Down All the Days - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: gone
Posts: 17,898
Local Time: 07:24 PM
Down All the Days

They played this song on the U2 station on SiriusXM today.

How have I never heard of this song?!?! I have been out of the loop recently, when did this thing see the light of day?

They have to play this on the Achtung Baby anniversary tour right?? I'm going to get an online petition and some wristbands ordered, this may be their best song ever....
__________________

Chizip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,418
Local Time: 05:24 PM
It was on the Achtung Baby reissue box set. It's amaaaaaaazing.

See also: Oh Berlin.
__________________

corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:03 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
An Cat Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohm Sweet Ohm
Posts: 4,122
Local Time: 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
It was on the Achtung Baby reissue box set. It's amaaaaaaazing.

See also: Oh Berlin.
Near the Island was pretty good too. I couldn't afford to buy the sooper doper deluxe at the time so it's a shame that these tracks are quite hard to get hold of, not even on youtube.

Oh Berlin...
An Cat Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:13 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,782
Local Time: 05:24 PM
Def the highlight of the outtakes. It's a better "song" than Numb and has more emotion, but I'm still glad Numb is what was ultimately used for posterity, mainly because it's one of the biggest curveball, WTF singles ever released.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Refugee
 
ImOuttaControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,447
Local Time: 07:24 PM
Awesome song. I actually see it as one of the best examples of what U2 was initially trying to accomplish with Achtung Baby. In "From the Sky Down" the band talks about machine age music and taking humanity out, so that what remains shines through more brightly. I see this as precisely what they were going for--industrial, mechanical music with incredibly soulful lyrics and vocals. Awesome stuff.

The only thing I don't like is the background vocals, the "Dayyyyys...daayyyyyss" is kind of obnoxious, in the same way that the "Do wop" backing vocals are obnoxious and unnecessary on Heaven and Hell.
ImOuttaControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Rachel D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: At the Lettuce Bar
Posts: 6,098
Local Time: 07:24 PM
I love that entire B-Side disk from the Achtung Baby remaster (except Fortunate Son, that's awful). I listen to that more than I listen to Achtung Baby itself.
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 59,319
Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizip View Post
They played this song on the U2 station on SiriusXM today.

How have I never heard of this song?!?! I have been out of the loop recently, when did this thing see the light of day?

They have to play this on the Achtung Baby anniversary tour right?? I'm going to get an online petition and some wristbands ordered, this may be their best song ever....
I'm still waiting for a Dirty Day wristband
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 33,360
Local Time: 08:24 PM


So I caught Chizip's name and I said "whaaa?" and took a look; oh, more rare songs, outtakes etc talk!

RD I love a whole lot of the B-sides you're talking about, like Blow Your House Down, LWTSH. Where Did We Go Wrong, (Yeah, FS is pretty awful - I think a lot of their covers have been pretty meh )

Down All The Days- Just tried to look it up -a guy on YT did an instrumental cover of it: Chris Waldrop".
Might want to check it out; niiiice stingy, buzzy guitar work over the more familiar Numb aspects.

Just about to check out "oh, Berlin"

Before that though, got to mention one my favorite outtakes that didn't make it (at least not in the deluxe Cd) "I Feel Free" another UTEOTW precusor! Takes it partly in a different direction. Love it!

Didn't find "Oh, Berlin"

OTOH had not heard this older
outtake before- J Swallow Was impressed!
dazzledbylight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 33,360
Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Def the highlight of the outtakes. It's a better "song" than Numb and has more emotion, but I'm still glad Numb is what was ultimately used for posterity, mainly because it's one of the biggest curveball, WTF singles ever released.
And the video is hilarious!
dazzledbylight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:21 AM   #10
Refugee
 
kiwilad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Malmsbury Villa
Posts: 1,474
Local Time: 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post


So I caught Chizip's name and I said "whaaa?" and took a look; oh, more rare songs, outtakes etc talk!

RD I love a whole lot of the B-sides you're talking about, like Blow Your House Down, LWTSH. Where Did We Go Wrong, (Yeah, FS is pretty awful - I think a lot of their covers have been pretty meh )

Down All The Days- Just tried to look it up -a guy on YT did an instrumental cover of it: Chris Waldrop".
Might want to check it out; niiiice stingy, buzzy guitar work over the more familiar Numb aspects.

Just about to check out "oh, Berlin"

Before that though, got to mention one my favorite outtakes that didn't make it (at least not in the deluxe Cd) "I Feel Free" another UTEOTW precusor! Takes it partly in a different direction. Love it!

Didn't find "Oh, Berlin"

OTOH had not heard this older
outtake before- J Swallow Was impressed!
Dazzled, Oh Berlin is on Vimeo. Type vimeo oh berlin into google and you'll find it.
An absolute stunner too. Enjoy!
kiwilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 33,360
Local Time: 08:24 PM
Thanks kiwilad!

Another I just heard was "Always" a precursor to Beautiful Day" ! Quite impressive!
dazzledbylight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
Refugee
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 1,001
Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
I love that entire B-Side disk from the Achtung Baby remaster (except Fortunate Son, that's awful). I listen to that more than I listen to Achtung Baby itself.
Been rocking out myself to that disc via Amazon Prime! Personal favorite has to be Blow Your House Down, and that killer riff from Edge.
hibricc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Rachel D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: At the Lettuce Bar
Posts: 6,098
Local Time: 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibricc View Post
Been rocking out myself to that disc via Amazon Prime! Personal favorite has to be Blow Your House Down, and that killer riff from Edge.
Yes! That’s one of the best songs on there.
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,741
Local Time: 10:24 AM
I wish they'd included one of those wacky takes with different vocals in each channel and then attempted disastrously to play it live on the following tour.
kabigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:05 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 33,360
Local Time: 08:24 PM
thanks kiwilad.
Found "oh, berlin" per your instructions.

A winner, for sure
__________________

dazzledbylight is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com