Do you usually skip Numb ??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addicted To Bad

Refugee
... lost on the Horizon staring at the sun!
I do ! and I feel a little uncomfortable and guilty doing that ...since it´s U2. It´s an intriguing U2 song...though. I like Edge´s voice and the lyrics but..
In order to understand my behaviour I searched for some opinions in different forums and some are very :ohmy:

- it´s U2´s worst song... just awful

- it´s just all about media / social control via television

- it´s all about drugs / addiction (4:20 official smoke time) ?!

- it´s different but good

- most everyone hates this song !

WOW !! :huh: Do You ??

I like it... it is very far from being the worst U2 song, but it isn't the greatest. There are a lot of better songs on that album.

I'm not a terribly huge fan of the album version, but I don't really skip over anything on Zooropa.

The Best Of version is awesome. One of my favorite songs of theirs. The few things they changed in the mix made all the difference in the world.

Off Zooropa

1. Lemon
2. Stay
3. Numb

Numb is still very good but Lemon and Stay are ahead by a bit imo.

:hmm:

I don't like Numb much...it's just numb..and once you get over the "wow this is cool and different" phase and listen to the song their isn't much that's good about it

I don't know what some of you people are expecting from this song! :huh: It's wasn't supposed to be this great song. It's just something fun and spontaneous they did at a time when they weren't afraid to do something so crazy! I think the song by itself is pretty interesting and the video only makes it better! I love how there's a few seconds of blank screen in that video with a tiny little waft of cigarette smoke on the left side of the screen before Larry comes and sits down. They were so spontaneous and nuts back then! :love:

Zoots I'm all for them doing something crazy but to me

A safe great song > an average song that's experimental

I'm sorry but I'd rather something that was ordinary but good than something experimental and crap (IMO)

I love Numb. It's not the best on Zooropa (it's hard to beat Stay or Leeeeemon), but I don't skip it when I'm listening to the album or a concert. It's a very cool song.

Zoots I'm all for them doing something crazy but to me

A safe great song > an average song that's experimental

I'm sorry but I'd rather something that was ordinary but good than something experimental and crap (IMO)

Numb is not crap! :rant:

We'll agree to disagree. :wink:

No, I don't skip it. Numb is brilliant. The Best Of 1990-2000 version betrays the spirit that the song was born from in the first place.

I love "Numb" and would never skip it, as it's my 2nd or 3rd favorite on that album.

By the way, am I missing something about the "Best of" version? I found it unlistenable back when that came out, and have never returned to it. It sounded like they had added a bunch of unnecessary reverb and taken away some of the parts that I liked. Maybe I should hear it again...

I love "Numb" and would never skip it, as it's my 2nd or 3rd favorite on that album.

By the way, am I missing something about the "Best of" version? I found it unlistenable back when that came out, and have never returned to it. It sounded like they had added a bunch of unnecessary reverb and taken away some of the parts that I liked. Maybe I should hear it again...

Bono's "I feel numb" falsettos are replaced by a full-voiced guy singing "I feel numb". The rest of the falsettos are still the original falsettos, but every time "I feel numb" is sung, it is full-voiced, not the falsetto. It betrays the spirit that the song was born from in the first place.

Numb has taken awhile for me to like it...now I rarely skip it...but I used to skip it all the time....

The drumming is great, and Bono's falsettos are awesome over Edge's low toned rapping....

Another song I've come to like quite a bit is Babyface...I used to think this was one of U2's worst tracks, now I look forward to it on Zooropa...and the transition from Zooropa into Babyface is perfect I think....something about those songs back to back...like when Zooropa ends, the opening to Babyface is exactly what I'm expecting.....and I get it everytime :yes:

Bono's "I feel numb" falsettos are replaced by a full-voiced guy singing "I feel numb". The rest of the falsettos are still the original falsettos, but every time "I feel numb" is sung, it is full-voiced, not the falsetto. It betrays the spirit that the song was born from in the first place.

But tell me, does it betray the spirit that the song was born from in the first place? :wink:

Numb has taken awhile for me to like it...now I rarely skip it...but I used to skip it all the time....

The drumming is great, and Bono's falsettos are awesome over Edge's low toned rapping....

Another song I've come to like quite a bit is Babyface...I used to think this was one of U2's worst tracks, now I look forward to it on Zooropa...and the transition from Zooropa into Babyface is perfect I think....something about those songs back to back...like when Zooropa ends, the opening to Babyface is exactly what I'm expecting.....and I get it everytime :yes:

I think Numb is fun to try to sing to. Bono's fat lady voice is very enjoyable.

My favorite part of Zooropa is simply 5:00 in the song Lemon. I can't explain the beauty it relays to me.

It's like to flying through an overcast layer and bursting out into the blue sky over a white sea of clouds. (I know....that's a very selfish analogy but try to imagine).

and the transition from Zooropa into Babyface is perfect I think....something about those songs back to back...like when Zooropa ends, the opening to Babyface is exactly what I'm expecting.....and I get it everytime :yes:

I get what you're saying here but I think that's more because you're just used to listening to those songs back to back. For example: EBTTRT..One is not great flow but I still expect One to start every time EBTTRT ends.. cos I'm used to listening to them that way.

Numb is a great song

Babyface is the worst song I've ever heard in my entire life.
Okay... maybe not, but it's pretty damn close. I think I've heard it twice my whole life and that was enough. :yuck:

No, I don't hate it (I do wish Bono had tried a lyric for that riff...). I used to skip it, but not anymore. I like the Best of remix too.

Back
Top Bottom