Edge's new home...so what.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, the bottom line is.....the rich people in Malibu don't want Edge to build, because it will make noise? Wow, they should live in my neighborhood. But, then again. I'm not rich.

Edge, move to the east coast. We have horse farms and ocean front properties.

Based on that article, the argument against this project is very weak. "A deer might get stuck in a trench during construction" (or something like that) Well, they are being hypocritical because they've built their houses there too.

"He shouldn't build the other houses because he doesn't need the money." So some other rich asshole can build houses there and make a profit and it's okay??

Rich, jealous people whining because the will no longer be the "big shots" of the neighbourhood.

First Bono screwing us on how many songs on NLOTH

Second Larry saying he wants to maybe retire after this Tour

And now this?????????

Fucki:censored:ng A, these guys are way outta control. I can't seem to stand any of them.:wink:

But seriously folks, it's his PROPERTY! He could do whatever the hell he wants to do.

Honestly does this really need to be on the Yahoo news page every day for a week?! I've seen major news stories not last a whole day. They usually change those stories more than once a day! Why does poor Edge have to be on there for a week? Somebody got something against U2?

Anyway it seems like a bad business investment since Malibu is so prone to fires and mudslides.

I agree. And after seeing video of the area thanks to Danny's link. It's not so great. Due to lack of rain, the hills look barren. Dried up. I may be bias, but the eastern coastal areas are much more beautiful.

:macdevil:
untitled.jpg

Build the 5 mansions and plans on flipping 3 of them, so how is the real estate market in Malibu holding up these days? Would he be able to flip quickly?

Not so sure about the building and flipping them story. Edge has said the news story isn't accurate.

More likely they will be for the band to use to base operations while touring, just like the have apartments in NY.

Edge will probably build a nice studio in his too.

At the end of the day, he bought the property and should be able to build what he wants.

i still think it's wrong for The Edge to try to live like a normal human. he's from the future. he must live differently.

I just wonder how environmentally sound all of those other rich neighbors' homes are

NIMBY in a case like this is pretty laughable. I do wonder what the :edge: is doing with all that property and all of those homes-maybe making his own retirement community for U2 so they can all live together until they die, and then their kids can, and so on and so on.

The most annoying thing in this thread is that, in that video, the guy keeps calling him Evans. As if people call him that.

I do wonder what the :edge: is doing with all that property and all of those homes-maybe making his own retirement community for U2 so they can all live together until they die, and then their kids can, and so on and so on.

I was thinking the same thing today after looking at the web site. It said something about "friends" that are going to live in the other three houses, and it made me imagine them all puttering around there together when they're really old. That would be kinda cool, actually. They could each have a house and then have a full-time medical staff in the fifth house to look after them. :lol: Way to plan for the future, Edge! ;)

Ok well that certainly looks pretty!

I had to laugh at the website though (in a good way). After reading it I felt like I do when I'm standing in front of The Edge at a U2 show before he rips into the solo for BTBS or something. He don't go half way, he's full on assault! :goedge:

:up:

My wife makes fun of me because I'm excited that Edge is going to be living across the street from us. I can literally see where the home will be from my place. It's not that big of a deal. There's homes in the mountain already, but how appropriate for a guy named Edge to literally be living so close to the edge of a mountain.

Although the vistas are awesome from the moutain. I can't believe he wouldn't actually buy a place on Carbon Beach here in Malibu. I'm on the beach and I can't imagine living on the mountain where you can only see the beach...maybe I'll run into Edge eventually. That would be cool!

He was once among the country’s most enthusiastic buyers of property. Now Derek Quinlan is one of its most vigorous sellers. The former tax inspector with the Revenue Commissioners, who is attempting to sell multiple properties in Dublin and New York, is quietly seeking to offload a plot of land in Malibu where he planned to build an eco-friendly house next door to The Edge, guitarist with rock group U2.

The owner of Claridge’s and The Berkeley hotel in London had planned to be a neighbour of the U2 guitarist in a 120-acre Malibu retreat that the pair were developing jointly. But last week, Quinlan’s plot of land in Sweetwater Mesa, and three adjoining sites, were listed as available for sale with Pritchett-Rapf & Associates, a Malibu real-estate agent, with a price of $7.5m (€5.6m) each.

Contacted by The Sunday Times last week, the agent confirmed that four of the five plots in the coastal getaway were available.

The duo’s attempts to develop the secluded retreat, 900ft above the Pacific coastline, has drawn criticism from locals, who claimed the plans showed scant regard for the local environment. The Edge, whose real name is David Howell Evans, set up a website, leaves-inthewind.com, to defend the project. His home is designed with a cascade of 19 overlapping roofs intended to resemble bronze leaves being blown along a ridge.

Edge claims that he and Quinlan “have worked diligently to design homes that meet the highest environmental standards; that fit appropriately and aesthetically into this beautiful part of southern California; and that are truly remarkable examples of the best architecture and design”.

The other planned houses in the complex include Blue Clouds, a multi-level home; Panorama, an ocean-front property; Shell House, a curving structure inspired by the ocean; and Clouds Rest, which mimics the mounds of the site.

The musician, who has had a residence in Malibu for more than a decade and whose wife is Californian, paid a little under €10m for the land after finding it in 2004. He and Quinlan appointed Wallace Cunningham, a self-styled eco-friendly architect, to draw up plans for five environmentally sustainable homes on the site.

The pair hope to secure permission for the development in June from the California Coastal Commission.

Despite Pritchett-Rapf & Associates’ confirmation to The Sunday Times that four plots were for sale, a spokesman for the project later denied that the houses were for sale on the open market. Pritchett-Rapf & Associates subsequently said that it had not been authorised to speak to journalists when it made the original comments.

A spokesman for Quinlan declined to comment.

The Edge and Quinlan are also partners in the redevelopment of the five-star Clarence hotel in Dublin, along with Bono and Paddy McKillen, a property developer. The hotel received planning permission last year for a €150m overhaul, but work has yet to commence.

Quinlan, who owns a 50% stake in Jurys Inns, is offloading much of his property portfolio. He is selling a New York townhouse for €28.3m which he bought for €19.8m four years ago. The 13,000 sq ft property is on 20 East 64th Street, where neighbours once included Bernie Madoff, the disgraced banker.

He is selling offices on the same street which he bought for €14m in 2005. The asking price for the 10,000 sq ft building, which came on the market last October for €27.3m, has been reduced to €19.8m.

Quinlan, who paid €1.1 billion to buy the Savoy Hotel group in 2004, has put his former offices at 1 Elgin Road in Dublin 4 up for sale for €7.5m, bought two years ago for €7m.

He was recently granted planning permission to amalgamate numbers 1 and 3 Shrewsbury Road,adjoining houses he bought in 2006 for a reported €27m. As well as linking the houses, he has permission to extend the properties and add a basement, creating a seven-bedroom, 21,000 sq ft mansion.

Quinlan has also hired an art dealer to sell some of his large art collection, which includes works by Sean Scully, Hughie O’Donoghue, Roderic O’Conor and Jack B Yeats, much of it bought at the top of the Irish art boom early in the decade.

“It is well known that he was badly advised and treated in his art dealings throughout the boom,” an art world source said last week. “He has offered a part of his collection for sale over the past few months. Some of these pictures were bought at public auctions for large prices, and the reality is that in the current market they can only be sold at a loss.”

Additional reporting: John Burns

€5m for my Malibu sunset, says Derek Quinlan - Times Online

I don't like Mr. The Edge's house because Mr. The Bono is a giant douchebag.

Back
Top Bottom