Does he have an official name: Astro baby... ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr. zooeuss

War Child
You know the little guy I'm talking about. Originally seen during ZooTV and on the cover of Zooropa, now he's back on the 360 tour reciting Space Oddity and talking about spacejunk, usually right before "Ultraviolet" is played.

Does he have an official name? I've never quite known. Seems I've heard him referred to as Astro Baby or Astro Boy, but I know Astro Boy is also the name of an old Japanese cartoon...

Thanks

YouTube - Ultraviolet - U2 - Rose Bowl

I've always called it the Zoobaby. Not sure I'd ever heard "Astro Baby" until U2.com randomly used it this tour.

Cheers. Maybe his name changes with the tour he's brought along on. In any case, it's good to see him back. Wish they'd do more with him.

I think the official is Zoobaby, that's what my Zooropa t-shirt was named in the U2.com store. :hmm: And that's the only name I heard until U2.com started the Astro Baby stuff this year.

I'm not sure "classy" is the right word. There was a lot of decadence, trash, throw away, etc... that was kind of the point.

:doh:

But I think Gav was referring to how pretty much everything during Zoo TV sounded and looked cool and stylish! I don't think "classy" is that bad an adjective to use in this context.

Now if you call Popmart trash and throwaway, I can kinda see it. But of course it was all drenched in irony. And Popmart was cool as heck too but not quite as classy as Zoo TV. In my humble opinion.

I don't know if there's an official name, but I thought Zooronaut made sense, and I used that as my SN when I first joined @U2, and then later when I started taking the blue crack. Astronauts navigate space, Zooronauts navigate the Zoo. Hence...

I've always called him ZooBaby. He's one the Vertigo Tour DVD and is supposed to be on the 360 DVD?:shrug: I'm not seeing him on 360 till DVD.:reject: He's really cool! I always think of him going "Mama, mama, mama" repeatedly like he did before Zoo Station on the Vertigo Tour Live from Chicago. And for the record Zooropa is one of the coolest album covers of all time!

astroface.jpg

Zooropa.jpg

I've always called him The Zooropa Baby. Got so excited when I saw him on the intro to Ultraviolet at the Rose Bowl, imploring the crowd to "turn on your radio... turn on your radio..." in a spaced-out robot voice... so cool :drool:

I think the official is Zoobaby, that's what my Zooropa t-shirt was named in the U2.com store. :hmm: And that's the only name I heard until U2.com started the Astro Baby stuff this year.

I think the fact only U2.com has decided to call him "Astro Baby" is telling. We know what their (in)accuracy is like.

Huh, hadn't noticed that. Would love to know who's in charge of the printed sets, given song titles such as "Running To Standstill".

Good point. U2.com editing... yeah.

Though this could be the Zoo Baby's cousin from outer space, will we ever know?

It's almost as if he was born along with U2's sense of humor (aka ZooTV) ;-)

Didn't realize that he'd been around at Vertigo; he wasn't at the show I saw; someone fill me in on that please?

thanks!

I :heart: him. I think if I ever break down and get a tattoo it's going to be him with the stars around. :heart::heart::heart:

Same for me. Though I doubt it will happen due to my fear of needles.

:hmm: I still want to make a ZooTv Edge beanie some day, with this guy and the other symbols on it. Still haven't found his kind of beanie here though! :lol:

He was around at vertigo before the start of the encore. Either going into ZooStation or UTEOTW. :)

Good point. U2.com editing... yeah.

Though this could be the Zoo Baby's cousin from outer space, will we ever know?

It's almost as if he was born along with U2's sense of humor (aka ZooTV) ;-)

Didn't realize that he'd been around at Vertigo; he wasn't at the show I saw; someone fill me in on that please?

thanks!

At the start of the "Zoo encore", he is shouting "Mama! Mama! Mama!" before Zoo station starts.

You can see that part in U23D too dr. zooeus. (with him shouting MAMA before the encore) (they played it like a slot machine up on the screen until all the pictures were the baby, then they all start shouting)

He's been on the back of my car for years too. Friends of mine never knew what he was, and when I took them to see U23D, one of them turned to me and said OH now it all makes sense!

You can see that part in U23D too dr. zooeus. (with him shouting MAMA before the encore) (they played it like a slot machine up on the screen until all the pictures were the baby, then they all start shouting)

He's been on the back of my car for years too. Friends of mine never knew what he was, and when I took them to see U23D, one of them turned to me and said OH now it all makes sense!

:lol: That would be my friends. I want one of those Zoo Baby decals for my car. Maybe get the Zooropa album cover decal?:hyper:

Back
Top Bottom