Ever take a U2 sabatical?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick66 said:
What are you talking about? I've been into Lotus Plaza since I saw them open for Mott the Hopple back in the day.

Why you gotta ill me?

Andy Kaufman in the wrestling match
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

I hate Mott the Hopple for two reasons 1) stupid name and 2) I heard their cover of All the Young Dudes about 30 million times on the radio of our hire car when we were in the States in 2010.

Mott is a great record.

You love Ziggy Stardust-era Bowie, no reason you wouldn't love them as well.

I have some U2 songs on my iPod, so when I have that on shuffle I hear them. Once in a while I'll select a song.

I don't keep up with what they're doing-only skim some threads on here for a laugh, or a cry. As the case may be.

I'm not really obsessively interested in them and haven't been for a long time, more like mildly. I'll always love their music but I think that's what happens in life, as you get older.

I take one sometimes, but usually not for very long. I think I'm due for a long Interference sabatical though! :lol:

I take one sometimes, but usually not for very long. I think I'm due for a long Interference sabatical though! :lol:

Been there. Almost-sort-of done that.

(It's a sickness. I can't stay away, no matter how great my irritation. :reject: )

If I wasn't so desperate for album news, I'd take an Interference sabbatical. I actually tend to do that after an album release because I know that reading people's posts about how horrible the new U2 product is will be a bummer.

not yet :lol:

there are about about 5 or so band's who's music both studio AND live- in my top 10/15 favorite songs list are actively "alive" inside me; are like Touchstones for me : where as i listen to those songs on YT, or sing to myself, or out loud in my home, and :giggle: sometimes out loud on the street...
Sometimes a song or 2 will get nudged out and be replaced by some others of these bands, and maybe go back again.

The band's are The Who, Springsteen/E St, The Patti Smith Group, Television, U2, Midnight Oil.
it doesn't matter in 2 (semi-3) cases that these bands have broken up....

In my fav 15 songs there are a very few that are not by these bands.

I haven't had my CD changer hooked up in 2 years :| :reject: the mp3 player i have is
packed away somewhere esp because the earbuds were designed for it and idk if they can be replaced- they've gone missing .

I try to keep up with music; it's in my blood, so to speak!. Sometimes it's difficult - w/o the net at home most of the time, 2) having semi-crummy Rock & classic rock broadcast radio,.... and the 1 college station i could get "went away" b/c when i moved to Brooklyn for 9 yrs their signal didn't travel that far "south" :lol: :|

finally i got to hear this great station again about 1 1/2 yrs ago when i remembered i was probably "north enough" again to try and catch the signal again.

in between from about 2009? - sometime 2011 there was a great station that played classic, new and :hmm: alt/indie. oh it was great but whoever invested pulled the plug on reg free radio and took it to satellite :mad:

so like besides looking at the Village VOICE, MUSIC MAGAZINES ON b&n's shelves, j&r Musics recordings & other media stuff.... and these other stations sometimes i'd go for periods w/o actually hearing new stuff...but might be reading about it.

i've tried sometimes to sit outside open venues to hear old & newer bands i couldn't afford to see (since U2 and Springsteen/E ST were the 2 i'd be saving for/paying back for ) : newer like Arcade Fire, The National, Deer Tick.... but sometimes the weather has been too hot and humid (above 92F) or bad weather . i have probably missed at least ? 5 - 10 or more newer/new bands playing form the ? 2003 - 2010 that i would have liked to/loved to have seen b/c of the weather

i hope if i'm able to get around better by later July onward (fractured ankle all Spring) i hope to catch more bands... outside open air paid concerts or freebee's way in the back...

I can't remember the last time when I listened to them, but this U22 thing will probably change that.

Weirdly I always seem to make a point of listening to at least one U2 song on my ipod every time I pick it up to listen to. Lets just say I haven't taken a "U2 free" bus journey since I was 12. Maybe my obsession has gone a little far! x

Pretty much after every tour to be honest, but it only lasts a month then I find myself going back,

Yeah. I actually found it has to do with me switching headphones...the newer ones I have, have much better bass and kind of shite highs. The old ones were all about the high tones. So nowadays trying to listen to October with the bass headphones is terrifying (Adam, why... :fist:) and the highs on Joshua Tree are pretty meh-sounding with my new ones.

I hear them on the radio occasionally and get the warm fuzzies. When I get back to my records I'll probably listen to 'Boy'. But that's it. I'd been listening to U2 for about 2 years straight though with very little else. Taking a weensy break.

Yea this is my first time checking the board in a while. I am not happy about thier lack of output . rumours in 10,11, and this year of new stuff and i guess not till 2013. I do have some songs in a playlist that show up from time to time, but thier not deep cuts and thier def on the back burner. More like thier on the kitchen counter behind the spices. my gf is way into pop stuff like gaga, katey perry and madonna etc. So im going along with that for a bit,. never explored that world too much before except for a little madonna. But thiers some chemical brothers and various artists in thier too. yea i guess on a u2 sabbitcal cause thier not dominating any of my audio devices.

Back
Top Bottom