Even more U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is all I got from that grumpy old man article:

"Back in my day, we didn't have the internet to get into new bands, we followed Cream and Zeppelin around even if their shows sucked - AND WE LIKED IT!!!"

And then somehow he ties it to nobody caring about U2. Huh???

Blah.

This is the part where I kinda cringe...

"But U2’s audience has stopped talking about the music. U2’s audience is as calcified as the one for the dinosaur acts touring the sheds, from Chicago to Earth, Wind & Fire to even Styx and Def Leppard. U2’s audience is fortysomethings wanting to relive their college days. And if you’re not in your forties yourself, not only do you not care, you’re turned off by the ravings of these lumpy parents."

And if you’re not in your forties yourself, not only do you not care, you’re turned off by the ravings of these lumpy parents."

What a wanker. I'm 19 and have been a fan for as long as I can remember. :down:

"But U2’s audience has stopped talking about the music. U2’s audience is as calcified as the one for the dinosaur acts touring the sheds, from Chicago to Earth, Wind & Fire to even Styx and Def Leppard. U2’s audience is fortysomethings wanting to relive their college days. And if you’re not in your forties yourself, not only do you not care, you’re turned off by the ravings of these lumpy parents."

:lmao: I'm in my fourties? Well thanks mate, I always thought I'm only halfway!

Yet, despite the gross, not that many people will go, not when you compare the number of attendees with the number of people living in America.

:huh: first of all he has no idea how many people will go since tickets haven't even gone on sale yet, and secondly what the hell does that even mean, "compared with the number of people living in America" I mean, obviously not every single person is going to go to a U2 concert, especially since there are only so many seats available? and how does this differ from any other band? I fail to see his point.

dumb article.

Does anyone have the sales numbers for Bob Dylan's latest that the entire world cared about as compared to U2's piece of crap? Also he says more people won't see U2 than will....well I'd wager that this could be applied to pretty much every single band on the planet.

Edit: Sorry AtomicBono already sort of said what I was trying to say

"Back in my day, we didn't have the internet to get into new bands, we followed Cream and Zeppelin around even if their shows sucked - AND WE LIKED IT!!!"

And we walked fifty miles to see them in concert!

Barefoot!

IN THE SNOW!!!!!

Does anyone have the sales numbers for Bob Dylan's latest that the entire world cared about as compared to U2's piece of crap?

:hmm:

Bob Dylan's upcoming album isn't out yet

his last one, Modern Times, sold 192,000 in its first week, making it #1, while NLTOH sold 484,000 copies in its first week, also making #1.

Of course ultimately we'll have to compare total sales much later, and it will be interesting to see how his new album fares. But Modern Times did get pretty much universal acclaim. NLOTH has gotten some great reviews but also some pretty terrible ones.

Comparing live shows, well, Bob Dylan is much older than U2, so I don't know if it's a fair comparison. But I've seen him twice live and sure, he puts on a nice show, but his voice is pretty much shot and I didn't see anything particularly risky or whatever about his shows. Not knocking on him, like I said he's much older and I also like U2 way more so I don't think I can fairly compare. But if I had to ultimately Dylan=boring and U2=not boring, at this point.

I don't think that whole article is bullshit. He makes some interesting points about the current state of music. Or rather, how many people currently perceive music.

But...

That is a generalisation that's way off the mark. He loses the plot there a bit. And it does not really fit with his next point, which is about Bob Dylan.
So not complete BS, but not an excellent article either.
:)

I don't think that whole article is bullshit. He makes some interesting points about the current state of music. Or rather, how many people currently perceive music.

But...

That is a generalisation that's way off the mark. He loses the plot there a bit. And it does not really fit with his next point, which is about Bob Dylan.
So not complete BS, but not an excellent article either.
:)

Dude... c'mon.

""But U2’s audience has stopped talking about the music. U2’s audience is as calcified as the one for the dinosaur acts touring the sheds, from Chicago to Earth, Wind & Fire to even Styx and Def Leppard. U2’s audience is fortysomethings wanting to relive their college days."

That's BS if you ask me. Who cares if he doesn't put two and two together.

so what this thread is, is an argument against a blog who's author doesn't even know you're arguing against his POV because you're complaining about it on a message board that he likely doesn't know exists?

oh, and to the person who said "dylan's voice is shot"... really. when exactly has he ever sung like a song bird?

This is just funny! I don't think it deserves our attention, reminds me a student in my school who was writing about Michel Angelo's David, he wrote the sculpture was less than 6 metres high and that it was sculptured during Michel Angelo's life, when he received very low marks, he went to the principal to complain!!!
Some people feel prepared to write about anything.

oh, and to the person who said "dylan's voice is shot"... really. when exactly has he ever sung like a song bird?

it's different than it used to be. His voice is very low and gravelly now.

as for the point of the thread, yeah it's kinda silly, about as silly as any other "this person says U2 sucks" thread or whatever

it's different than it used to be. His voice is very low and gravelly now.

as for the point of the thread, yeah it's kinda silly, about as silly as any other "this person says U2 sucks" thread or whatever

Hey, don't kill the messenger. i just posted the link because I thought it was interesting and it bared some discussion... being that we are in a U2 forum that is. So take it for what is worth... :wave:

The guy does make some points, though obviously not all fans are fortysomethings trying to relive their college days. Or whatever he said. I was more interested in what he had to say about MTV, and how radio stations aligned themselves to play what was on MTV back in the 80's and 90's. Of course now MTV sucks and is nothing more than a reality tv infomercial with bored kids texting their comments from home (or the car, wherever) onto the programs. Its kind of ironic that most radio stations seem to play only American Idol contestants now.....its like a countrywide playlist what the hell do we even need DJ's for? Just have one radio station for the entire country playing Kelly Clarkson and David Cook. We'll all be so busy with our I phones and following our "friends" on Twitter we won't notice.

What the fuck has happened to our society? "Change" and "Progress" aren't always, well, for the better. I remember being a kid and riding my bike around, playing ball, etc. You know the era, back before anyone ever heard about a thing called "school shootings" or whatever. I think when they came out with the walkman that was a pretty big deal. When's the last time you saw a kid riding a bike around the neighborhood? The little bastards are too busy these days texting depressed thoughts and sitting on their fat asses playing some fucking game. Meanwhile some fat, balding corporate types are setting next weeks radio playlist based on who just made it to the next round on Merican Idull.

Some day these little bastards are all going to be my captor, im sure of it. Oh well im off topic here. Fuck it.

Hey, don't kill the messenger. i just posted the link because I thought it was interesting and it bared some discussion... being that we are in a U2 forum that is. So take it for what is worth... :wave:

nah I ain't hatin on you brah, just saying, it's like any other thread where someone finds someone who doesn't like U2 - everyone is just gonna call it out for how dumb it is (and rightfully so, in this case at least, as the points he tries to make about U2 don't really tie into whatever else he's saying). Not saying it's not worth discussing.

He sang like a song bird on Desire (1976 -- recorded in '75). Download the songs "One More Cup of Coffee" and "Sara" and tell me that's not lovely singing... (Having said that, most Dylan fans don't like his voice to be that smooth.)

Back
Top Bottom