Experimental U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowlock

Refugee
If you were to make a mix of 16 to 20 songs that you'd consider some of U2's more experimental stuff, what would it be?

I'm not talking about the songs that are experimental for them but are actually just them taking on a different genre (like Love Rescue Me or The Unforgettable Fire) but songs that are really going in different territories. And it'd have to be from all era's; not just the 90's + NLOTH.

I'm really struggling with a list. What would it be for you?

Boy - Can't think of anything. As great as it is, it blends in with the post punk era
October - same
War - Seconds & Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Unforgettable Fire - Bad
The Joshua Tree - Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, One tree hill (?)
Rattle & Hum - Nothing really
AB - Zoo Station, WGRYWH, So Cruel, The Fly, Acrobat
Zooropa - Zooropa, Numb, DGPFYCC
Passengers - Your Blue Room
Pop - LNOE, Gone, Please
Million Dollar Hotel - TGBHF
ATYCLB - New York
HTDAAB - ? Xanax and Wine, Native Son maybe?
NLOTH - NLOTH, MOS, UC, GOYB, Fez: BB, Winter

Some of these are such longtime staples that they don't sound groundbreaking anymore, Streets, WOWY, Bad, SBS, but there really was nothing that sounded like them previously in the history of rock and roll; at least to me.

Zooropa was full of different sounds, but much of it was early 90's r&b pop based.

Passengers was a lot of different stuff, but a lot of people were doing ambient instrumentals back then.

Pop to me was at best ABII remixed and at worst genre whoring (I DO NOT want to get into another Pop discussion please; well, maybe :lol:)

Beautiful Day, Elevation, Kite had new sounds *in* those songs, but overall we'd heard it before.

Vertigo was maybe the closest to new ground on HTDAAB, but really wasn't anything new. Fast Cars was just a simple pop song with an arabic undertone; nothing new there. SYCMIOYO sounds a little different to me than your average pop ballad, but I still feel like I've heard it before even though I can't place it.

Anyone provide some additions to the list?

All of passengers, most of zooropa, about half of Pop and about half of NLOTH.

and there still is nothing like Achtung Baby out anywhere. I guess mostly modern U2, and just pick the songs you find to be "Experimental."

the word experimental is always thrown out everywhere, but it truly is a matter of opinion.

Assuming you just want the songs to be experimental, if not necessarily good, include any/all of the following:

The Ocean
October
Elvis Presley And America
MLK
Bullet The Blue Sky
Exit
Mothers Of The Disappeared
Beautiful Ghost
God Part II
Zoo Station
Acrobat
Numb
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
The Wanderer
Slug
Always Forever Now
Mofo
Miami
Stateless
Fez - Being Born

"Night & Day"
"Alex Descends Into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1"
"The Fly"
"Zoo Station"
"Lady with the Spinning Head"
"Acrobat"
"Numb"
"Lemon"
"United Colours"
"Slug"
"Beach Sequence"
"One Minute Warning"
"Holy Joe"
"Mofo"
"Fez/Being Born"

I've often thought of making a compilation of the various incarnations of U2's music - I absolutely hate it when I hear/ read about U2 songs "all sounding the same" :doh:

Electric Co.
Tomorrow
New Year's Day
Like a Song
A Sort of Homecoming
Bad
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Desire
Heartland
Even Better Than the Real Thing
The Fly
Lemon
Numb
Zooropa
Miss Sarajevo
Your Blue Room
Mofo
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
One Step Closer
Unknown Caller
Fez-Being Born

Mix the songs up a bit (I love amusing juxtaposition) and let the naysayers have a listen. It's a shame most critics of the band, when they think of U2, immediately come to mind "Beautiful Day!" "Vertigo!" "Pride!" when there's so, so much more to their music than what's offered by radio.

It's a shame most critics of the band, when they think of U2, immediately come to mind "Beautiful Day!" "Vertigo!" "Pride!" when there's so, so much more to their music than what's offered by radio.

That is U2's fault as much as anything. Lead singles, all overplayed live. Over exposure will generally kill the best of songs and make the haters hate even stronger.

That's the nature of Live bands: give the people what they want. But they could take some cues from Dream Theater, who meticulously document every song played and mix up setlists on purpose.

but back to the OP; Experimental U2, mostly successful:

An Cat Dubh, the Ocean
Tomorrow, October
Seconds, Surrender
Wire, TUF, EPAA
WOWY, OTH, MoTD
God.PtII
Zoo Station, Fly, TTTYAATW, LIB
Zooropa, Numb, Lemon, Daddy, Wanderer
Do You Feel Loved, Mofo, Miami
New York
LAPOE, Fast Cars
+
Stateless, HMTMKMKM...

hon. mention for BTBS (despite being Led Zep influenced) Desire (idem. Bo Didley) and One Shot of Happy.

For U2 those songs were experiments, as well as
starting a band
making Boy
going religious
making War
ditching Lillywhite for Eno
making a movie
recording at Sun Studios
moving to Berlin
ZooTV
writing on the road
getting Howie B in
going back to their roots
ditching Eno for Rubin,
moving to Fez

+ learning to sing
+ learning to play the bass
+ learing to operate a handheld camera
+ allowing Bono to drive
etc.

Well, since I think the 90's era was their most "experimental," here are my choices. It makes a nice CD mix by the way:

1. Zooropa
2. Slug
3. Mofo
4. Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
5. Lemon
6. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
7. The Wanderer
8. Beach Sequence
9. Miss Sarajevo
10. Acrobat
11. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
12. So Cruel
13. Always Forever Now
14. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
15. Love Is Blindness

One - classic soul
Beautiful Day - uplifting radio-friendly anthem
Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad - lounge/jazz
Even Better than the real thing - blues/funk
Trip Through Your Wires - country & western
Numb - electronica
Tomorrow - Celtic atmospheric
Stuck In A Moment - pop/motown
Streets - soaring stadium anthem
All Because of You - garage band
Promenade - ambient
Desire - r 'n' b
Pop Musik - electronica
Hallelujah Here She Comes - gospel rock
Mysterious Ways - groove rock
Mofo - dance
When Love Comes to Town - blues
Elvis Presley & America - experimental
Fast Cars - Spanish/flamenco rock
Stand Up Comedy - hard rock
Miami - trip-hop
FEZ-Being Born - African rhythmic
Cedars of Lebanon - spoken word

Just looking at this list bringing home just how many genres U2 have crossed into and tried their hand at.

With so many genres of music and the word "experimental" being thrown around so much, I wouldn't even know where to start. Hell, I don't even know what would define an experimental song....to most people, it would be a song synonymous with being "weird."

In my personal experience with writing music, a lot of times "experimental" songs are flashes of inspiration that come really quickly. For example, my most experimental(weird sounding) songs are 1st takes with a few vocal/guitar overdubs. Very little "experimenting" involved. On the other hand, my most poppy, polished, complete sounding songs usually go through tons of different versions, deliveries, sounds...tons of experimenting involved to "get it right."

The point I'm trying to get at is what makes a song "experimental?"

Back
Top Bottom