Do Edge and Bono really have tinnitus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wanted to ask you and stealthboy, at the shows where this happened to you, did you feel any unusual discomfort? Like, did you know during the show that it sounded/felt exceptionally loud? Or was the sensation the same as being at any other loud show, and you had no warning till you realized the buzzing/ringing wasn't going away?

VP I know you didn't direct this question at me, but if it helps, the show which left me with it permanently was noticeably louder than most shows I've seen, even U2. U2 is comfy compared to this. However it wasn't like it was painful to my ears but yes I knew it was damn loud. I had my fingers in my ears as much of the time as I could. Seriously I wish I would have left the show, don't know why I didn't.

Sorry about the OT. I also don't believe I have ever heard Bono or Edge specifically say it, but of course they may have.

I wanted to ask you and stealthboy, at the shows where this happened to you, did you feel any unusual discomfort? Like, did you know during the show that it sounded/felt exceptionally loud? Or was the sensation the same as being at any other loud show, and you had no warning till you realized the buzzing/ringing wasn't going away?

For me, I did not notice anything particularly different about the one Vertigo show. It's not like my ears ached during the show. Before then, I'd always have ringing right after the shows (bad sign!), but it would go away by the next morning. This time, it just never went away. :sad:

i got to admit the first Melbourne gig, i was in the inner circle, did seem exceptionally loud. i had ringing for about an hour afterwards or so.

i got to admit the first Melbourne gig, i was in the inner circle, did seem exceptionally loud. i had ringing for about an hour afterwards or so.

that was fucking loud
i remember a certain bit in beautiful day where edges squeaky guitar solo thingy before "see the world in green and blue" killed my ears
my ears did ring till the next day
this thread is making me paranoid about getting tinnitus

I did feel it was way too loud. I felt like the bass was over the top even though it was only Garland Jeffreys, which is normal pop music. It vibrated through my stomach and I had a strange feeling in my ears. Not that they really were hurting. But more a feeling of I can't almost take this anymore because it is so loud. Really like someone is shouting in your ear very hard and you feel like running away. I do remember I held my left hand over my left ear for a while. (I was closer to the speakers on the left) And that's also the ear where I have more hyperacusis (overly sensitive to sound), strangly I have a lot more different tinnitus sounds in my right ear. I also have more haircell damage on the left.

So yes, if you feel annoyed by the loudness you MUST get away or wear plugs. The stupid thing is, when you're there with friends it feels like it's impossible to say ; I'm leaving. I wish I had left...I should have followed my intuition. I was thinking the whole day to take my plugs, and when I was driving to the festival I thought; WHY did I forget them. At the festival I tried to find a stand where they sold them, but they didn't have any. It was sort of I knew in advance something was about to happen.
(I must say I had these kind of intuition things before, whether you believe it or not...I always say to myself I should trust my intuition more, but I keep ignoring it too much.)

Although not everyone has this sensation before their T. You can get it without sort of sensing a discomfort in advance. But if you feel it's annoying it is definately too loud for you. I think the pain level for your ears is around 120Db which waaaaaaaayyyyyy over the top. And I guess that's what you feel...like I did. So it must have been that loud for a while I guess.

I have all the U2 dvd's and when I look at 360 you see those speakers in front of the fans around the stage, when I see that, I always think Jeezus it must be horribly loud over there. It's normal for wanting to be really close to the group you admire, but it's the worst place for your ears. The concert before I had it, was also a festival, suddenly we got from a security guy free tix for the golden circle. Oh boy....a wall of speakers right in front of us. You're whole body was vribrating. I instantly put the plugs in and it was bearable. But when I put them out again to check, it was like an attack on your ears. I honestly think they should have a NO GO zone around speakers for a couple of meters. And check with a Db meter to check the safety. But they just let people stand right in front of it.

