Do you recall... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:03 AM
I honestly don't remember my exact reactions. I'm sure I loved it right off the bat.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:03 AM
My first U2 album was actually War...got it in February '83. TUF I got around release, but I don't think day of release. I'm not 100% sure but I think I DID get The Joshua Tree the day of release. Rattle & Hum I'm sure I got the week of release, if not day of. I'm pretty sure I got all of these at Tower Records. Boy, October, UABRS and WAIA I got along the way but don't remember exactly where or when.

First one I really remember details about buying was Achtung Baby, I was living temporarily in Washington DC at the time and bought it at the mall in Pentagon City, it was on a Saturday, so not on the day of release, but that weekend.

If I didn't buy JT on the day of release, then Zooropa was actually my first day-of-release buy, I nipped out from work in Queens at lunchtime and got it the neighborhood CD store.

I'm sure I got Passengers OST the day of release, but can't remember the circumstances.

Can't remember all the circumstances with Pop, by this time I know I got it the day of release, but not much else...I think I vaguely remember getting this first thing in the morning at Tower in Greenwich Village, which would indicate I may have taken the day off.

I actually got All That You Can't Leave Behind the Friday night before release, I found a record store in Greenwich Village specializing in UK imports - while they won't sell the domestic release until the official date, they exercised a loophole and WOULD sell the UK import early... I then bought the US release on the official date at Tower.

I did the same with How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, got the basic import release the Thursday before street date - I brought it with me for kicks to the Brooklyn Bridge show, which was the day before official US release, people were envious I had it already. On the official day of release I bought the super deluxe edition with book, etc., I think it was at Best Buy in the Village.

No Line on the Horizon leaked in its entirety three weeks before release, so I felt no pressure to get it early this time. Also I was recovering from a pulmonary embolism that had me in the hospital for the week right before the leak, and my leg was pretty stiff and hard at the time, so I had a lot of trouble getting around, especially stairs, so I couldn't use the subway yet. I'd just gone back to work but working at home a couple of days a week. Release day was a "work at home" day, but I mentioned I had a Dr.'s appointment that day...a small fib. I hobbled to the express bus in front of my building and got out at the stop in front of the 23rd St. Best Buy at about noon. I WAS just going to get the super deluxe box set and go straight home, but I saw on my phone that they were naming 53rd St. U2 Way at around 2PM, so I hailed a taxi to Broadway, hobbled a block to the side of the Ed Sullivan Theater and saw the boys at the street naming.

U2 7 - I went back to my old neighborhood in Queens the morning of release and picked it up at Target.

Best Ofs, U218 - I picked these up after work on the day of release at Best Buy.

Wide Awake in Europe - got it at J&Rs in lower Manhattan, was on line at 7:45 for an 8:30 opening on Black Friday.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:03 AM
from what I can remembere

To the best of my knowledge, I've picked up every album at Best Buy at some point over the past ten years (except October, which I got at another store for less than $5 at the time!). HTDAAB and NLOTH were both picked up the day it was released.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 03:03 PM
right not totally sure on each, I mean exact days and stuff....but me thinks, me got a Joshua Tree cassette prob after a few of their singles were released from it, so yea 87.

Achtung, I got for someone as a b'day prezzie, on cassette, they only liked the one song on it, so I kept it.

PoP, I remember buying in Virgin Megastores, when the stores back then were awesome and still had some cassettes knockin around and headphone stands to listen to new albums out. there was double excitement, for me , when on the night PoP concert came here, I was in Virgin and they had U2 playing, and the newspaper was headline about them comin with photos of Bono kissin the ground, and I could hear people talking about going to the gig, actually think some were in Virgin still getting tickets.

Elevation think I bought in Tescos store.

there are just a few of their albums I dont have yet. the rest like the Wide Awake in America and Rattle and Hum, October, Boy, etc - half were bought at place called Grahams Music which is closed now, and prob others in HMV.

not sure if I got anything from Our Price when it was open.

