edge playing the solo about a foot over my head
-First time getting Out of Control and it was a great version
-Stay
-Zooropa
-HMTMKMKM
-Impromptu performance of One Tree Hill, its first in North America since the 80s

Runner up was LA1 of JT30. Anyone who went to that show can attest to how awesome it was. There were a lot of great Interferencers at that show.

Last edited:
Facebook told me today is the two-year anniversary of Boston 1 from Innocence, probably my favorite of the approximately 20 U2 shows I've seen. Bad, Shine Like Stars, impromptu 40. BostonStrong on the screen when they remembered the Marathon bombing victims. I grew up in the Boston area and this was such an amazing moment for everyone, but especially us natives!

I was in GA due to a ticket drop that happened the morning before, when I just happened to check. Made friends in line and ended up second row e-stage without waiting too long (behind daygloeyes!)

I was in town for a meeting of survivors of postpartum mental illness, which I had so severely that I was hospitalized for two weeks in 2013. U2's music helped me so much during that awful time. [emoji4]Everything came together in such an emotional and unexpected way.

What is everyone else's favorite? And why? (Not to sound like an essay question)

First and foremost, I'm happy you got through your illness and inspired at your helping and empowering others who have gone through the same.

The best one I ever saw, by far! U2 or anyone. Said it at the time and say it now.

Especially energetic performance throughout- Electric co, Raised by wolves, Until the end of the world- but as you mentioned- from the Boston marathon bombing acknowledgement through to the end- was just unreal. I can confidently say I never experienced that before and probably never will again. And I am perfectly fine with that.

I've seen U2 10 times since that night- (4 I&E, 5 JT, 1EI) and all have been great. With this tour being a bit less great, haha! However, I told many fans after Boston 1 that if U2 just hung it up after this show and I never saw them again, I'd be ok with that.

I feel like I experienced 80s level U2 energy and post 9/11 level U2 emotion in a night when the band was completely on fire in a very special city at what was a hopeful turning point in my life.

Anyone I talked to who went to that show- probably a good 40 people- many of them seasoned U2 fans- said that they felt they saw something special.

JT '17 LA 1
-I didn't have a ticket for a 15 hour flight confirmed until 48 hours before the show
-Had not slept for two days when I arrived at LAX about 7am on the day of the show, spent the day exploring LA mostly on foot, so I had a wacky mix of exhaustion and adrenaline happening
-Walking down the race after getting a wristband and feeling such elation and relief that I was here
-Crowd singing along to Black Hole Sun just before The Pogues' intro
-ASOH
-When Streets started and the massive crazy-high resolution screen kicks in
-Exit
-Bad as a surprise sixth song in the encore (it was played the previous two shows, but after ASOH)
-I Will Follow as a very upbeat closer
-First U2 show I'd seen in 6.5 years

I've been thinking about this all weekend, and I cannot even begin to choose a favorite out of the 27 shows I've seen. So many amazing moments and experiences in so many of them.

I'm going to be greedy and nominate 3 shows all for different reasons

1. Barcelona 07.08.05 - I have never seen a more joyous crowd at a stadium show. Not my favourite tour by any means, but my favourite show. Not even sure how good the bands performance was but the crowd was something else and will live long in the memory.

2. Wembley Stadium 13.06.87 - Best setlist of the tour IMO. Before the dawn of the internet, felt like they were making it up as they went along. Great, loose performance by the band,

3. Leeds 28.08.97 - The best I have ever seen the band play, they had anger in their bellies that night. Great show, awful weather!

The Brooklyn Bridge "surprise" concert was pretty great.

Vertigo in the fall at MSG - first time in the heart and got to go backstage after the gig, very much on the list.

But I think the best for me is the 2011 360 show at MetLife (or New Meadowlands Stadium, as it was called at the time). Hot summer night, crazy energy, great set that finally took advantage of the claw. Bonus out of control at the end, and the first time I got to hear Hold Me Thrill Me live.

Terrific.

Like others have said, Boston 1 in 2015 wine for me. Like others have said, I literally texted people and said that if that’s the last U2 show I ever see then I will die a happy man. Totally satisfying.

Love these answers! I need to find bootlegs of these. Are they still called bootlegs?

First and foremost, I'm happy you got through your illness and inspired at your helping and empowering others.

Thank you!! It was ROUGH and I'm certain it nearly killed me. I was only sleeping about 2-3hours each night for weeks due to panic attacks leading to insomnia. As I was getting better, I listened to MLK on a loop, both literally and it just running though my brain. "Sleep, sleep tonight, and may your dreams, be realized. If the thunder cloud passes rain, let it rain, rain down on he [me]." It helped!

(Shout out to the Day Hospital at Women and Infants in Providence, RI! [emoji1316][emoji1316][emoji1316])

Nassau 6/9/18

Was 2nd off the rail at the e-stage. Was insane. Only seen them before at MSG in 2015 and Carnegie Hall in 2015. Those were phenomenal as well but Nassau was just an incredible experience being that close to them. Carnegie I was way up and MSG I was last row behind the I stage. So yeah.

Although I've been lucky to catch some excellent U2 shows even through the last decade, my favorite U2 show still remains April 22nd, 1987, last show of a 5 night stand at the LA Sports Arena during the 1st leg of the Joshua Tree tour.

I saw two shows at the Sports Arena during this week. The 1st show on April 18th was basically a standard if somewhat short set highlighted by the inclusion of Maggie's Farm and the band, especially Bono seemed tired by the last 3rd of the show. Still, it was great enough that I decided to see another night on that stand and scored a great single on the floor through a ticket agency just a day before the last show.

As people were filing to their seats with the house lights still on, Bono came onstage and started singing along to the Lennon version of "Stand By Me" which was playing on the PA with the band coming on and eventually taking over the song themselves while Bono ad-libbed some funny lyrics about how cool it was playing in LA for a week. This turned out to be the first time they pulled this trick, something they would do occasionally throughout the rest of the tour.

After that, Bono says "Let the show begin" and they turned off all the lights and Bono sang "MLK" in complete darkness and crashed into "Pride" with the house lights back on again. The crowd was one of the loudest U2 audiences I've ever heard - complete hysteria most of the show.

They wound up playing a completely rearranged setlist from the standard set that tour and included a great version of Electric Co and ended the main set with Bad. The encore was the first three Joshua Tree songs in order and ended with "40."

That remains as the most memorable U2 show of the 30+ of their shows I've seen since their first show I caught back in '81.

TicketStubsU22.jpg

Vertigo in Cleveland, 2006.

A nice, loud crowd that never let up on their energy. Band sounded great. I couldn't believe they played "Gloria." Bono was really in top form, hitting some demanding vocals on "Sometimes..." and "Miss Sarajevo." They busted out "Until The End Of the World" during the Zoo-TV segment, but Bono and the Edge chased each other on the catwalk in place of the usual bullfight. "40" sounded amazing.

Back
Top Bottom