It's strange security at festivals, concerts and even people who work at disco's or bars are obliged to wear hearing protection here in Belgium. So they are safe. But the people who visit these places are not warned and they are exposed to what they (the organisers) already know is too loud. We live in a strange world.

And it's everywhere. I'm a teacher and at a school party young kids were placed right in front (they nearly touched them with their heads) :doh: by the teachers to look at the spectacle. People are so ignorant...everyone should be informed about the dangers of loudness.

So if you have a bad feeling about the sound level get away or put in your plugs...if you don't have any...leave...no matter how annoying that must be.
(maybe you can ask security or people who work at a show if they have a spare set of plugs, I know from my best friend who is a Madonna fan that the security handed out plugs to the front rows. He refused, but when the show started he instantly felt why they offered them. He immediately thought of me... now he's thinking of getting custom plugs)

But you won't have any regrets afterwards...

phyx-mysigjjjjjjjk.jpg

Thanks for posting your experiences stealthboy, herci, and you too, comet (I missed your earlier post talking about the Dylan show till just now, or I would have asked you, too. Also - Dylan? Wtf? Ha).

So it sounds like the shows that cause it can be anything from loud in a physically uncomfortable way, to just loud with no other warning. Hopefully your stories will cause others to think more carefully about their hearing at concerts.

Hey folks, I need a favour.

Someone is Belgium is starting a decibel petition. The organiser will give it to the government. We want more laws that protect us againt hearing damage. (hearing loss, tinnitus, hyperacusis).

The website is also in English, it only takes a while to sign.
I would be very happy if you could help this guy out. He's got the same problem as I do, just from one concert.

So if you want to sign, go here:
NO to high decibels!
Just fill in your name and email (will not be spammed) and the security code and you're done.

Thanks in advance
greetings and a happy NY
Michèle

Hey folks, I need a favour.

Someone is Belgium is starting a decibel petition. The organiser will give it to the government. We want more laws that protect us againt hearing damage. (hearing loss, tinnitus, hyperacusis).

The website is also in English, it only takes a while to sign.
I would be very happy if you could help this guy out. He's got the same problem as I do, just from one concert.

So if you want to sign, go here:
NO to high decibels!
Just fill in your name and email (will not be spammed) and the security code and you're done.

Thanks in advance
greetings and a happy NY
Michèle

What are the limits? Some have done this before to abolish outdoor rock concert altogether.

They don't want to forbid any concerts. But a level 105-120 is unacceptable.
Being exposed to this for only 5 minutes causes instant and irrepareble hearing damage.
Regulations should be around 95-105 decibels.

A kid went to a movie theatre in Belgium (Inception) there were often peaks of 117 db. That is crazy. The 14 yr old got tinnitus and hyperacusis. We just want limits that won't cause this horrible stuff.
Organisers are often denying this, so was the movie theatre chain. They said it was allright. Until they went in there with a decibel metre, they had to admit that it was way too loud.
Organisers often know that they are exposing their audience to damaging levels, because certain bands don't want to play at a limit of 95db. So I they don't raise the volume, there is no show.
If there were regulations, then the bands know in advance. And there would be no way out of this.

All for the money...

They don't want to forbid any concerts. But a level 105-120 is unacceptable.
Being exposed to this for only 5 minutes causes instant and irrepareble hearing damage.
Regulations should be around 95-105 decibels.

A kid went to a movie theatre in Belgium (Inception) there were often peaks of 117 db. That is crazy. The 14 yr old got tinnitus and hyperacusis. We just want limits that won't cause this horrible stuff.
Organisers are often denying this, so was the movie theatre chain. They said it was allright. Until they went in there with a decibel metre, they had to admit that it was way too loud.
Organisers often know that they are exposing their audience to damaging levels, because certain bands don't want to play at a limit of 95db. So I they don't raise the volume, there is no show.
If there were regulations, then the bands know in advance. And there would be no way out of this.

All for the money...

In Canada and possibly the US, they have legal limits with a fixed number and have had people checking for at least 40 years. Not sure if it's a fine after the show or if they can demand changes then and there.

