Does anyone listen to 'Love Comes to Town' or 'Love Rescue Me' and feel embarrassed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love LRM. I wouldn't consider WLCTT a favorite, but when it comes on the radio I always listen and sing along.

The only U2 song that makes me cringe is A Man and a Woman. I can say that it the only song that I genuinely dislike.

This thread has been a fabulous read :up: and I concur with those who applaud the lovetown renditions of LRM - it was truly fabulous to hear live and a marked improvement on the relatively dodgy album version . . .lyrically I think its gorgeous.

WLCTT gets the old skip from me I'm afraid . . . but I think the bono / band bashing over the R&H era is a little unkind.

I actually really like that they gave something they had long admired their own spin despite the fact that they really were putting their heads on the chopping block in the eyes of the critical music media . . . they've always been a band that has revelled in their fandom, revelled in their belief of themselves as musical novices and in the case of R&H I think that this fandom and their attempts to honour it were just wildly misconstrued.

R&H standouts . . . All I Want Is You, Hawkmoon and Heartland :up:

there's nothing about U2 I feel embarrassed about
and not just because I would have to be an idiot being embarrassed about what U2 does

love these 2 songs
classics

I think the real pretension is to feel "embarrassment" over anything a band does. Are you in the band? Are you related to the band? Do they employ you in some capacity? I mean, if not, why would any song or action on their part cause actual embarrassment?

There are plenty of U2 songs that I dislike, despite being a huge fan. I don't particulary like or dislike the two songs the OP mentions.

And, you know, when I was 27 years old, if I had gone from being relatively unknown to alternative/college radio darlings to the cover of Time magazine in less than 7 years (I'm rolling with Boy's release, not the band's formation)....and clearly had a bit of an ego to begin with, then, yeah, a lot of this shit would have gone to my head and who knows how that would have manifested itself. I mean, when I went from a cubicle to an office for the first time at work I thought that was pretty neat.

I watch R&H and can certainly see the band losing their way (though, I cannot imagine U2's songbook not including All I Want is You or Heartland, so some good came out of all of this), but I guess I'm not so lofty that I find it embarrassing or comical or anything outside of an interesting look back at what can happen to a band when they start to buy into their own image and hype.

:up:

Silver And Gold (live) on R&H is awesome! I love every bit of it, including the slightly humorous "Okay Edge, play the blues!"

The contrast of B. B King's guitar work and Edge's guitar play just sounds so off and out of place to me. They just don't match, it just brings the whole song down for me. Lyrically, it sounds like typical Bono-speak of that time period. Love Rescue Me is alright lyrically, but I always found it missing something. It's amazing to think that they made R & H right after such a classic as Joshua Tree. There were much more interesting b-sides from that period that would made R & H better rather than a track like Helter Skelter or even All Along the Watchtower covers.

BB King actually mailed it in more than Edge did on WLCCT. He just plays the exact same set of licks over and over again during the outro.

His vocal is pretty awesome though. I dig that.

What are you talking about Bono doesn't know reggae and/or at least Bob Marley?

Sorry, I guess U2 is actually a reggae band from the north-side of Dublin. I stand corrected.

This is what I'm talking about: Imagine if Miley Cyrus and an opera singer put Bono into the Rock and roll hall of fame. Appropriate, don't you think?

You're way off the mark here. Way off. Even if this is your 'opinion', your statement is factually incorrect.

I see, thanks.

Yeah now all the attn needers are coming out of the woodwork. (Sad society we live in)
like you, who could have scrolled right past the thread but instead needed to come out of nowhere to bitch about the point of the thread? especially given a number of people have replied agreeing, and it's actually stimulated worthwhile discussion instead of stupid shit like "is bono fat?" i think i know who is screaming for attention.

sad.

like you, who could have scrolled right past the thread but instead needed to come out of nowhere to bitch about the point of the thread? especially given a number of people have replied agreeing, and it's actually stimulated worthwhile discussion instead of stupid shit like "is bono fat?" i think i know who is screaming for attention.

sad.

