Ever take a U2 sabatical? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 08:28 AM
I wouldn't really call it a sabbatical, but I do lose interest in them for long periods.

I became a serious fan of them around 1992 (though I'd been hearing their music since 1987). Listened to them a lot from '92 to about 1995.

From mid-1995 through 2000, I don't think I listened to them at all, bar maybe the occasional spin of The Joshua Tree.

In 2001 (I was living abroad then... as I am now), I got into them again, and became a fan again until about 2006.

Since then, I've listened to them only occasionally. No Line didn't really float my boat except for a few tracks, and I find myself increasingly turned off by the band's public appearances and self-promotion in recent years. So, I'm not really sure I'm a fan anymore, but I do occasionally go on this forum, so I might be!

Old 06-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancoke71 View Post
I am right now. I tend to focus on bands that I am going to see live. We desperately need something new.
I am the same way. Last summer I saw U2 twice, and I was just up for U2 all the time. I seemed to always find something else I liked about the albums, especially the 3 90s albums. This wednesday I have Radiohead in Cleveland, so I've been on a huge Radiohead kick lately. Excited, this will be my first time seeing them. Also in a few weeks I have Dave Matthews Band in Indiana, and I'm rediscovering them after many years of not paying them much mind.

Was on a Red Hot Chili Peppers kick for a few good months this winter, and tomorrow night they'll be about 45 minutes from my house. But I find that their studio quality BY FAR outweighs their live performance quality, so I passed on them.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:28 PM
My obsession period goes by albums or tours. It ended when U2360 ended back in July. Then, I focused my attention on RHCP, Radiohead, Madonna, Coldplay, and other artists and bands that I thought I wasn't going to listen to. I still listen to U2, usually pops up on shuffle frequently, but sometimes I skip them and not skip other songs from other artists or bands. It'll come back soon.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:28 PM
I have to admit that this is the most engaged I've been during a downtime since JT into AB. I have a tendency to go off the U2 grid during a period of inactivity. I totally spaced between AB and Pop, and even more so from Pop to ATYCLB. I'd say what's different this time around is that I became so engrossed in the last few legs of 360 that it was sort of rebirth for me as an mega-fan (having been a fan since 1983). With so much on the internet with the earliest videos to interviews and clips I never saw before - there's been plenty to keep me interested. And having U2 friends here has kept me faithful. I still listen to new stuff and other bands - it's just U2 is usually not on the radar for me until they have an album in the can. This time, I'm chomping at the bit.

What also has helped is that we've been selective with concerts. They are so expensive. I see bands like Radiohead, Florence, Bruce Springsteen, Garbage and such touring.....then I see the ticket prices....I just can't. I have to save my pennies for the Arcade Fire, Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam shows. And of course, the next U2 tour.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
War Child

yeah definitely do- my interest tends to cycle around the albums and tours (although not every album/tour). But I tend to do that with most bands I like

I rediscovered U2 with AB/Zooropa during 92/93 and played the music alot then (what a year 1993 was U2 Zooropa Tour, Dep Mode- Devotional and Duran's Dilate Your Mind tour)- then it wasn't really until Atomic Bomb I connected with them again

funny thing is with the last couple of albums I've gone back and re-found they're older stuff- with Atomic Bomb I dusted off Joshua Tree again and with NLOTH it was TUF and R&H/Love Town tour (via the Dublin shows).

last time I think my U2 obsession went almost twelve months from late 2008-2009. It was harder to fully engage with the second run of shows in late 2010- but still really enjoyed them

Since then (after a lengthy break) I've returned to Duran Duran via All You Need is Now, then indulged my pop side with Lady Gaga, re-visited Abba and uncovered some fab Depeche Mode concert recordings and of late I've gone back to playing Madonna again.....

I'm looking forward to U22, hearing UC live made my U2- senses tingle slightly.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 12:28 AM
Sometimes i wil say to myself i wont listen to them for a while,then a song comes on shuffle and im sucked back in!

Right now though im into a band called Some Velvet Morning,and i have been listening to a lot of the chili peppers at the moment.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #22
45:33

Local Time: 10:28 AM
There's four new 2012 albums out at the moment that I'm really digging.

Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action at a Distance (ps - youtube "Out of Touch", the guitar is awesome and reminds me of Mercy)

Father John Misty - Fear Fun

BADBADNOTGOOD - BBNG2

and The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now

Why debate about whether Bono said "12 songs" or "11 songs" when you can discover plenty of other great music, which comes out nearly every day
Old 06-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:28 PM
Father John Misty.

Oh yes, indeed.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #24
The Male

Local Time: 03:28 PM
Lotus Plaza. Beach House. Tallest Man On Earth. Japandroids.

U2's spot has been sufficiently occupied for the time being, although they are more than welcome to contribute.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 06:28 PM
another wonderful thing about records is they can be played for years and years and years after they're released. They don't evaporate 6 months after release date.

Saturday I played a Mott The Hoople album that was released in 1971. It still exists 41 years later.

And it was awesome.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm off U2.

Lotus Plaza 4'Evah!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #27

I hate Mott the Hopple for two reasons 1) stupid name and 2) I heard their cover of All the Young Dudes about 30 million times on the radio of our hire car when we were in the States in 2010.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66
I'm off U2.

Lotus Plaza 4'Evah!!!!!!
How does it feel to be part of The Hive Mind, the thing you once hated?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
How does it feel to be part of The Hive Mind, the thing you once hated?
What are you talking about? I've been into Lotus Plaza since I saw them open for Mott the Hopple back in the day.

Why you gotta ill me?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I hate Mott the Hopple for two reasons 1) stupid name and 2) I heard their cover of All the Young Dudes about 30 million times on the radio of our hire car when we were in the States in 2010.
Those are valid reason for writing off a great band.