Plus the US is so lawsuit crazy that overly loud event don't occur. 105db is plenty loud.

Though I shoudl point out that this would mean that My Bloody Valentine and some other metal/loud internationally renowned acts would be barred form playing locally. The audience that attends those knows what they are getting into - and some openly offer free earplugs at the merch table.

Plus the US is so lawsuit crazy that overly loud event don't occur. 105db is plenty loud.

That's a pretty flawed premise to go on. 105 and up happens all the time. By purchasing a ticket and entering a venue you do agree to abandon any claim against them

"THE HOLDER OF THIS TICKET ASSUMES ALL RISKS AND DAMAGES DURING OR AFTER THE EVENT INCLUDING SPECIFICALLY (BUT NOT EXCLUSIVELY)...(etc)...THE TICKET HOLDER AGREES THAT THE ARENA, THE LEAGUE, TICKETMASTER, ITS OFFICERS, AND EMPLOYEES, THE PARTICIPATING CLUBS, THEIR OFFICERS, PLAYERS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS ARE EXPRESSLY RELEASED BY THE HOLDER FROM CLAIMS ARISING FROM SUCH CAUSES"

- back of a U2 Vertigo ticket, CAPS theirs. :wink:

Just to let you know; in a MAJOR magazine in Belgium, in two weeks time, two readers letters have been published claiming they have tinnitus and hyperacusis since the U2 concert in Brussels 2010. Knowing that they only publish 10 letters or so, for a reading audience of one million people, there might be a LOT more...
I'm sick of it. Mine got published too. The festival I went to, 3 years ago has had numerous reactions on their website claiming the same thing. Last week a 21 yr old boy said he got it this year at the festival.

I'm so tired that people can ruin other people's lives just like that...
My life is HELL. Sometimes I think I'd better be dead, I'm 28 and my life is nothing of what it was before. It makes my stomach turn if I read these things.

If I can prevent that other people are getting it, in this time (NOW everybody know is bad for your ears, but they are still avoiding the discussion), I'd make my life worthwile again.

I could say, I don't give a SH*T anymore and pretend nothing happened and not speak up and don't talk about it. I won't be cured by talking about it and posting things like this. I'm doing this FOR OTHERS. Because my life is over.
I don't want it to happen with others anymore. Stop being a hypocrite, that's my message to all the concert organisers.... :angry:
Why selling or handing out earplugs...just turn it down a little.

To compare it...
By going to a concert unprotected here in Belgium, it is the same thing as having unprotected sex. You can get AIDS, here you can get tinnitus.
When you have unsafe sex, it's a choice you make.
When you go to a concert or a festival with 20 000 or 50 000 others, you expect that they know and care a little about everyone's health. Because they know the dangers. But still, you never know what to expect.

I'm not pretending to be blind and mute anymore. I speak up, because I know what hell is.

And what doesn't help amongst you concert goers, is since MP3 personal players came in, even more so with the Ipod, you probably play them too loud,especially when walking along a street with busy traffic,you turn it up to drown out the traffic,this (even though it doesnt sound like it at the time) can be the equivalent of standing next to a jumbo jet taking off! They reckon that in less then 10 years we will be seeing a high portion of young people with some deafness requiring a hearing aid because of it! So bet you those that suffer from concerts,your not doing yourselves any favours having your personal player on full whack! And of course can lead to tinnitus too!

And yes I am knowledgeable! Worn a aid all my life so was born with it, but still makes me cringe when nowadays seeing people with earphones in their ears is almost as strange as it would be walking down the street without clothes on! lol :)

Just to let you know; in a MAJOR magazine in Belgium, in two weeks time, two readers letters have been published claiming they have tinnitus and hyperacusis since the U2 concert in Brussels 2010. Knowing that they only publish 10 letters or so, for a reading audience of one million people, there might be a LOT more...
I'm sick of it. Mine got published too. The festival I went to, 3 years ago has had numerous reactions on their website claiming the same thing. Last week a 21 yr old boy said he got it this year at the festival.