LMAO! I actually have a life and come here to discuss logical concepts, hence 500 or so posts. I think it's sad that some posters feel like they are in a philosophy class and want to make something out of nothing. However, if you want to feel embarrassed about life and music go on and continue with thousands of posts about worthless shit. I'm not going to waste my time researching what you write about but if you're going to sit around and harp on a rational statement - good on you (I believe thats a proper Austrailan phrase).

I'm here to appreciate the band and try to enjoy some of the company. So, I think a thread is pointless - what's it worth to you that you have to pick fights with someone who disagrees with ill contrived statements or philosophical rambling. Hell if you're embarrassed on the premise of those two songs, you might as well show up to the next show with a paper bag over your head!

you're entitled to think a thread is pointless. but you do not need to come in here saying that. as it's been pointed out, the first 100 posts in here have been harmless. i'd appreciate it if the next 100 can be the same as well.

LMAO! I actually have a life and come here to discuss logical concepts, hence 500 or so posts. I think it's sad that some posters feel like they are in a philosophy class and want to make something out of nothing. However, if you want to feel embarrassed about life and music go on and continue with thousands of posts about worthless shit. I'm not going to waste my time researching what you write about but if you're going to sit around and harp on a rational statement - good on you (I believe thats a proper Austrailan phrase).

I'm here to appreciate the band and try to enjoy some of the company. So, I think a thread is pointless - what's it worth to you that you have to pick fights with someone who disagrees with ill contrived statements or philosophical rambling. Hell if you're embarrassed on the premise of those two songs, you might as well show up to the next show with a paper bag over your head!

you have a life and don't post often, so you decide to drop one of your gems in here? we should all be so honoured. did you even read the thread at more than face value? i don't see what post count has to do with it - i only just saw what yours was when you brought it up. i also don't understand why you're making a big deal about a proper australian phrase...what makes you think i'm australian?

do you even know what i think about the songs? no. so don't assume because i pulled you up on charging into a thread and citing attention whoring as to being the purpose of it as any defence to how i actually feel. if you're here to appreciate the band and enjoy the company, why even open a thread you might disagree with?

anyway, you're clearly a prat and this was a rare mildly decent thread in here so i'm not going to waste any more time or bandwidth on you.

edit: wouldn't have even spent my time composing this reply if i'd seen the above post before i submitted.

Of course if no one had responded the "offending" post would have been just one droplet in a downpour and would have quickly disappeared down the storm drain.

(yeah, yeah, I know -- wonky imagery there. Poet I ain't. :D )

I actually love lighthearted discussions about the less, ahem, successful songs* in bands' catalogues. Having these kinds of songs often shows a willingness to try things that are a little different, at least for them. So I love that bands have "what were they thinking?" songs even if I don't actually love those songs themselves.

(and I am well aware success or lack thereof -- especially on an artistic front -- is a completely subjective term. I hope everyone else posting on any message board also understands that, since it's a pain in the ass to have to add IMO. Then again, I shouldn't have to ever post IMO, because everything I post is fact. :D )

Of course if no one had responded the "offending" post would have been just one droplet in a downpour and would have quickly disappeared down the storm drain.
i have already addressed the post. i really do not appreciate you coming in behind me, undermining what i said and trying to stir up more drama.

this matter is closed, i do not want to discuss it anymore in this thread and drag it further off topic.

This thread has been a fabulous read :up: and I concur with those who applaud the lovetown renditions of LRM - it was truly fabulous to hear live and a marked improvement on the relatively dodgy album version . . .lyrically I think its gorgeous.

WLCTT gets the old skip from me I'm afraid . . . but I think the bono / band bashing over the R&H era is a little unkind.

I actually really like that they gave something they had long admired their own spin despite the fact that they really were putting their heads on the chopping block in the eyes of the critical music media . . . they've always been a band that has revelled in their fandom, revelled in their belief of themselves as musical novices and in the case of R&H I think that this fandom and their attempts to honour it were just wildly misconstrued.

