Does he have an official name: Astro baby... ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:doh:

But I think Gav was referring to how pretty much everything during Zoo TV sounded and looked cool and stylish! I don't think "classy" is that bad an adjective to use in this context.

Now if you call Popmart trash and throwaway, I can kinda see it. But of course it was all drenched in irony. And Popmart was cool as heck too but not quite as classy as Zoo TV. In my humble opinion.

Fine, but I still don't think "classy" is the right word for it. Yes it was very cool, had lots of style, but classy suggests an elegance, and ZooTV was purposely the opposite of that. I think even U2 themselves would say you didn't quite get ZooTV if you ended up calling it "classy".

My post wasn't meant to be an insult or a knock on ZooTV, so I'm not sure why the :doh:

So much fun to see him pop up again with UV, and even 'talking' now, someone should make a documentary on his life.

Wait a minute...why don't we have a Zoobaby emoticon? Seriously, that would be so awesome.
(Hint, hint, mods. ;))

Its definetly Zoobaby, but i think they have started using the "astro baby" thing to try and underline the fact that he is a little cosmonaught and also underline the "space" theme.

At the start of the "Zoo encore", he is shouting "Mama! Mama! Mama!" before Zoo station starts.

You can see that part in U23D too dr. zooeus. (with him shouting MAMA before the encore) (they played it like a slot machine up on the screen until all the pictures were the baby, then they all start shouting)

He's been on the back of my car for years too. Friends of mine never knew what he was, and when I took them to see U23D, one of them turned to me and said OH now it all makes sense!

Thanks, U2G & BC,

I don't recall that part of U23D, how odd; thanks for filling me in though.

He really is pretty cool. Love the way he's repeating Space Oddity, Bono about Iran, and then Desmond Tutu's speech to himself, as if he's figuring it all out by repeating it... definitely comes across like a little guy from outer space... "what time is it in the world... achieve lift off... we are those people... we are those people...hmm!... turn on your radio... turn on your radio... baby baby baby, baby baby baby... planet earth is blue and there's nothing I can do... planet earth is blue and there's nothing I can do... planet earth is blue and there's nothing I can do... " :zooastrobaby:

I really would love to see them do more with him, and the emoticon icon ; definitely!!

Really can envision them turning him into a prolific side-story, after all the Beatles had "Yellow Submarine" ... not saying U2 should try to mimic that, but rock bands this size end up with tons of license to play around with side projects in that way...

what are the chances he makes the cover of "Songs of Ascent" !!! (haha)

i've never liked a u2 video more than astrobaby. what a great voice! and the eyes!

also, ZooTV may not have been "classy" per se, but every single thing about it was so very well done and so goddamn cool that it's hard to describe with words.

i wanted that shirt with zoo baby on it soo bad, but i had lost interest in u2 when they finally put a shirt with him on it up for sale on their site...after getting back into them with this album, the shirt is now gone.

maybe they'll release it when zooropa gets remastered (please!).

The "astro baby" originally represented stood for the 'sad cosmonaut' on the Zooropa album and single covers:

The artwork featured a sketch of the circle of stars from the Flag of Europe with a "sad astronaut" figure in the middle. The figure was manipulated from the "graffiti babyface" of the Achtung Baby album artwork,[33] designed to represent the Soviet cosmonaut who was left floating in orbit for weeks after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zooropa_(song)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zooropa_(song)#cite_note-33

I have no idea what the official name is, but I call him "freaky baby," "potato baby," "astronaut baby," and "freaky potato astronaut baby." :D

The "astro baby" originally represented stood for the 'sad cosmonaut' on the Zooropa album and single covers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zooropa_(song)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zooropa_(song)#cite_note-33

Yes, thank you!

There are two different little guys we are dealing with here, there is the face alone, which can be seen on the AB CD:

ABCD.jpg

And then there is the 'sad cosmonaut' which was also detailed in Flannagan's UTEOW book

I either call him Zoo Baby or Astro Baby I really liked seeing him make an appearance at the concert I was at, and it seemed like everyone else did to as he got a nice cheer.:up:

I call him lemon zoobaby or just zoobaby & i am also getting at tattoo soon featuring him.it was so sweet he made his apperance in sydney we all gave him a little chear, its so cute how each tour he seam to talk a little more,next time he might be running the show

I think I once read, that it was Bono's son John, who recorded the 'mama, mama, mama' for the Vertigo Tour zoo baby. Did I dream that up, or did anyone else read that? Maybe it was on U2.com.

Anyway, did you notice that he changed a bit during the 360 tour? He seems to have grown a little. I liked the first one better. He looked more innocent... and cute :cute:

:hmm: I still want to make a ZooTv Edge beanie some day, with this guy and the other symbols on it. Still haven't found his kind of beanie here though! :lol:

I've always wanted a ZooTV Edge beanie! Was it ever on sale as merchandise? Would like to steal his pants also. Maybe I should have been a boy :lol:

I don't think it was, and I do think it's a huge missed chance for U2.com. if they were to sell Edge beanies and Bono's sunglasses they'd make heaps more than they already do.

I did get patches made for mine, so I'm close to having my own. Just have to fix them up on the beanie yet. :D

I don't think it was, and I do think it's a huge missed chance for U2.com. if they were to sell Edge beanies and Bono's sunglasses they'd make heaps more than they already do.

I did get patches made for mine, so I'm close to having my own. Just have to fix them up on the beanie yet. :D

Be sure to post a photo when it's finished! I need to make one as well :cute:

But I think Gav was referring to how pretty much everything during Zoo TV sounded and looked cool and stylish! I don't think "classy" is that bad an adjective to use in this context.

Now if you call Popmart trash and throwaway, I can kinda see it. But of course it was all drenched in irony. And Popmart was cool as heck too but not quite as classy as Zoo TV. In my humble opinion.

:up:

You're right, Zootlesque.

Good post.

:sad:

It's the Zoo baby, Christ, everything from Zoo TV was so classy.

True, even if it is a slight misuse of the word. However, I love this claw. It makes the giant arch and screen of PopMart look miniscule. This claw is so cool that I barely remember last tours screen of ball lights.

And yeah, I always called him the Zoo Baby.

I've always wanted a ZooTV Edge beanie! Was it ever on sale as merchandise? Would like to steal his pants also. Maybe I should have been a boy :lol:

Don't know about the pants, but one Edge beanie was available with the ATYCLB special collector's box. It wasn't a Zoo era beanie, but it was a replica of the beanie Edge wore for the ATYCLB era. :)

Back
Top Bottom