I'm so tired that people can ruin other people's lives just like that...
My life is HELL. Sometimes I think I'd better be dead, I'm 28 and my life is nothing of what it was before. It makes my stomach turn if I read these things.

If I can prevent that other people are getting it, in this time (NOW everybody know is bad for your ears, but they are still avoiding the discussion), I'd make my life worthwile again.

I could say, I don't give a SH*T anymore and pretend nothing happened and not speak up and don't talk about it. I won't be cured by talking about it and posting things like this. I'm doing this FOR OTHERS. Because my life is over.
I don't want it to happen with others anymore. Stop being a hypocrite, that's my message to all the concert organisers.... :angry:
Why selling or handing out earplugs...just turn it down a little.

To compare it...
By going to a concert unprotected here in Belgium, it is the same thing as having unprotected sex. You can get AIDS, here you can get tinnitus.
When you have unsafe sex, it's a choice you make.
When you go to a concert or a festival with 20 000 or 50 000 others, you expect that they know and care a little about everyone's health. Because they know the dangers. But still, you never know what to expect.

I'm not pretending to be blind and mute anymore. I speak up, because I know what hell is.

Can I ask which magazine you are talking about? (I live in Belgium too^^)

(Wow - at exactly this moment I'm typing my mum is reading HUMO and tells me about these letters. Quite a coincidence!)

When I went to the concert in Brussels, there were moments my ears really hurt, so I'm very glad I don't have tinnitus now. I certainly don't doubt that it is possible getting from going to one concert. When I look back at it, I feel really stupid for not wearing earplugs.

I'm really sorry about you (and the others) having tinnitus and I want you to know your stories have really convinced never go to any concerts again without wearing earplugs.

And what doesn't help amongst you concert goers, is since MP3 personal players came in, even more so with the Ipod, you probably play them too loud,especially when walking along a street with busy traffic,you turn it up to drown out the traffic,this (even though it doesnt sound like it at the time) can be the equivalent of standing next to a jumbo jet taking off! They reckon that in less then 10 years we will be seeing a high portion of young people with some deafness requiring a hearing aid because of it! So bet you those that suffer from concerts,your not doing yourselves any favours having your personal player on full whack! And of course can lead to tinnitus too!

Same as standing next to a jumbo jet? No Possibly dangerous? Yes

People have been saying this since the invention of the walkman, yet I haven't seen any study that's shown a spike of hearing aids in certain age groups. Maybe it exists, but I haven't seen one :shrug:

Same as standing next to a jumbo jet? No Possibly dangerous? Yes

People have been saying this since the invention of the walkman, yet I haven't seen any study that's shown a spike of hearing aids in certain age groups. Maybe it exists, but I haven't seen one :shrug:

BVS, sorry but I think you're being very ignorant here. I had a walkman as a kid. I was certainly not as loud as the ipod I bought 5 years ago.
You can listen to an ipod much longer, more music, long battery life. These days every kid has an ipod (even in primary school/I'm a teacher there). I don't remember that when I had a walkman, everyone had one.
The thing with mp3 players is that you gradually destroy your hair cells. Getting deaf may only show up 15-30 years later.

For a fact I know, because I have this problem and have been to nearly every possible hospital, that doctors (ENt's) are FLOODED by youngsters who have hearing damage from concerts etc. There is one center in Ghent that offers TRT (tinnitus retraining therapy) and they are again FLOODED by helpless people. Even from a nearby country (The Netherlands). If you come from the Netherlands and you want an appointment you'll have to wait untill 2012!!!.
Belgians have to wait 4 months for an intake, and then again 4 months for a first consultation.

If you go to the antwerp university hospital, 3 years ago there was a waiting list of three months. Now it's a YEAR.