R&H standouts . . . All I Want Is You, Hawkmoon and Heartland :up:

good post.

when i do my album rankings, R&H is usually at the bottom, just because i prefer their atmospheric sound (TUF, 90's, NLOTH). but one thing you can say about R&H is that it is unique and unlike any other U2 album. so even though i only give it a spin about ever 6 months, i usually enjoy it quite a bit when i do.

Sorry, I guess U2 is actually a reggae band from the north-side of Dublin. I stand corrected.

:rolleyes:

This is what I'm talking about: Imagine if Miley Cyrus and an opera singer put Bono into the Rock and roll hall of fame. Appropriate, don't you think?

Your example fails to be remotely analogous.

Your statement was that he doesn't know reggae music. There's no opinion involved, you're just wrong.

The best thing about R and H was the three U2 albums that followed it.
As for Playboy Mansion, a great song in my view. I do not have a problem with the lyrics being firmly set in the 1990s- we need artists to sum up a given moment so future generations can make sense of the past. Moreover, I think Bono's more "specific" songs are his most compelling- the more "universal" he gets with his lyrics the more vague he seems.

What's not to like about this song??? I don't get it.

Love rescue me
Come forth and speak to me
Raise me up and don't let me fall
No man is my enemy
My own hands imprison me
Love rescue me

Many strangers have I met
On the road to my regret
Many lost who seek to find themselves in me
They ask me to reveal
The very thoughts they would conceal
Love rescue me

And the sun in the sky
Makes a shadow of you and I
Stretching out as the sun sinks in the sea
I'm here without a name
In the palace of my shame
Said, love rescue me

In the cold mirror of a glass
I see my reflection pass
See the dark shades of what I used to be
See the purple of her eyes
The scarlet of my lies
Love rescue me

Yeah, though I walk
In the valley of shadow
Yeah, I will fear no evil

I have cursed thy rod and staff
They no longer comfort me
Love rescue me

Sha la la...sha la la la
Sha la la la...sha la la...
Sha la la la...sha la la la
Sha la la la...sha la la
Sha la la la...sha la la la
Sha la la...

I said love, love rescue me

I said love
Climb up the mountains, said love
I said love, oh my love
On the hill of the son
I'm on the eve of a storm
And my word you must believe in
Oh, I said love, rescue me
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah...

Yeah I'm here without a name
In the palace of my shame
I said love rescue me

I've conquered my past
The future is here at last
I stand at the entrance
To a new world I can see
The ruins to the right of me
Will soon have lost sight of me
Love rescue me

It's beautiful. Please point me to where the bad lyrics are. I cannot believe the OP compared Top 40 garbage like Vertigo and Elevation to this beauty.

The post of the thread!! Thank you, discussion over.

Seriously, one of the most beautiful songs that U2 has ever written, sung amazingly well by Bono. I have always loved this song.

Nothing wrong with WLCTT either.

The best thing about R and H was the three U2 albums that followed it.
As for Playboy Mansion, a great song in my view. I do not have a problem with the lyrics being firmly set in the 1990s- we need artists to sum up a given moment so future generations can make sense of the past. Moreover, I think Bono's more "specific" songs are his most compelling- the more "universal" he gets with his lyrics the more vague he seems.

:up:

The post of the thread!! Thank you, discussion over.

Seriously, one of the most beautiful songs that U2 has ever written, sung amazingly well by Bono. I have always loved this song.

Nothing wrong with WLCTT either.

agreed:up:

Imagine if Miley Cyrus and an opera singer put Bono into the Rock and roll hall of fame.

That would be fucking awesome.

As for the original question...no. Not these two songs specifically. But I have felt embarrassed for the band when it comes to a number of things they've done. Mostly having to do with this most recent album. I don't personally feel embarrassed, but I feel embarrassed for them. Big difference.

Back
Top Bottom