Favorite Song/Least Favorite Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best: With or Without You
Least: Wake up Dead Man/Miami/Peace on Earth

Best Live: Streets Have No Name

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Last edited:
Best: Ultraviolet

Worst: hard to say. My default is Grace, but there are also songs that are more offensive albeit more interesting (see: Crumbs, ABOY), and songs that are more pointless but also not really songs (see: Drunk Chicken).

A U2 song that's offensive? I didn't think such a thing existed. :|

Not like Blurred Lines offensive, but offensive in the sense of causing anguish to listen to. No U2 songs are that bad, I guess, if we're comparing to, for instance, mid-2000s pop music, but some gotta be more offensive than others!

Indeed, we can construct a two-dimensional system of categorizing the overall badness of U2 songs, where the x-axis is offensiveness and the y-axis is boringness. The overall badness, then, is the distance from a song's coordinates to the origin. I'll arbitrarily set both axes to run from -10 to 10, making the origin (-10, -10):

chart.png

graph.png

:wink:

I really don't get the ''hate'' for If God Will Send His Angels, but maybe that's just me...

I just wasted 30 seconds of my life looking at that graph. :lol:

A song doesn't cause anguish. The listener chooses to be anguished. And if one chooses to do that, they've got fuckin' issues.

I really don't get the ''hate'' for If God Will Send His Angels, but maybe that's just me...
Wouldn't say I hate it, but I don't like the melody, the lyrics or the production. Some mediocre songs are redeemed because they serve a specific function on an album, but not even that seems to be the case.
So, while not a bad song - mostly just bland, it's my least favourite U2 song.
Beating Playboy Mansion, that, except for the "Then there will be ..." passage, suffers from the exact same problems. Though at least lyrically, while inane, that one seems to serve some purpose on the album.

Best: Bad

Least: Boots

These would be my choices as well. But to be fair, between 1984-93 there are so many candidates for "best" it could make your head spin just thinking about it. Between 2000-14, there are so many candidates for "worst" it could make your head spin just thinking about it.

Best (in terms of studio tracks): Where The Streets Have No Name

Worst: I'll Go Crazy Tonight, Whatever-the-F***-it's-called

Six and a half years have passed, and I still cannot believe they actually released that stinking turd of a song. ('Stand up Comedy' and 'Get Off on your Boobs' aren't much better, but at least they're not total embarrassments.) And then they had the gall to release the thing as a single, as if to show the world: "We're U2. And this is our nadir! Hear us suck!"

Back
Top Bottom