A lot of people don't know this problem, most of them don't talk about it, music industry tries to hide it, etc..
I have it, I was the one with an article in that magazine. In three months time 4 people contacted me with the same problem. 3 guys in their twenties. One had studied 4 years to get a music degree (guitar), 3 months from graduation he had to stop. His future is ruined. One guy of 52, who was a well know musician in my country. With him we're trying to reach concert organisers. He used to record the Montreux Festival for years, over there, there a strict limitations and things like that don't happen over there. So it is possible to organise concerts at a decent db level, without damage.

Again, you might think it won't happen to you...I thought the same. Now here I am.

BVS, sorry but I think you're being very ignorant here. I had a walkman as a kid. I was certainly not as loud as the ipod I bought 5 years ago.
one.

What am I being ignorant about? People did say the same thing with the invention of the walkman. I had earphones back then that were a lot louder than my earbuds now.

BVS, you don't have it. So you don't know this world. I had many people contacting me. Young people. Who are scared to tell others what they have.
It took me 3 years to tell my boss, that I had T and H. WHY? Some people just don't get it...they think oh she's a whiner. I won't keep her employed. 50% of people with hyperacusis have to stop working.

It's a hidden world. In Belgium there an plenty of musicians that are now coming out of the closet, claiming they have tinnitus for years but they didn't dare to tell. It's not good for your business to tell your fans you got tinnitus from your own shows.

Then you have another category of people who live with this without knowing what exactly they have, because they have no knowledge of it.

If you don't believe me, I suggest you phone your ENT and ask the question. if there are more youngsters with T and/or H than 10 years ago. I'm sure the answer will be positive, no matter what really caused.

People over here are trying to get into the press and it's extremely difficult to get noticed often ministers don't respond to press releases of tinnitus organisations.

So if it's hard to get the press, to talk about it to your co-workers, boss and family, if you don't know what you got...etc...It's not difficult that you don't hear so much about it.

By the way, the thing I'm talking about is concerts. I have been to several. Just one gave me tinnitus and hyperacusis. But I have NO hearing loss. I do have damaged hair cells. Which means, my hearing is damaged but no hearing loss is showing yet. Might be the same thing with the Mp3 players. Slow detoriation of you hair cells and then a couple of concerts and suddenly BAM you got tinnitus.
It's proven not to be healthy, that's all I'm saying.
Whether you have more people with damage from ipods than walkmans, honestly I DON'T CARE. All I care about is OTHER PEOPLE'S HEALTH.

Here in Belgium, right now, it's an epidemic if you ask health centers and hospitals. So there must be something I guess.
There are also more than 200 causes of tinnnitus, trying to find out where it comes from it not their priority as they don't have a cure yet. But they think 90% is because of longterm or sudden NOISE exposure.

Sometimes I feel like I have to convince the pope that condoms are safe...That's how hard is it to make people understand the dangers of high decibel levels.

BVS, you don't have it. So you don't know this world.

You're right I don't have it, but that doesn't make me ignorant. I know it's very serious, never once have I pretended otherwise. Maybe you're misunderstanding me.

But I just don't believe in the hyperbole that an mp3 player can be the same as standing next to a jumbo jet taking off. Standing next to a jumbo jet taking off and you're almost guaranteed hearing issues. Responsible earphone or earbud use and you can go a lifetime without issues.

that's right BVS. There are time limits according to the volume.
I never listen to the ipod since, I just can't stand it anymore.
Also in Europe Ipods and other mp3 players have volume limitations which makes it all a bit safer.

Don't know if this is already the case in the US.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. I'm having a real hard time know with this problem. And some people are asking for my help which I'm glad to offer.
I'm very stressed and tired. Also sometimes people don't understand how hard it is...and how quickly and easily it can happen to them. Again: I could say I don't care, but I do. It's the only thing that keeps me going for the moment. My own life is wasted, if only I can prevent it to happen to others...

Back
Top Bottom