Excited by Bono's voice - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 01:26 PM
Excited by Bono's voice

Is anyone else excited to hear Bono's voice on the upcoming album and tour? I know I am. I'm a sceptic by nature but even I think it's back (at least in part) to how it sounded in '93. My one worry is that it'll grow ragged as the tour goes on but on the whole I am very upbeat. He did Pride very well at the inauguration and that crooning quality seems to have come back. Any thoughts?

monsieur fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:26 AM
yes I'm fucking excited! Thanks for this....after that negative bullshit about relevancy, I needed this....that thread started to depress me for some dumb reason... I have no idea....anyway, hell yeah I'm excited....there's a freshness to his voice that I haven't heard since Pop, but now it's muuuch stronger than Pop....so yeah....and everytime I listen to BC4 (magnificent) I imagine how it's going to sound on the album, and sometimes I get shivers just thinking about it....."ooooooooooh oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhooooooo....ONLY LOVE!!!"

Rob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 02:26 PM
Bono has always had a great voice. Personally, I think his voice was best during the The Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum/Zooropa/Pop period - his voice has sounded a bit rusty on the last two albums - but I can see what you mean. It sounds like there's more power in it.
ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I'm very excited! I think his voice sounds very good right now.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I posted this in another thread too...but damn, Bono sounds so fucking epic in this video...listen to "A-me-ricAAAAAA, A-me-ricaAAAA"

This is my favorite voice in the world. It's just simply one of the greatest sounds to ever reach my ears.

Thank you, Bono.
Rob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 04:26 AM
agree with the positive stuff, and whilst that ordinary america song still makes me shudder, I concur that Bono's voice sounded extraordinary . . . so looking forward to hearing the rest of the album and (fingers crossed) all the new songs live
Old 01-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Yeah, I'm also very excited to hear Bono's voice on the new album.
alanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

He sounds pretty good now, but I remain convinced that he'll never get his lower register - the one so prominent on songs like New Year's Day, With Or Without You, All I Want Is You, etc - back. I haven't heard him sing in that lower register in anything U2 has released, studio or live, since I became a fan in 1998.
namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
He sounds pretty good now, but I remain convinced that he'll never get his lower register - the one so prominent on songs like New Year's Day, With Or Without You, All I Want Is You, etc - back. I haven't heard him sing in that lower register in anything U2 has released, studio or live, since I became a fan in 1998.
Ever heard of A Dying Sailor To His Shipmates?
Peterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 01:26 PM
My first thought on hearing GOYB was, "Fuck, Bono sounds 20 years old again!".

Dana
rihannsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 07:26 PM
Yeah he sounds fantastic at the moment. I thought when he performed pride at obama celebration he should've sung it more like the vertigo tour in 2006 rather than his old bad habits but still it was great!

I'd like to hear some fat lady voice again, err I mean his falsetto the way it was used in the 1990's. Not easy I know, but it'd be fun to see him break out in that voice again. Also his falsetto at the end of With or Without you is sounding a little weak compared to the Pop days - maybe something he can work on? Practice makes perfect.
U2opra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
The Fly

Come on people, who are you trying to kid? It's never going to sound like it did in 1993, it's just not possible. The thing you should be hoping for is that he keeps himself in shape. He has been known to let himself go, so the real question about his voice will be whether or not he tires out quickly during the shows. Also, we know they're into pitch correction now (see crumbs from your table live fiasco) so maybe they'll have that ironed out and he'll sound better enhanced.
jecofficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post

This is my favorite voice in the world. It's just simply one of the greatest sounds to ever reach my ears.

Thank you, Bono.

bonocomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:56 AM
His voice really is in nice touch.
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Bono sounds better now than he did at any point since Passengers... actually, I'd say his voice sounds kinda similar to his Passengers voice, except with better range. I'm really impressed (ahem, Peter) by his range nowadays... by far the best it has been since TUF.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Location: in the enchanted forest of dreams and wonderment...or else at my computer.
Local Time: 11:26 AM
His voice does sound absolutely incredible. The thing that has me excited about the upcoming album/tour is that it doesn't seem to be a fluke. Really since the final leg of the Vertigo tour, his voice has been on. Pretty much everything he's done since then has kept me optimistic.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:18 AM   #17
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecofficial View Post
Come on people, who are you trying to kid? It's never going to sound like it did in 1993, it's just not possible. The thing you should be hoping for is that he keeps himself in shape. He has been known to let himself go, so the real question about his voice will be whether or not he tires out quickly during the shows. Also, we know they're into pitch correction now (see crumbs from your table live fiasco) so maybe they'll have that ironed out and he'll sound better enhanced.
what? pitch correction? has this been confirmed?
Tripoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:04 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Bono has a unique voice. Some people hate it and some love it. I think he sounds better right now than he has done in years. One of the great things about him as a singer is that he can sing all kinds of songs and his voice is always fitting. I think we'll hear some great examples for his new and improved voice on the new album, especially in the slower, more epic songs. I would love to hear him sing more in his lower register again, we all know he can do that and has done it several times in recent years. Live I want to hear some opera moments again.

I'll also allow myself a PLEBA moment here and say that I think he also has a very sexy speaking voice.

last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:06 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripoli View Post
what? pitch correction? has this been confirmed?
Just let the haters whine because they don't like the topic of a thread. Bono's voice is a very controversial topic among fans, but if you like it, then you shouldn't let yourself be distracted by what someone says who clearly loves to spoil any even remotedly positive discussion.
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:09 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecofficial View Post
Come on people, who are you trying to kid? It's never going to sound like it did in 1993, it's just not possible.
Yeah, uh, I'd say that's a good thing.

The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote