Ever played a U2 Cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Seidman

The Fly
Has anyone here ever played in a band and attempted a U2 cover? In college (ca 1991-1995) I was in a band and played the guitar. We did 'Out of Control' a few times. It was terrible. I actually have an mp3 if anyone is interested - ha!

I play the songs, some on guitar, some on bassguitar.. but never attempted to make a full song out of it :shrug: maybe I'll try some day when I get my macbook, I could record it with garageband..

I am in a U2 tribute band... since 2006

so, quite a few

the ussuals, and the not so ussuals, like IYWTVD, Acrobat (that's the name of the band), IGWSHA, Heartland, Exit, Crhistmans (Baby Please come home).. etc

Yes, I usually say I know most of U2's catalogue from The Joshua Tree onwards by heart, but still far from every track U2 has ever recorded of course.
I've played Out of Control in a band as well, and we tried to learn Where The Streets Have No Name as well, but obviously it is quite a hard song to learn for a band.

These days I mostly play on my own, and I record covers occasionally, let me know if you would like to hear some samples. I often try to write my own stuff, but I always end of having lots of small riffs, ideas and pieces that never match up in the end. I've written a couple of finished songs though.

I do kickass, stripped down versions of Sunday Bloody Sunday, WOWY, and One.

Anyone can play guitar and they won't be a nothin anymore!!!

I've done covers of 'One' and 'Running to Stand Still'...

And with my old band we did a medley of Desire and Bullet the Blue Sky...

We do sunday bloody sunday sometimes...sounds pretty good actually...and it's incredibly fun to play :)

And with my old band we did a medley of Desire and Bullet the Blue Sky...

I've been trying to think of a way to link up Sunday Bloody Sunday, Seconds, and Bullet The Blue Sky. It sounds like a logical idea for a medley, but I'm pretty sure a competent drummer would be necessary for it to work properly...something I don't have at the moment.

I've been trying to think of a way to link up Sunday Bloody Sunday, Seconds, and Bullet The Blue Sky. It sounds like a logical idea for a melody, but I'm pretty sure a competent drummer would be necessary for it to work properly...something I don't have at the moment.

haha..yeah. that would actually be a good sequence live

I do mostly U2 piano covers under the name "yonzy." Some of you might have seen my stuff. Most recently, I recorded "Until the End of the World" on piano.

I've been trying to think of a way to link up Sunday Bloody Sunday, Seconds, and Bullet The Blue Sky. It sounds like a logical idea for a medley, but I'm pretty sure a competent drummer would be necessary for it to work properly...something I don't have at the moment.

SBS into BTBS would be quite easy, and then do Seconds as the outro...

That's actually pretty good.

My first band used to cover With Or Without You (between about 2003-2005). It was much more upbeat than U2, though. Clean-toned, palm muted guitar following the bassline and a more pounding rhythm section, and then a distorted guitar playing the leads on the chorus (which was a bit more shouty).

SBS into BTBS would be quite easy, and then do Seconds as the outro...

That's actually pretty good.

Actually, I'd go from SBS to Seconds, as they have close to the same tempo. Play SBS like the Vertigo tour version, with the song 'ending' then with the opening sequence coming in again, then go from hi-hat/snare to floor tom, keeping the kick drum rhythm the same. Then Seconds into BTBS is pretty easy, I'd just do it like SBS > BTBS again a la the Vertigo tour.

Come to think about it, given the similarities of the tempos, Seconds could also be snippeted into the middle of SBS quite easily (where Johnny Comes Marching or Rocking the Casbah are normally snippeted). All you need is a bit of creativity.

My band played WTSHNN at a concert in July..it had more of a modern rock feel to it, but still played with delay-ridden guitars.

Has anyone here ever played in a band and attempted a U2 cover? In college (ca 1991-1995) I was in a band and played the guitar. We did 'Out of Control' a few times. It was terrible. I actually have an mp3 if anyone is interested - ha!

I've only played in original bands but at times we've run through covers, U2 being on of those bands. Of songs we've either just jammed on or played in a show....Electric Co, With or Without You, Running to Standstill, Exit, Desire, Angel of Harlem, 40, Streets & Bad. I think that's about it.

Performed at an open mic in college, blew the crowd away with Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own:) and then peformed a hacked up version of Vertigo lol

Back
Top Bottom