Edge in new web doc - does Running to Stand Still live, solo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Filmed around Super Bowl time 2014 when invisible was getting premiered

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

also don't get the people saying that Edge's vocals are no good. he sounds way better than Bono does on pretty much every song on SoI :shrug:

Whattt??? Bonou sounds amazing on the new record.

Anyway, I must agree during Vertigo Running to Standstill he was just going through the motions

also don't get the people saying that Edge's vocals are no good. he sounds way better than Bono does on pretty much every song on SoI :shrug:

That's just ridiculous. Edge has no real singing voice and it's ok that way, he doesn't have to sing.

Bono's singing has been great on the record and the promo tour. Edge is a very good background singer but not a good solo singer at all. So what, he's the guitarist, many guitarists don't sing at all. His singing is nice, but he clearly isn't very well trained and doesn't have much practice. In this recent video, he sings very cautiously, there's not much expression there.

Anyway, I must agree during Vertigo Running to Standstill he was just going through the motions

I love the Vertigo version of the song. I just wish they'd bring it back live. I don't think Bono's often "going through the motions". I don't think he'd sing something if the passion and feeling isn't there. For me, he's always very expressive as a singer.

Edge has a thin voice, but you'd be hard stretched to say he has no singing voice. He has some absolutely beautiful backing work on this album, and I was surprised by how good he did on LIB. But this recording was probably one of his weakest, not that we have a big library to choose from. But for anyone to say it's better than anything on SOI is just trying to get a rise or has the most questionable ears on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Meh, Bono's been accused of "over"singing most of his career.

But he got by because you could hear the passion and belief (and they were great songs).

But I am just an arsehole who doesn't really like the new album.

Loved the guitar on this, it doesn't even really sound like the album version or the live version, it sounded like some new loopy thing and I wish they would make a new song out of it but I am sure that's just me. But I loved how U2-ey/Edge-y it sounded. I miss this in their music, I love the effects, I love the loops, it's all classic U2 to me!

(rant over)

Edge's job on vocals is to be a backup singer, which has two parts.
1. Sound like Bono
2. Blend in.

It's not that he has no singing voice; it's that his style is intentionally unobtrusive. Men with much less pleasant and tuneful but more idiosyncratic, reedy tenor voices have done well as lead vocalists (Oh hello, Liam Gallagher). His pitch is strong, and once he relaxes at the end his expression and delivery are good. It's much more accurate to say he sings like a backing vocalist than to say he doesn't sing well.

1. Good guitar-wise.
2. Voice-wise - leave the lead vocal to Bono and stick to backing vocals.

Edge has a thin voice, but you'd be hard stretched to say he has no singing voice. He has some absolutely beautiful backing work on this album, and I was surprised by how good he did on LIB. But this recording was probably one of his weakest, not that we have a big library to choose from. But for anyone to say it's better than anything on SOI is just trying to get a rise or has the most questionable ears on this forum.

Yup, Edge being a better singer is one of the best lulz on the internet fandom.

Back
Top Bottom