Driving home from the footy match between the Riddell and Kyabram Leagues today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I decided to give Achtung Baby its annual or twice-annual spin (#2 album ever, but I rarely play it, I think because I've moved on from U2). Still amazing as ever. I think that final verse of UTEOTW might be my favourite U2 moment ever.

Then, with about 40 or so minutes still to drive I thought I'd play some of my audio rip of ZooTV Live From Sydney. I started with Bullet the Blue Sky. That shit will melt your fucking face off.

And then comes Running to Stand Still > Where the Streets Have No Name. I'm on record as saying this is the pinnacle of the band; in a career resplendent with highs, that 10-minute block of live music is their greatest moment.

When Bono went "ughh", signifying the needle going into his skin, my eyes started to well up. And then as he sang "alle, alle, alleluia..." a tear, from each eye, rolled down my cheek.

I may say I've moved on, and I have. With the wealth of amazing new music coming out all the time, and the great older albums I'm still discovering, and the artists I'm really loving at the moment, I rarely listen to U2 anymore. A few times a year. I don't think we're getting a new album any time this year, and if we don't ever get another one you won't find me an emotional wreck.

But it's moments like two paragraphs above which remind me why U2 will always be my favourite band ever. There are plenty of artists who resonate with me, but none, not Radiohead, not Bowie, not Floyd, not LCD Soundsystem, not Outkast, not anyone, can move me that significantly, as I drive a hunk of metal 110 kilometres an hour down the Hume Freeway towards Brunswick.

Great post Cobl! I have very similar feelings regarding that period of the bands career and my current feelings on the band and other music out there. :up:

tumblr_ligqdstSwY1qzrcq5o1_500.png

Back
Top Bottom