Ever take a U2 sabatical? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:17 AM
Ever take a U2 sabatical?

I realized a few months ago that I was getting burnt out on U2, and needed a break. I decided to not listen to them until at least the end of summer, so September. I can make it easily, it's not that. I have literally not listened to any U2 songs (unless I hear them in a restaurant or somewhere that I have no control over the music).

With nothing new likely to happen in the near future with U2, seemed like a good idea to take a break. Anybody else ever do this??

The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:17 PM
My obsession waxes and wanes. (Waning right now.)

But I never make a point NOT to listen to them. If a song comes up on shuffle and I feel like listening to it, I will. I still pay some attention to U2-related stuff, but I don't sit down with an album, or put my U2 playlist on shuffle for my commute.

corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
My obsession waxes and wanes. (Waning right now.)

But I never make a point NOT to listen to them. If a song comes up on shuffle and I feel like listening to it, I will. I still pay some attention to U2-related stuff, but I don't sit down with an album, or put my U2 playlist on shuffle for my commute.
Same here, and it doesn't apply to just U2, but with any artist. I'll listen to the artist a lot, then find myself not listening to them much, and the cycle continues over and over again. I've never forcefully NOT listen to an artist that I enjoy. If it plays and I decide, "hey, I wanna listen to this", then I listen to it.

If you like what you're listening to, why stop?
Globo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:17 PM
My last.fm shows evidence of this. They did go from top of the charts on the 3 month charts to completely off the charts and now they're back in 2nd. On the rise again.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globo14 View Post
Same here, and it doesn't apply to just U2, but with any artist. I'll listen to the artist a lot, then find myself not listening to them much, and the cycle continues over and over again. I've never forcefully NOT listen to an artist that I enjoy. If it plays and I decide, "hey, I wanna listen to this", then I listen to it.

If you like what you're listening to, why stop?
Yes this exactly for me. It goes the same for all artists and I do burn myself out on them at times. But like the others have said, I never go out of my way to NOT listen to them. Lately I made a bunch of mixed CDs for my car where I listen to music most (I know it's old fashioned but my ipod is a pain in the car and I don't have music services or anything.) Anyway, my mixes are usually so diverse I'm fine, but I'll still skip songs I'm not in the mood for, including U2.
bonocomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think everyone here is on the same point. That goes for U2 and any other favorite artist for me as well.
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Sure, all the time. I go through intense periods and then my attention goes elsewhere for months or longer. But I always come home again.
Niceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I am right now. I tend to focus on bands that I am going to see live. We desperately need something new.
ryancoke71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I tend to lose interest a little when there's nothing going on, like right now. I also listen to CDs in my car a lot because there's no iPod jack, and most of them lately have not been U2. I'm still paying attention to what they're up to (which isn't much) but I haven't really been listening to them. I'm not concerned about it, because I know that something will trigger my interest and I will suddenly be really into U2 again at some point in the future.
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
45:33

Local Time: 01:17 PM
They'll always be my favourite band, but it's been a very long time since I listened to them often. I'm not sure I've even played a U2 album in full this year. Too much other good music to discover.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
The Male

Just listened to Achtung Baby the other night. I listen to U2 with about as much regularity as other artists, but that's not saying much; I never listen to the same album more than once or twice in a month, because I'm always onto something else.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:47 PM
Don't think I've listened to U2 since they toured here, what's that, a year and a half ago?
blueeyedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
I'm on a bit of a "U2 fast" now myself. Been checking out other bands and buying other records and finding new music to get into until U2 cone back. I figured I needed a break from U2 back in December and bout a couple Interpol records and some other bands and I've just not listened to U2 nearly as much as I used to. In fact I only listen to 1 or two songs every now and then. Just not hungry for their music at the moment. I'm sure I'll be listening to them non stop by the time a new album comes around.
theedgeu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 09:17 PM
the best thing about waning is getting back into them for a few weeks. Ebb and flow. I do this with a ton of bands. Reacquainting one's self with an old friend is an amazing and fun thingy. It's better than finding something new. Cause that what it winds up being with this band. But at the same time.
Von Schloopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #15
The Fly

Up until like last week, I was taking a U2 sabbatical. I was listening to the Beatles and some other stuff. But now since U22 is coming soon, I'm spending a few weeks on U2. Although, I'm really liking the new jack white album so I'm listening to that alot.

TheEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote