Does MSG Sphere Line Up with a U2 Residency?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dublin

The Fly
MSG just announced a sphere that will open in Vegas in 2021 - https://dancingastronaut.com/2018/12/las-vegas-msg-sphere-looks-take-live-performances-next-level/30 stories tall, 600,000 square feet of fully programmable screens, 18,000 capacity specifically designed for concerts and musical residencies and immerse storytelling experiences. The technology explained in the article is amazing regarding sound and customized visuals. Could this line up as the perfect venue for U2's next tour? If residency is a consideration, maybe so. Also with U2's resources they may very well be able to build their own version and set it up in stadiums for week long touring residencies around the world. Seems like the next level for a band striving for innovation and relevancy. As I said, 100% speculation, but certainly fun to think about...see you in Vegas in 2021?

Possible. LiveNation and MSG have a great relationship, and the other major Vegas venue is run by AEG, LiveNation's main competition.

This is a 20,000 seat venue though, so it's not something that could easily be moved to a stadium setting. This is also a very unique set up that isn't really something you can take on the road.

They're pumping a ton of resources into this venue so I'm sure they'll want a massive act to be their first residency.

I wouldn't count on it, but I'm not ruling it out either.

U2 couldn’t even sell out 2 nights at a 20,000 seat arena in Vegas this year. No way.

I would not rule U2 out for a residency whatsoever.

I'd probably rule out a 20,000 seat venue for a residency option - but it wouldn't shock me in the least.

Not necessarily in Vegas - but somewhere.

And on the subject of Vegas being the place where old acts go to die... there are plenty of acts who could still tour comfortably who have regular residencies in Vegas now, with more to come. And EDM artists are there every week. It hasn't been the sleepy lounge act place for some time now.

And selling TMobile out for two nights has no bearing on whether or not a residency would work. Brittney Spears couldn't sell out two nights at TMobile in her dreams, but she had a wildly successful run at Planet Hollywood. These residencies are typically in smaller venues.

All that said - if they were to ever go down the residency route, I'd guess Dublin, London or New York before I went with Vegas.

Last edited:
I'm going to see Lady Gaga's jazz and piano show at the Park Theater Park MGM. 5,200 seats. Vegas isn't my kind of place, the only other time I went there was to see U2. Enjoyed that but just found the rest of the place to be depressing. And that was 17 years ago so I'm even older and grumpier now -)

That's just me, plenty of other people love it. For a really personal reason going to see this Lady Gaga show is special for me. I'd prefer that it was somewhere else that's much more convenient but was lucky enough to get a presale ticket on a whim.

I don't see U2 doing it but you never know. It seems to attract some pretty big stars now. I think you'd have to see an older rock group pave the way first before they would consider it. I'm sure the $$$ would be appealing. Even more for them, staying in one place for their families and proximity to CA.

I don't see U2 doing it but you never know. It seems to attract some pretty big stars now. I think you'd have to see an older rock group pave the way first before they would consider it. I'm sure the $$$ would be appealing. Even more for them, staying in one place for their families and proximity to CA.

Rock groups have done Vegas residencies, but generally short ones. Guns N Roses did one a few years ago at the Hard Rock, but it was only 12 shows and Aerosmith is scheduled for one this year (at the same place you're seeing Gaga) if Joe Perry manages to live that long. But its only a total of 18 shows between April & July.

Certainly wouldn't rule out U2 doing something brief like that, but the traditional Wayne Newton/Celine Dion style residency no chance in hell.

Well Perry is the one who collapsed after leaving the stage recently and had to be hospitalized, and it was the second such incident in the past couple years. He then canceled a small solo tour to recover. Tyler by comparison is Charles Atlas these days.

Rock groups have done Vegas residencies, but generally short ones. Guns N Roses did one a few years ago at the Hard Rock, but it was only 12 shows and Aerosmith is scheduled for one this year (at the same place you're seeing Gaga) if Joe Perry manages to live that long. But its only a total of 18 shows between April & July.

Certainly wouldn't rule out U2 doing something brief like that, but the traditional Wayne Newton/Celine Dion style residency no chance in hell.
The current day Vegas residencies are far removed from tiny bubbles.

Even Celine, who kinda opened up the new era of residencies with her show at Ceasars, is old fashioned compared to what they're doing now.

In a U2 residency, which again I don't think will happen, they'd only do 2-3 shows a week, and would be able to space out plenty of breaks in between. It's also easily reachable from southern California by private jet, which many of the current residencies do.

Well Perry is the one who collapsed after leaving the stage recently and had to be hospitalized, and it was the second such incident in the past couple years. He then canceled a small solo tour to recover. Tyler by comparison is Charles Atlas these days.
Playing one song with Billy Joel will do that to a guy

This news report of them projecting U2 live from Chicago in 2005 has sold me. I'm already cringing deeply at the thought of what visuals they'll use during songs like Miracle Drug, Kite and Get on Your Boots.

Back
Top Bottom