Does Bono alone = U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Myke Hawke

Babyface
Hey guys. I'm not a die-hard U2 fan or anything, but I thought this looked like a cool forum with some great discusion, so I joined.

I like U2's earlier work alot more than I've liked their post 2000 material. Beautiful Day is a cool track though. My favorite band is Guns N Roses. In Chinese Democracy you could really hear how inspired Axl was by U2. Some of the synth filled orchestrations were very reminiscent of U2's earlier work.

How do most U2 fans feel? If every one of the U2 members were to leave but Bono, would it still be U2? Does Bono alone warrant the name? This is a hot topic on Guns N Roses forums for obvious reasons. Just curious how most fans of another band would feel?

Glad to be here.

Welcome to the forum

FYI, its well known to any serious U2 fan that even if one member of the band is unable to go on, then that will be the end of U2. The band members have stated this themselves. They are not interested in making new music as U2 if one of them is not there.

No, not just Bono. I do think, however, that if Larry and Adam were replaced, the band could still be considered U2.

I suspect two members of the band and most of the hardcore fans wouldn't agree with that however. :wink:

According to many idiots, it is.Check youtube for proof of that.

According to anyone with half a brain U2 are NOTHING without each other. Even if it's just one person missing, it would not be the same band and they would not be able to do what they do now. That easy.

Oh ok. I had no idea that this has been addressed previously. interesting.

Here's the thing, let's say the bassist leaves (don't even know his name), would that end U2? I bet a half a decade from now that Bono and the rest of his boys would be willing to tour as U2 without him, especially if it meant increased ticket sales and selling out arenas (which it would).

I think Adam will stick around in U2, seems to be a good thing going for him right now. He's not exactly that talented as far as professional base players go, let's be honest here.

Oh ok. I had no idea that this has been addressed previously. interesting.

Here's the thing, let's say the bassist leaves (don't even know his name), would that end U2? I bet a half a decade from now that Bono and the rest of his boys would be willing to tour as U2 without him, especially if it meant increased ticket sales and selling out arenas (which it would).

... His Name is Adam Clayton.

And it would end u2. They're not just a band, they've been best friends for over 30 years. Without him they would not continue and none of their big fans would want them to.

Welcome to the forum

FYI, its well known to any serious U2 fan that even if one member of the band is unable to go on, then that will be the end of U2. The band members have stated this themselves. They are not interested in making new music as U2 if one of them is not there.

This.

Bono + Edge + Adam + Larry = U2. Always has, always will.

Also this.

... His Name is Adam Clayton.

And it would end u2. They're not just a band, they've been best friends for over 30 years. Without him they would not continue and none of their big fans would want them to.

What I highlighted in red. These guys have know each other for decades. They wouldn't carry on without each other.

Welcome to the blue crack.

I don't like G' n R' since the other members left. It just is not the same.:sad:

I feel the same about U2.
What I love is the four of them....together!:love:
One missing would change the dynamics too much.

I don't like G' n R' since the other members left. It just is not the same.:sad:

I feel the same about U2.
What I love is the four of them....together!:love:
One missing would change the dynamics too much.

Really? When did it stop being Guns N Roses? When they released the Use Your Illusion albums in '91 without Steven Adler, was it still GNR at that time? How bout when they released The Spaghetti Incident in 93' without original rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin? Was it still GN'R at that time?

Or are you just now thinking that "it just isn't the same" because Axl released a Guns N Roses album in 2008 being the sole original member?

I bet if Bono were to do something like this, there would be fans who would support him doing so. Plenty of bands carry on even tho original members leave, especially if it is a drummer/bassist.

I'm not welcoming him until he learns the feckin names of the band members first! :grumpy:

:lol::tsk: I was trying to be nice. :wink:

Here newbie.

