Eno inspired u2 Vs Non Eno u2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Can anyone argue against the Brian Eno effect on u2?

We have Eno to thank for

UF
JT
AB
Zooropa
ATYCLB
NLOTH

VS

Boy
October
War
Rattle & Hum
Pop
HTDAAB (very limited input)

Can anyone say they prefer the non Eno inspired material more?:hmm:

Can anyone argue against the Brian Eno effect on u2?

We have Eno to thank for

UF
JT
AB
Zooropa
ATYCLB
NLOTH

VS

Boy
October
War
Rattle & Hum
Pop

Can anyone say they prefer the non Eno inspired material more?:hmm:

i can't abide atyclb, and apart from hutdab i really like everything on the non-eno list. the eno effect is really noticeable on albums, but the lack of it is only really visible when the creative output is poor like hutdab.

or something. i know what i'm trying to say.

I doubt that many would go for the non-Eno list, in fact I doubt anybody will.
Let's not forget the role of Daniel Lanois in all this, he's credited with the sole production role on a few of the Achtung baby tracks, and I think he's the main producer on TUF, though this is the album which Eno is mostly felt on.
But I'm a total Eno fan anyway, I own pretty much all of his albums and the same goes for Lanois.

But I'm a total Eno fan anyway, I own pretty much all of his albums and the same goes for Lanois.

So tell me Gav.....since i have been toying with the idea of exploring the whole Eno thing, which would be the best albums to start with?
(i will trust your judgement bud)

So tell me Gav.....since i have been toying with the idea of exploring the whole Eno thing, which would be the best albums to start with?
(i will trust your judgement bud)

While you wait for Gav to reply, can I point you in the direction of a few of Eno albums?

The best, with a good mix of ambient and more song-based tracks, is Another Green World, an absolute gem of an album; one of my favourites of all time.

If you want to go really ambient, remembering Eno had a decent hand in inventing the modern concept, go for the brilliant Ambient 1: Music for Airports and Ambient 4: On Land, both fantastic soundscapes that drift along beautifully, allowing you to listen or not - as Eno himself suggests - as you want.

If you want, Roxy Music style glam-infused music, go for Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy). Not my cup of tea, but it's a lot of people's top Eno album.

Let's not forget the role of Daniel Lanois in all this, he's credited with the sole production role on a few of the Achtung baby tracks, and I think he's the main producer on TUF, though this is the album which Eno is mostly felt on.

Absolutely agreed on this. It's funny how much Lanois gets forgotten. Listening to his production on Bob Dylan's stuff, for example, or watching the 'Here is What Is' film really hammers home his skills and influence as a producer. Plus, he came up with the chorus melody for 'Moment of Surrender', for which I will be eternally grateful. That alone is worth some sort of shiny medal.

Brian Eno is one of the greatest geniuses (not just musically) alive today. Danny Lanois can basically do everything and do it well... this man made Acadie a few years before coming up with the Zoo Station guitar tones. Both of them fit musically and intellectually right into U2, with a few differences that provide very good debate for U2.

I'd say their presence is a very good thing!

While you wait for Gav to reply, can I point you in the direction of a few of Eno albums?

Of course Pooks....your more than welcome to recommend...and thanx for the input. I think i will investigate the more ambient stuff first tho. (Not really into anything vaguely similar to Roxy Music)

And....I am now feeling bad for omitting Danny Lanois, coz a) He is every bit as influential as Eno when it comes to all things u2 and b) he is an amazing artist in his own right (i have all his comercially available albums, apart from the set of 6 CDs he released last year, which is on my to buy list)

Of course Pooks....your more than welcome to recommend...and thanx for the input. I think i will investigate the more ambient stuff first tho. (Not really into anything vaguely similar to Roxy Music)

Then I'd highly recommend listening to Music for Airports and, if you want to hear one of the best pieces of instrumental music ever made, try 'The Big Ship' or 'In Dark Trees' from Another Green World.

I almost forgot as well to recommend his album with David Byrne, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts from the early 1980s. A little bit more patchy than what they did with talking heads, but when they get it right, as on 'Regiment' and 'The Carrier', they really do hit the nail on the head.

I agree with what PookaMacp said, also throw in Here Come The Warm Jets, Before and after Science and The Pearl, which is one of the finest ambient albums ever made.

True, the Eno albums tend to be better than the ones he hasn't been working (except maybe War which is one of their best known albums).

That said, I was hoping for more of a leap of experimenting on NLOTH. U2 usually goes off with Eno/Lanois (UF, JT, AB, ATYCLB).

I love Eno, matter o' fact...I was listening to the new David Byrne and Eno record this AM on way into work.

But Danny Lanois is key to this band just as much. Have any of you thought it would be interesting to see U2 work just with Danny? I think the output could be spectacular.

I'm glad you brought up Lanois, because he seldom gets mentioned despite the fact that he almost undoubtedly has as much or more to do with the finished music as Eno (exceping Zooropa, which I don't think he had anything to do with).

Anyway, I think this a great topic, because the # of Lanois/Eno albums now is more-or-less the same as those not with them.

I will concede that the Lanois/Eno six are somewhat higher in overall quality than the non-Lanois/Eno six.

These...

UF
JT
AB
Zooropa
ATYCLB
NLOTH

are certainly more consistent in sound, style, and quality (from track to track) than these...

Boy
October
War
Rattle & Hum
Pop

However, I would add that those of us (like me) who like our U2 raw and rockin', at least most of the time (I realize we are a minority on this forum), would find more rock'n'roll on the latter six than on the Lanois/Eno ones.

Then, there's the fact that ATYCLB is, other than Pop, one of the most quality-compromised albums, due -- so I think -- to Lanois' slick, pop production of it.

I love Eno, matter o' fact...I was listening to the new David Byrne and Eno record this AM on way into work.

But Danny Lanois is key to this band just as much. Have any of you thought it would be interesting to see U2 work just with Danny? I think the output could be spectacular.

AB started out with Lanois alone.

That said I do hope they will work together. Eno got in on Zooropa and Passengers so it'd be nice if Lanois got the same offering...

Eno and Lanois' own albums are, for the most part, awesome, although Eno has been so prolific that he has his own fair share of unlistenable crap.

I personally prefer ambient and/or instrumental Eno to any of his songs that feature his singing, with a few exceptions. I can't believe none of you mentioned Apollo. That's one of his best albums.

Lanois' solo stuff is amazing. I listen to it all the time.

Needless to say, I greatly prefer the Eno/Lanois U2 to the other stuff. UF - Passengers accounts for probably 95% of my U2 listening.

Look, my list is:

#1) Achtung Baby
#2) The Joshua Tree
#3) No Line on the Horizon
#4) Zooropa
#5) Rattle and Hum
#6) All That You Can't Leave Behind
#7) How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
#8) Pop
#9) The Unforgettable Fire
#10) War
#11) Boy
#12) October
#13) Original Soundtracks 1

So, you can see I'm more into Eno/Lanois-involved projects, but I also think all other albums are great. Passengers is the only one I don't care that much about. The rest is pretty good at least. To me, both teams are great, it's just that Eno and Lanois can get the best out of U2, and the best out of U2 happens to be perfection.

Back
Top Bottom