Eno Magnificent Video on U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim

Refugee
There's a new(ish) video on U2.com but I cannot open it.. is it just me? It's members only by the looks of it and is Eno talking about Magnificent.

I absolutely love the guy. I could spend an indefinite amount of time just watching him work.

As a side note, wasn't Lillywhite implying on that other interview that it was him that almost rescued Magnificent from a less brilliant fate? I think I recall him saying something about getting a much slower tempoed song called "French Disco" which he made more "visceral". In any case, I don't think there is much Lillywhite in this song. Fortunately.

I'm not sure why there is this bashing of other producers.

When I listen to the four main producers (or engineers) U2 have used - Eno, Lanois, Lillywhite and Flood - I appreciate what each brings.

Eno is there to comment, mix in something different, and try for other directions. And, of course, he's famous for his more ambient style. Lanois pushes the band to sound their best. This is especially true of Bono. Without Lanois, I'm not sure we ever would have really heard Bono's soaring vocals. Lillywhite brings back some of that punk-rock song that Eno prefers not to use. Lillywhite can and does help us remember U2 is a rock band. Flood is experimental - analogous to Eno - but in a more techno manner. This often helps give that extra oomph to U2's songs and allows them to stay modern.

The combination of producers and engineers have done wonders for U2 and while I appreciate U2 working with others, it's clear to me (based on what we've observed in the recent past when U2 have worked with other producers) that U2 should remain with this general group for the rest of their careers if possible.

With that in mind, regardless of whether this was Eno, Lillywhite or everyone and their mother contributing, "Magnificent" is one of U2's best song in years. So great job to everyone involved (and their mothers). :yes:

I'm not sure why there is this bashing of other producers.

When I listen to the four main producers (or engineers) U2 have used - Eno, Lanois, Lillywhite and Flood - I appreciate what each brings.

Eno is there to comment, mix in something different, and try for other directions. And, of course, he's famous for his more ambient style. Lanois pushes the band to sound their best. This is especially true of Bono. Without Lanois, I'm not sure we ever would have really heard Bono's soaring vocals. Lillywhite brings back some of that punk-rock song that Eno prefers not to use. Lillywhite can and does help us remember U2 is a rock band. Flood is experimental - analogous to Eno - but in a more techno manner. This often helps give that extra oomph to U2's songs and allows them to stay modern.

The combination of producers and engineers have done wonders for U2 and while I appreciate U2 working with others, it's clear to me (based on what we've observed in the recent past when U2 have worked with other producers) that U2 should remain with this general group for the rest of their careers if possible.

With that in mind, regardless of whether this was Eno, Lillywhite or everyone and their mother contributing, "Magnificent" is one of U2's best song in years. So great job to everyone involved (and their mothers). :yes:

I respect Lillywhite for his past work for U2, but personally I'm not too keen on the work he's been doing for the band as of late. That's where the "fortunately" came in. No bashing.

I'm just wondering, in the light of the two interviews, what did each of the two producers contribute to the song, which I agree is one of their best songs in years, since from what it appears, both of them seem to be bestowing upon themselves the merits for the final product. In my view I believe Eno had more to do with it.

The beach clip certainly presented a more "masculine" version of the song. That is why I am kind of disappointed with it. Larrys drumming seemed like it was going to be very strong but in the end it was sort of watered down to a disco rather than march.

Does anyone have a download link for Eno's video on MOS from a while back? I never saw anyone post a link or even talk about the video. I'd really like to download it.

Dana

I absolutely love the guy. I could spend an indefinite amount of time just watching him work.

As a side note, wasn't Lillywhite implying on that other interview that it was him that almost rescued Magnificent from a less brilliant fate? I think I recall him saying something about getting a much slower tempoed song called "French Disco" which he made more "visceral". In any case, I don't think there is much Lillywhite in this song. Fortunately.

I fully agree- had Lillywhite been all over it, it would have been COBL pt 2, no doubt. Just imagine what he'd have said- "Well the group tried giving it a disco feel but I reminded them that when all is said and done, they are U2."

Back
Top Bottom