I miss those stores, they hold some nostalgic moments for me thinkin about them, now they are closed
Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Artist View Post
No Line on the Horizon leaked in its entirety three weeks before release, so I felt no pressure to get it early this time. Also I was recovering from a pulmonary embolism that had me in the hospital for the week right before the leak, and my leg was pretty stiff and hard at the time, so I had a lot of trouble getting around, especially stairs, so I couldn't use the subway yet. I'd just gone back to work but working at home a couple of days a week. Release day was a "work at home" day, but I mentioned I had a Dr.'s appointment that day...a small fib. I hobbled to the express bus in front of my building and got out at the stop in front of the 23rd St. Best Buy at about noon. I WAS just going to get the super deluxe box set and go straight home, but I saw on my phone that they were naming 53rd St. U2 Way at around 2PM, so I hailed a taxi to Broadway, hobbled a block to the side of the Ed Sullivan Theater and saw the boys at the street naming.

You definitely win the Trooper award. That's amazing.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:48 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:03 PM
Let me see if I can think back that far...
In order of release:

Boy: I got this one as a Christmas present in 1992. It was the last album I still needed of them to have everything they released up to then. The music wasn't new for me though, as I had lended a copy from the library in late 1991 and taped it.

October: Bought this one in Germany in February/March 1992. In those years we (family + some friends of my parents) would go to Germany for a few days during Carnival and during that short holiday we made a day trip to a city nearby (it could've been Freiburg, but I'm not sure). Bought October in a department store (together with a bootleg of their Boston 1981 concert in the Paradise club).

War, Under A Blood Red Sky, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree: Bought them in spring 1992, probably in the same shop I always bought my CDs (Videoland, originally a video rental store). And probably also in that order. I can still remember the situation for The Joshua Tree; was in the car with my mother (maybe also my sister), had a quick stop at the shopping mall, I went to that store while my mother and sister went somewhere else and I quickly got back with the new CD: The Joshua Tree!

Rattle And Hum: This was my first U2 CD. I bought it in September (maybe October) 1991, a few weeks before The Fly was released. It is the album with which my fandom started. So it has some sentimental value.

Achtung Baby: Bought this one in December 1991. I did not get it as a gift for St. Nicholas (the other big give-a-present feast in the Netherlands in December, a few weeks before Christmas), so I bought it myself a little while later.

Zooropa: Bought it on the day (or in the week) of release in a department store (V&D) in Hilversum. I remember my first listen of that album being interupted a few times by people walking into my room. :gumpy:

Passengers: Bought it on the day of release in an independent music store in Maastricht. I was in university by then and went to the shop the moment they were opening up.

Pop: Bought it on the day of release in an independent music store ('t Oor) in Hilversum. That was a great day for music, as I also got the terrific boxset Tougher Than Tough: The Story Of Jamaican Music for relatively cheap, plus 2 singles by dEUS.

The Best Of 1980-1990: I bought this one somewhere in Spain, as I was there for an internship. It might've been in a shop in León.

All That You Can't Leave Behind: I have no recollection where I bought this album. It was probably on the day of release, but where...?

The Best Of 1990-2000: I think I got this one in a big electronics store (Media Markt) in Utrecht, more or less on the day of release.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: It's getting boring, but I got this one on the day of release in an independent record store in Utrecht (Plato). That same day there was a fanclub meeting in Utrecht, so I went to that one immediately after I'd gotten the album. The album had leaked before, so I'd already heard the songs.

18 Singles: No idea again how or where I got it. It might've been through an online shop. I was not really concerned in getting it on the day of release, as I already had everything, except the DVD. Wherever it was cheapest, that would be my pick.

No Line On The Horizon: Got it through Amazon.co.uk. A few weeks before release the deluxe edition was really cheap, so I ordered it. Got the album some days after release date. But that was OK as it had leaked a bit before.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Boy - stole from friend

Pop & all that you can't leave behind were day of release purchases from borders.

I had intentions of buying atomic bomb on midnight of its release at tower records in times square but a friend caused a small incident so it never happened... just downloaded it instead.

Never owned a physical copy of no line... digital only.

Can't really remember the rest
Old 03-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

I found my sister's copy of All That You Can't Leave Behind in like, 2002 when I was about 10 years old.

It's mine now