Bono ( well you know him. :wink: )

Mr The Edge ( Guitar )

Adam Clayton ( Bass )

Larry Mullen Jnr ( Drums and the one who started it all off. :love: )

Now back to the topic. Bono would not carry on without his friends. :heart: They all talk about how they are all apart of the band and no one is bigger than the band. Will not happen. :wink:

It just seems to me that Larry and Adam (drummer and bassist) take part in the songwriting as well - it's not like Lennon/McCartney, or another band where one or two members take all the songwriting credit - it always says "Lyrics: Bono (and The Edge) - Music by U2". U2 is U2. Not Bono and The Edge with a rhythm section. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Really? When did it stop being Guns N Roses? When they released the Use Your Illusion albums in '91 without Steven Adler, was it still GNR at that time? How bout when they released The Spaghetti Incident in 93' without original rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin? Was it still GN'R at that time?

Or are you just now thinking that "it just isn't the same" because Axl released a Guns N Roses album in 2008 being the sole original member?

I bet if Bono were to do something like this, there would be fans who would support him doing so. Plenty of bands carry on even tho original members leave, especially if it is a drummer/bassist.

There's a biiiiig difference between U2 and GnR. GnR have had a revolving door of members since their inception (in fact, Axl is the only member for the entire period), and, they've gone through long periods of being inactive. U2 have recorded and toured consistently for 30+ years with the same four members.

So, you can hardly compare the two. With U2, it would be a shock to say the least. With GnR, when someone leaves, it's typical.

To be truthful, when it was just Axl left and he made an album on his own with all new members, that was just ridiculious to me.

U2 is different. Period. Sure Bono could do solo work and still get support, but you couldn't replace a band member with someone else and still call it U2. They have said as much........

Obviously you don't really know what U2 is all about. They are more than just a band. The guys need each other. As many have said before, U2 wouldn't be U2 if one of them left and they know it. Their work is based on friendship, family and community, as corny as it may sound. I don't think they are comparable to any other band out there. You could go and ask your question for any band, but with U2, it's different. Please go learn some things about the band you want to discuss here. The individual names would be a good start.

Calm down all, this man is curious about how hardcore fans feel without being a diehard fan himself. He posed a question to us. Let's not expect him to be as familiar with how U2 operate as we are.

I'm not welcoming him until he learns the feckin names of the band members first! :grumpy:

You dont have to be a 'die hard fan' to be a member here.

Calm down all, this man is curious about how hardcore fans feel without being a diehard fan himself. He posed a question to us. Let's not expect him to be as familiar with how U2 operate as we are.

:up:

It just seems to me that Larry and Adam (drummer and bassist) take part in the songwriting as well - it's not like Lennon/McCartney, or another band where one or two members take all the songwriting credit - it always says "Lyrics: Bono (and The Edge) - Music by U2". U2 is U2. Not Bono and The Edge with a rhythm section. Oh and welcome to the forum.

This is very true. They all write the music. :up:

The sum of this band does not equal its parts....that includes Bono....I think they all understand this. They have transcended normal rock band behavior and figured out a way to stay together for the long haul. I think this speaks volumes about their egos and the love that they have for each other. Dare I say it is a God thing? What ever the cause, I am happy to be around to reap the musical benefits.

their process is unique, and would make it very hard. i think bono and edge could do an album and have it be very much a u2 sound, and could pass for u2-but they would never do it. their process, and more importantly their friendship will keep them from ever doing anything as U2 without all 4 being involved.

since i am not even a casual gnr fan, this means little- but there is no way the current incarnation is guns n roses.

Obviously you don't really know what U2 is all about. They are more than just a band. The guys need each other. As many have said before, U2 wouldn't be U2 if one of them left and they know it. Their work is based on friendship, family and community, as corny as it may sound. I don't think they are comparable to any other band out there. You could go and ask your question for any band, but with U2, it's different. Please go learn some things about the band you want to discuss here. The individual names would be a good start.

wow. that was rude and uncalled for.

anywho, i don't think it's a bad question or discussion. it makes me wonder at what point in U2's career the band could not go on....even without one of the members. if Adam had left the band after the October album, would U2 have been able to survive? what if Larry left after the Lovetown Tour? would U2 have still made albums under the U2 name? all interesting things to think about.

welcome to the forum! :wave:

i had Larry and Adam mixed up for about a year after joining the forum!

:lol:

I'm a fan of all kinds of bands I can only name one or two members of. :shrug:

Don't stone me, but musically, I think Adam probably is the most expendable. But would they go on without him (or any of them, really) at this point? Not a chance.

Back
Top Bottom